Please nerf drone spam

Spamming drones is to zerg what f2+aclick is to protoss. It’s the “no skill” way to play zerg. You just turtle and spam drones. You end up with such a huge eco you can just amove into the opponent and win. Literally nothing else is relevant at that point. Inject is the real issue here, and not the late game mass baneling that gave professionals in Code S so much trouble. We gotta get rid of this nonsense if we want to bring skill back to the zerg race.

I suggest reducing the larva produced by inject by 1. Obviously this will obliterate zerg’s win-rates. We can compensate with buffs to aggressive zerg units like the nydus. A good start would be making nydus tier 1 and allowing mining through the nydus. This will make drone-spamming turtle-zergs a thing of the past.

I say this as a zerg player: please make zerg require skill again. Than ks!

lmao starswar11 is already a TvP only tournament and you want to make it a usual occurrence? -1 for EXTREME bias.

I am 100% serious. I would trade -1 larva on inject for a hatchery tech nydus that could be mined through. Drone spammers are so obnoxious in all matchups, and that includes ZvZ. I am playing Livibee, right. And I kill her main base, kill her third like 5 times, and she still has an economic lead because she’s making drones and mass expanding and I am making swarm hosts and nydus worms. The sheer power level of drone spam is insane. Being ahead in workers can buffer for enormous mistakes. The aggressive player has to thread the needle in order to beat a defensive drone spammer. We’re talking 5 army hotkeys (lings 1, lings 2, nydus, queens, vipers) to beat 1 army hotkey mass muta with drone spam.

Inject needs to be hit with the nerf nuke. Drone spam is so much better than upgrade or tech styles that’s it’s flipping unbelievable. They have so much money that mistakes just don’t matter. The reason a hatch tech nydus could solve this is that the eco lead of drone spammers starts to kick off to infinity at the 3 base mark. You can’t get tech out in time to deal with that.

Another option that might be capable of combating the “ape zerg” style of drone-spam is to simply allow overlords to attack. It’s a different kind of attack. They latch on to buildings and do damage over time. Once latched, they have greatly increased armor and this makes them hard to displace, and they also cut the production capacity of the building to half. This would be a nerf to drone spammers too. They don’t know how to do anything but spam drones and amove, so if overlords start latching onto their hatcheries then they will be helpless because they can’t just spam drones and win.

If these players have half the drone production capacity, they will never win another zvz in their life. That’s the beauty of it. Now unit retainment is more important. You need good micro and positioning because each unit matters a lot. You can’t just throw units into the meat grinder and come out ahead with a bigger eco. Why on Earth eco plays are so strong is just baffling. One guy makes more drones so he wins. Yawn.

I kind of like drone spamming one of my favorite cheesy openings is to just spam hatches on 16 mineral workers until like 7 total bases even though the pool doesn’t come down until 3 if T or P doesn’t scout it fast its stupid easy and even when they all in you can kind of sac bases and just keep droning. Probably sucks against anyone good but its so fun to try and take all the bases on the map where its like 12-2 bases XD.

1 Like

Spamming Drones means they can’t make attack units. If your opponent is going that heavy on macro, punish them for it.

1 Like

Spamming drones allows them to afford nore units.

Livibee’s ZvZ is aggressively plays with muta, ling bane. She struggles against the lurker viper abusers that think they’re playing a TvT lmao. Is batz finally admitting that hydras are bad units if they can’t beat LMB? :wink:

Vs mass nydus swarm host, the mutss are purely defensive. By the time they are done chasingthe nydus, you have vipers and the ultra runbys start, so the mutas remain defensive.

Hydras hard counter muta ling bane to an extreme. It’s one of the hardest of hard counters in tge game. All you have to do is include your own banelings. Hydra ling bane absolutely trashes muta ling bane, but the risk is that you face vs a player who makes 12 mutss and switches to mass roach, in which case hydra ling bane dies. Vs mutas into roaches, the goal is light spores and extremely fast lurkers. We’re talking skipping upgrades. Vs mass muta, no banelings, the goal is fast hive and mass spores. The moment vipers are out, the mutas are wasted supply.

Mutas in general are absolute trash. Probably 3/4’s of my insane come backs are because my opponent goes mutas, and many of my thrown games are when I was doing mass muta. The problem is that parasitic bomb is way too good vs mutas. Mutas are literal trash in all matchups.