Returning Protoss Player Here!

I am returning to the game and want to know what is being played rn. I am a gold player when I last played. (A few years ago am sure I decayed)

I still have my build order written down. I prefer to play eco toss with a third nexus @ 4:30 then attacking at six mins. Is there any units that favor current eco toss?

sounds like a 2-base timing with a warp prism

–> PvP: 4 adepts or 2 adepts into 2 stalkers or 4 stalkers or 1 sentry + 1 stalker + 2 more stalkers or even more sentries (opening usually blink if you go for 4 stalkers or stargate if adepts or robo after any of the above)
If you have problems vs. 1 base allins, think about shield battery /ies and rushing an immortal (1 gate or 2 gate robo and more gates depending on economy).

You should be good with 2-3 immortals, a warp prism + gateway stuff (stalker/sentry or maybe immortal/chargelot depending on the opening of the other toss)

PvZ: Most players open up probe scout after pylon into 1-2 adepts for the 2nd scout into some attack including a warp prism. (chargelots with 1-2 warp prisms is pretty strong and if you open up with 1-2 oracles, you can expand with 3 adepts + 1 sentry to take the 3rd very early.)
If you are gold or below, I’d advise you to a 2-base timing and take the 3rd while your army a-moves the zerg (don’t forget recall if you can’t kill the zerg but did some damage with minor losses - at least the expensive units like immortals and sentries)

1 Like

vs. terrans you either open up with a 1 adept rush or 1 stalker rush (+1 chrono-boost on the gate) - the adept builds faster than the stalker if you’re late with the cyber core or went gate - nexus - cyber core.

Then something like blink stalkers into storm + charge (1 tech per base in general like blink after you take the 2nd base and charge, then storm after you got the 3rd base and 1 forge after you took the 3rd base - 2 forges if you’re greedy or feel safe).
Dunno how many gates you need per base though - maybe someone can add that.

You can also google “Vibelol bronze to gm youtube” though you should focus heavily on macro and timings there.

Post some replays if you need further help. (still drop . sc or sc2replaystats . com AND you can’t posts link directly here so think about the spaces around the dots with links)

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I have been winning about half my match vs other gold players and winning all my matchs vs silvers.

Probe
Probe
Pylon
Gateway
Probe
Probe
Nexus
Probe
Assimilator
Cybernetic core
Assimilator
Stalker
Research warpgate
Stalker
Robotics Facility
Gateway x2
Stalkers
Observer to enemies armies
4:30- Third nexus
Warp Prism
Forge
Twilight council
More gateways
Robotics bay
Research toss weapons
Research blink
1-3 disruptors
Attack when ready probably around 6-7 mins
Launch disruption orbs at unattended armies
Use prism for reinforcements

I have destroyed most marine/marauder/MedVac armies as well as defeat most roach armies. My problem is when I get rushed by zerglings/banelings. Idk how well I do vs Protoss since out of 15 games I only fought one protoss player. I did lose since I messed up my build order (it was my earlier matches)

Honestly I have never used adepts before. I assume those would be good vs zerglings and banelings?

Disruptors are awesome vs rather slow moving ground armies like roach/hydra, roach/ravager, protoss death balls and clumped up terran bio (mech rather not, maybe vs. tanks or better clumped up tanks when you are on the high ground and terran doesn’t have vision).

VS. ling/bane, you can go for stalker/archon/immortal + storm or collossi. Sentries help a ton but require some micro as well as storm (storm + protect high templars from banes) - a few chargelots don’t hurt but a ton of chargelots crashing into banes is not what you want. Adepts are also bad vs. ling/bane if you don’t split them and again force fields are needed here.

Think of Adepts as expensive reapers with more hp.
2 Adepts can 1-shot all workers except SCVs afaik (only 2x22 damage <45 hp so for SCVs you need +1 attack upgrade to 2 shot them).
And marines have the same hp without combat shields.
What you often see vs. zerg is mass adepts in the early game before roaches are out (adepts are bad vs. buildings like hatcheries, spines crawlers or roaches, queens but great vs. lings if you reduce the surface area).
So you shade between the 3rd zerg base and zerg main base to keep the army busy and evade damage. Like 10-20 adepts can kill a ton of drones and thus even win you a game.
BUT adepts delay your tech same as reapers so they have a “hidden” cost because you’re not building units you’ll want to use later.

Vs. Protoss you can also go immortal/adept/voidray or immortal/archon/voidray/chargelot (max dps because of different range).

Vs. cheese and in pvp, shield batteries help a ton - just build 1 shield battery blindly if you expand vs. terran, protoss or zerg (near your 2nd nexus and the entrance towards the opponent).
If you have a shield battery behind your wall vs. zerg, even a probe is unkillable for a long time (vs. zerglings). An adept with a shield battery can kill like 20 lings - maybe more.

1 Like

vs. zerg you need to scout so probe after pylon and adept in the wall, then sentry makes you very safe (then robo for observer, then warp prism to kill overlords near your base). You don’t need an adept in the early game vs. zerg - you can also go 2 stalkers and then warp prism to kill the overlord on the pervert pillar or near your main base (2-4 stalkers with a warp prism is a very solid opening vs. zerg because you can hunt overlords very early without any opposition unless zerg builds like 15-20 lings).

1 Like