Please include browser component with the editor

With the new login process, from a simple login dialog box, becoming a HTML login page, my system can no longer log in.

Any players that choose to not run the shipped browser by Microsoft, in this case Internet Explorer (or Edge if on Windows 10), are unable to open the login page. Whether by security concerns or browser preference this editor update now excludes these players.

Windows 10: i.imgur. com/DkNLlZo.jpg (Edge is installed)
Windows 7: i.imgur. com/EPFJmbI.jpg (Internet Explorer 9.0 is uninstalled, security concerns)
Remove the empty space in the link. Screenshots taken from two machines on the same network.

Please consider including a browser component with the editor to allow players to login no matter their choice or setup of browser.

An example of this would be the Steam application by Valve. The Steam application runs a Chromium component to power their store front which works on all platforms, no matter the browser the PC is running.

I am no longer able to continue on my map as I’m being excluded due to this browser issue :frowning: .

#Edit:
Further evidence of this issue;

i.imgur . com/WhlH8Nq.jpg
Host machine has Internet Explorer removed for security reasons, login page does not display. Virtual machine is Windows 7 Ultimate (same as host) with IE11 installed. Login page is displayed in virtual machine.

Please include a browser component with this new login process. Relying on host machine to only run default applications is short sighted and can limit players from making maps, mods and campaigns for a wonderful game such as StarCraft 2 :frowning: .

Internet Explorer is not listed among StarCraft 2 requirements and neither should be expected to be installed in 2019.

Please SC2 team, hear my prayers. I’m reduced to map making in a virtual machine. It is hell.

How do you include a browser component to the editor?

1 Like

In the previous example, using Steam application by Valve, Valve package a custom version of Google’s Chromium. This version of Chromium is customized for Valve’s store front and the Steam application passes all web requests to this custom Chromium process. You may notice it in your task manager, named “steamwebhelper.exe”. It is essentially a renamed Google Chromium executable file.

Right now what Galaxy Editor is doing is that it makes a system call that requests a webpage in the dialog box. However as shown in my original post, if the client machine does not have a default browser, such as Internet Explorer on Windows 7, the dialog box will never load since the system can not comply with the request due to no browser.

My request is that StarCraft 2 team does the same as Valve and package a custom browser, Chromium or whatever their fancy is, to allow players that does not run the shipped browser by Microsoft, whether by browser preference or security concerns. That way, when the Galaxy Editor makes a webpage request, instead of sending it to the system, the Galaxy Editor requests their custom browser component to show this new login page and allow all players, no matter their operating system, browser setup or choice, to login.

Having to use Internet Explorer in 2019 is unsafe :frowning: .

Hi, so this may explain my problem here as well. I have windows 7 and im unable to log in from the editor as it stalls (no error message, just stalling). Is there a way to outpass this broken logging problem… or am I just wrong to have submitted a ticket yesterday about this issue?

1 Like

Is Internet Explorer removed from your system? If so, this will most likely be the cause of your issue. So far I know of no solution for this issue other than reinstall Internet Explorer 11.

I’m currently working on my map in a virtual machine with Oracle Virtual Box. Which is very laggy and nearly unusable. I do not recommend it to any sane person.

The more people who raise awareness of this issue, the better chance we have to get it solved, so submitting a ticket, even if they can’t help you, lets them know there is a problem for their user base. I would not hold my breath on an quick fix on this matter through, while I may make it sound easy as adding a snap in, in the original post, it is not. The sooner they start working on this issue, the sooner we can get it solved.

Sadly, there is not much to do right now other than to bug the StarCraft 2 team :frowning: .

As desired, the problem is solved. Actually, I’m grateful to you, as I solved the problem according to your information. I opened my Internet explorer and let it upgrade on its own to version 11, and I used the information from my ticket to blizzard. They asked me to clear any blizzard folder (if I had still any aside of my “Starcraft II” folder in program files) and they advised me to uninstall the battle net app from my computer and then redownloading it from their website. Functional yet. That is the solution now, thanks a lot player.

1 Like

I disagree that installing Internet Explorer 11.0 in 2019 is a sound solution. If the StarCraft 2 team insist on a HTML login page, they should also provide the browser, like many other applications does. Steam, Origin, Uplay, etc. All other companies know that requiring IE is not that great of an idea. Not to mention their webpage might not display as desired due to IE having custom add-ons installed, setup with too strict security settings and other problems that could potentially clog up the ticket support system. All issues that can be avoided by included a custom browser to ensure the HTML page shows correctly.

However I am glad this information helped you out :slight_smile: .

Yea. I too agree, using internet explorer is… dead stuff to me. Since you found out what was wrong… it fixed the problem for me so, I can at least produce stuff while their methods improve :stuck_out_tongue: . You sure are right to ask for better than internet explorer as a way to connect, I second that.