Raynor "Rebel Raider" Orbital Command and Armor Tech requirements to Starport

The “Rebel Raider” Prestige unlocks tech requirements for the starport, but you still need to build Barracks and the Factory relatively early on to unlock the orbital command and armoy for upgrades. This kind of defeats the purpose, and I suggest moving OC and Armory prerequisites to the starport instead, so you can skip building Barracks and Factory entirely.

9 Likes

I agree with moving OC and Armory over to Starport. Doing so would really make this talent feel more viable.

Right now you’re forced to go down the exact same build path as you would for mass bio. The first 15 minutes feel bad because you’re so starved for mineral, since unlike a mass bio build, you have to sink extra mineral into things like tech requirements and extra gas.

The increased mineral disadvantage feels hefty. I don’t know if addressing the above tech requirement issues would fix it on its own. Your early game is nearly non-existent since it costs 224 mineral to get a single Viking out. Being forced to build a Barracks and some Marines just to have an early game sets your build power-spike back even further.

I agree that the disadvantage being increased mineral cost makes sense, but 50% makes the mass mech fantasy unrealistic. I would happily do away with the “top bar cooldown” part of the advantage and lower the gas decrease to 15% if it would mean lowering the extra mineral cost to 30%.

2 Likes

I honestly think Rough Rider is better for mass air than Rebel Raider. The bonus from afterburners is insane, and more than makes up for the reduced gas cost of Rebel Raider. It kinda makes Rebel Raider redundant.

Kit 3 is sort of a meme kit for people who like going BC’s. It lets you rush out a BC quickly so you are not entirely reliant on calldowns. I dont think its good for solo play, but if you have an ally who can carry the early game, kit 3’s late game power level is extremely high. You can have the hyperion on the field half the time once you reach 100 supply of air units. The hyperion is probably the strongest and most versatile calldown unit in the game and being able to deploy it with 50% uptime is insane.

Letting you build armories without factory would be a nice change. Letting you skip rax isnt as big of a deal since you typically do want some medics for free healing. But all of Raynor’s kits are superior to vanilla Raynor so I don’t think any one needs more buffs.

Perhaps Kit 3 needs a more focused tradeoff? Starport units have normal costs, but both Factory and Barrack units have 25% increased mineral and vespene costs to reinforce Raynor’s Skyterran focus.

1 Like

You don’t need a ground army with Kit 3. Ground armies just slow down a BC fleet. If units cost the same then kit 3 would be as overpowered as kit 1.

1 Like