Pro Players were Bad and Slow in 2010 compared to 2021

Yeah it does look like they are playing SC BW in the SC2 client. Eventually the game evolved into what it looks like today.

:bug: :bug: long live the swarm :bug: :bug:

It’s the same as traditional sports, compare the numbers to the old time and you will se that current sport is highly competitive compared to the old sports, and not counting possible drugs. Same sport but better diets, better training regimes, sportists more dedicated to the sport leads to better results.

1 Like

At least you have figured out how to have a conversation and stay on topic…

In the context of this topic, that’s exactly what I said…

:man_shrugging:

So then you agree that WoL players are “pretty bad and slow,” correct?

2 Likes

2010 Pro play is 100% trash when compared to 2021 Pro play, this is not even debatable … Clown.

Makes me wish I could travel back in time with my current skills. Ya’ll would be saying “Ohhhh dat DankTemplar’s user name sounds so cute when a tiny Korean women is saying it with a heavy accent.”

WoL pros were hilariously bad, like…honestly current gold leaguers do about as good as they did for the 1st 2-3 years of StarCraft 2 lol.

Bows are just trash and garbage compared to machineguns.
If they were to compete they would get wrecked.

2 Likes

Korean casters yelling : DANKU TEMPURARU YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

1 Like

Lmao you dont even know with hindsight what was strong in wol. Theres a reason youre the leader of the ppp.

1 Like

Pretty sure I’ve a better idea than you, please keep your insanity limited to 1 thread. TY!

You were playing in plat after 10k games when i was versing gms in 2011. Your learning curve is a wonder of the world.

1 Like

Higher talent pool helped.

1 Like

You are a literal plat/gold street waste spewing nonsense all over the place. Have this fun fact: no pro from 2010 or 2021 cares about what you have to say.

1 Like

So… do you or dont you think that pro players from 2010 are bad and slow trash and should have uninstalled and would have been wrecked by their 2021 selves?

I think you are just bringing about a very bizarre comparison, and asking past selves to uninstall makes absolutely no sense…

4 Likes

It is not that they are slow and thrash, if they continued playing probably many would be at the pro level today. But pros today have been playing the game for longer, and have a better understanding of the game as well. 2010 pro games were played very sub-optimally, and people played it as if it was BW. And for many of them it became evident that they were surpassed by newer pros. MvP Nestea and MC, the three big names of WoL all fell out of favor in HotS and were surpassed by new and better players. Which is the normal cycle for a game.

Early BW cannot hold a candle to players like flash and JD either, heck not even Boxer in his prime came close to those two in their prime. It is just how it works in any sport E-Sport or others. This does not take merit out of them they were great, but noweadays pros are simply better.

But to suggest that they are comparable in absolute terms to the skill today is ridiculous. Maybe we can do a relative comparison, and then we can argue from there.

In general I’m not sure what the point of this thread is, besides the obvious that the game wasn’t much figured out at release. Worth noting that Diamond league was the highest league at release/beta.

LotV has been changed so much from WoL that it’s debatable if it can even be considered the same game. If LotV pros had to go back to WoL, they might not do as well for a little bit until they readjust to the old gameplay. I doubt the Protoss players would be happy with the old balance, but Zerg might come out on top.

If pros continued to be pros, they’d be pros today. Thanks for gracing us with this genius-level statement.

Comparing BW to Wings to LotV is like comparing apples to oranges to lemons. But I can pretty confidently state that if you think SC2 is harder to play at pro level than BW, that you are very mistaken and I doubt you even played BW.

Wow, if you can indicate where I pointed out or even implied that SC2 was harder than BW please let me know, or is it that you did not like what I posted and decided to make up stuff to criticize me with?

BTW I think BW is an amazing game, but I acknowledge it is harder than SC2, I have never stated the opposite. Although I do say that it is harder for the wrong reasons (UI and AI limitations of the time).

I said the obvious statement there because I was interacting with OP and even acknowledging that old pros were really good but limited to the knowledge and depth in the game of their time.

Anyways I dont know how else to respond other than suggest that you understand the context, and read other people’s post carefully and honestly before you post your own nonsense.

But here it goes, yes games are very different, but the core mechanics are the same. As expansions come optimization happen quicker than it does when the game comes. I argue that Optimized LotV gameplay has much more variety than optimized WoL gameplay. Early WoL was fun because it was no optimized by the players, and because SC2 was so new and people kept playing as if it was BW (when in fact it was a different game altogether) that you saw a lot of suboptimal builds that made the game fun and unpredictable. Once it got figured out we got the late WoL meta which is one of the worst and most predictable (after HotS meta) Starcraft has ever seen.

Hope that clarifies.

1 Like

They didn’t have F2 all army back then which would befuddle a lot of ladder heroes.

2 Likes

That’s true, I never thought of that. I suppose they would be solid masters players after all.

1 Like