Reduce the energy cost of the Sentry's Guardian Shield

The balance proposals are very good, I am very surprised, the buffs to the Sentry seem good but I would add reducing the energy cost of the Guardian Shield to 50, this would help defend in very uncomfortable moments. I believe that it is a change that should have been applied a long time ago because many changes have been made to help Protoss defend themselves.

2 Likes

I don’t think reducing the energy cost of guardian shell would be a noteworthy change.
Sentries just don’t have enough value; even if they’re full energy, if forcefield isn’t strong enough, which it isn’t right now in any match up (because of ravagers in PvZ, and because of blink/archons/medivacs/unit range in PvP and PvT), they’re not worth having more than maybe 1 of for guardian shell or hallucination scouting outside of the odd play of force fielding the main ramp while killing tech when the opponent lacks an answer, and even then, it’s usually not worth it outside of the very early game.

They just aren’t strong enough to be worth using beyond the scouting/occasional G-shell. Better if they just remove forcefield to get rid of that abuse case (or re-work the ability so normal units can destroy forcefields with damage or something, as people called for for years back in WoL/HoTS), bump the range up to 6 or 7 so they aren’t sitting vulnerable in front of other ranged units, and/or give them better stats or make them cheaper.

5 Likes

I don’t see the reason to invalidate my proposal on the grounds that the Sentry doesn’t have enough value as a unit, the point of the proposal is just that, to slightly increase its value as a unit, but making bigger changes would greatly affect the strategies of abuse protoss players at diamond level and up can do.
The Protoss is a race that is slightly more dependent on vespene gas than the other 2 races, so a Protoss player cannot afford to create Sentries to fill themselves with energy, this would slow down a Protoss player too much because the Sentry It is very expensive in gas and that gas must be used to keep up with the technology development of the other 2 races, so reducing the cost of the Guardian Shield would help both to defend and attack.
I have been in many situations where the Guardian Shield could have evened the scales slightly.

1 Like

Probly most effective is make force fields like fungle but no damage just reduces speed on enemy side.

Double size of force field remove ravager bile ability.

I am not against the ideas proposed here but these are very big changes and the big problem is that these could break the next proposed balance. You need to do a lot of real testing before proposing a huge change.
Not all good ideas are big changes, adjustments are also necessary in the game balance, lowering the energy cost of Guardian Shield is a small change that provides a slight improvement and it would not even be necessary to test to see if this change can unbalance the game.
If someone has a small change it would be good to mention it in the forum, not everything has to be a huge change.

I think it would be better to extend the range of shield by 1 so it always covers zealots in the early game.

Right now, when a sentry and a zealot attack the front line of bio, the zealot is always just outside the range of the shield. It’s also too prone to being picked up by enemy phoenix when you’re trying to keep your own phoenix shielded due to its short range on shield.

Perhaps include an upgrade that extends its range again by +2, so it can be kept safe in the back of armies.

honestly id prefer a reduction to the cost of hallucinate. It’s such a silly tricky ability, but it has almost no use except to scout. Like, let me hallucinate 10 workers, and use them as sacrifices to the god of widow mines. That would actually be a fun interaction.

3 Likes

I don’t really see what this does I have never had issues activating it and generally find the only reason im not making them early is protoss has such a great gas dump in archons later not making them means more archons and storm later on. I do still like them for early pushes and ramp blocking all ins as well as mass FF colossus plays