Prestige selection with random mission (and random partner)

Trying to float an idea here for prestige selection to happen after the map has rolled? Perhaps once both players are loaded in, we get a splash screen for 30 seconds where both players can pick prestige and mastery (and players can see both their own, and their partners) ?

This would allow for choosing a prestige that is not completely handicapped by the map, but also allow for synergy between people playing with random partners too.

After both players have locked in their choice it could skip the 30 seconds and start the match.

I’m just imagining scenarios where you get a Karax/Sawnn Turret build on a largely mobile offensive map and other horrible combos on maps that don’t meld with the chosen prestige.

3 Likes

Custom Mutation already has such a screen to select mutators, so it would be nice to get a screen like that to select prestige and mastery loadout before every match.

1 Like

As an afterthought it might also be really cool to have the enemy composition on this screen also. Would be nice to be able to actually apply all these new options we’ve been given effectively.

No to composition, that has to do with scouting v teching

1 Like

I mean, you can tell if it’s Zerg the second the match starts and your’e not really making any tech choices before the first wave which reveals the composition anyway, and then there’s the fact that half your tech options are nerfed into oblivion with some pretiges.

Don’t think it would take away much just allow for you to not get your prestige hard countered.

I feel like this is something we’ll never, ever see despite the demand for it. I’m not sure why, but I think they just don’t have the know-how in what’s left of the co-op dev team. Going all in on strike fighters with H&H both with prestige and mastery just to get an enemy air comp sure isn’t fun though.

It also only requires sending a worker out at the very start of the game and taking a peek before the composition icon pops up, so people calling it “scouting” is a bit generous. If you understand how far you need to run in before it appears, you can even save the worker. It takes no time at all and it doesn’t do anything to help being hard countered like the above example.

i honestly chuckled at the “scouting” part myself.

That’s why it is called Prestige. One should have developed enough skill to deal with this by the time they get P3. It is not called “easy win no matter what”

1 Like

What? How is getting a particular prestige that is instantly countered by RNG at the start of the game “dealing with it?” Your prestige and masteries are immediately wasted. The best you can do with air strikes vs air comp is clear out the minority of the army that’s ground units or destroy structures. It’s neutered from the get-go.

2 Likes

I’m with Fiddlefaddle on this one, your response makes no sense in the context of what we’re talking about here, care to elaborate?

1 Like

That is assuming the prestige are balanced and is “a new way” to play the commander which i can hardly say is balanced at all.

When blizzard says “fix” I understand “nerf”. They will fix prestige asap, and you’ll go back to defaut commander.

You still can win without prestige and masteries. We just re-leveled to 15 without those. It is called playing to achieve a goal, not playing to do what you want.

If I play Karax and want to build carriers, but enemy rolls mass lings, I do not continue with carriers, I adjust and make a few colossi and counter enemy lings.

That’s why this is a real time strategy game. If you see that you can’t go platforms and your ally does not cover air well, change your approach. After all, you chose to play at prestige level.

Again, you don’t understand, and your example proves it. Exactly what Karax prestige is hampered by not being able to build carriers? -40% unit cost is -40% unit cost, not -40% carrier cost. Meanwhile, both a mastery and prestige is immediately made useless if H&H is up against an air comp. Pretty big difference, buddy. Yeah, you CAN build something other than strike fighters, but in that case literally any other prestige/mastery selection would both be more strategically viable and more fun than a half-crippled kit.

1 Like