Patch 4.11.3 New Mutations

New Mutations for Patch 4.11.3

Got a lot this time; 2 months’ worth

Choices Choices

Hardened Will - Enemy Heroic units reduce all incoming damage to a maximum of 10 when any non-heroic enemy unit is near them.
Inspiration - Enemy Heroic units increase the attack speed and armor of all enemies within a small range.
Mutually Assured Destruction - Enemy Hybrid units detonate a Nuke upon death.

Rating:

Hybrids explode upon death, and they get a shield that aborbs all but 10 damage when other units are near them. The air hybrids are probably the worst here since they have a nasty tendency to just fly over your defenses and beeline the temple. Still, lots of commanders have great options for this one. Raynor has vikings and spider mines, Zagara has banelings and scourge, Vorazun has black hole, Abathur and Dehaka have locusts. The most important thing is probably to go for the offensive to give yourself as much time as possible to burst down the hybrids before they arrive at the Temple.

Inordinate Response

Avenger - Enemy units gain increased attack speed, armor, and life when nearby enemy units die.
Power Overwhelming - All enemy units have energy and use random abilities.

Rating:

The enemies are gonna be really strong here, especially with all the abilities they get. The good news is there are a ton of ways to cheese this by going straight for the Void Slivers. Hero solo might not actually be a terrible option for some commanders who have relatively squishy armies. I can see the Artanis/Karax cheese as still being perfectly viable and probably what I’d recommend to most beginners who want to do this on brutal.

By Fire Be Purged

Going Nuclear - Nukes are launched at random throughout the map.
Lava Burst - Lava periodically burst from the ground at random locations and deals damage to player air and ground units.
Scorched Earth - Enemy units set the terrain on fire upon death.

Rating:

Lots of splash damage here. Commanders with small and easy to micro armies, or very cheap armies will be at an advantage here. Tychus, Nova, and Zeratul come to mind. Long range things like earth splitters and Stukov siege tanks can also help burst down trains and waves, as long as you keep them alive. Zerglings with shredding claws will also be quite valuable here as they are expedable but deal their damage. Get detection on the ramps if you’re vs Terran.

Timely Reinforcements

Temporal Field - Enemy Temporal Fields are periodically deployed throughout the map.
Void Rifts - Void Rifts periodically appear in random locations and spawn enemy units until destroyed.

Rating:

Void Rifts always require commanders to get forces out early, or face swift elimination. On this map in particular, you’ll also be forced to rush into enemy lines to break through to far rifts while trying to defend the ships from hordes of attacks. Commanders will probably have to split roles here between rift sniping and defense.

Blind Tribute

Kill Bots - Invincible Kill Bots attack your forces until they hit their predetermined kill limit and shut down.
Short-Sighted - Player units and structures have reduced vision range.

Rating:

Feeding the bots will be a priority here, as is clearing the map as fast as possible. The bots themselves spawn from enemy buildings. Once they are gone, so are the bots. That being said, if you can full clear the map faster, you might as well end the game. Depending on your commander of choice, you may want to push to end as quickly as possible if you have expensive armies, or outlast the bots, if you have tons of cheap dudes.

Barrier to Entry

Barrier - Enemy units gain a temporary shield upon the first time they take damage.
Mineral Shields - Mineral clusters at player bases are periodically encased in a shield which must be destroyed for gathering to continue.
Just Die! - Enemy units are automatically revived upon death.

Rating:

Enemies are gonna be harder to kill on this one, but strong commanders like Abathur and Dehaka will still probably go through this within the first 12 minutes. There’s a funny trick you can do with some commanders vs Mineral Shields. If you lift off and relocate your town hall 20 distance away from the mineral patches, the shields will not spawn. It’s further, but for hero solo commanders, this is probably a good way to troll Amon.

Like Swatting Insects

Alien Incubation - All enemy units spawn Broodlings upon death.
Missile Command - Endless missile bombardments target your structures and must be shot down throughout the mission.
Outbreak - Enemy Infested Terrans spawn continuously around the map.

Rating:

Stukov, Karax, and Swann players will really love this mutation. They get to camp the ramps and get tons of free kills. For people who do like to get the objectives done, I would watch out for point defense drones from missile command. I’d opt for hitscan units on this one, if you have the option. The good news is apparently the missiles don’t spawn broodlings anymore, so that’s nice for commanders who take a while to get units.

Getting Along

Polarity - Each enemy unit is immune to either your units or your ally’s units.
Sharing is Caring - Supply is shared between you and your partner, and units from both armies contribute to your combined supply cap.

Rating:

Despite being only Brutal+2, I can already tell that this will be one of the most hated mutations in the pool. Polarity splits each base and attack wave in such a way that each player needs to defend and attack at the same time, forcing a dual simultaneous half-solo. I would probably just do a hero solo here if I had the option, just so I wouldn’t worry about supply. Alternatively since Turkey Shoot isn’t active, maybe commander supply perks will remain active, meaning Arty and Dehaka would get 400 supply from the start. Would love to see someone test this.

Knock Knock

Avenger - Enemy units gain increased attack speed, armor, and life when nearby enemy units die.
Propagators - Reality warping sludges are crawling towards you. Anything they touch is turned into a copy of the sludge.

Rating:

This one will be extremely punishing. Poopagators have always had such a fast effect that one mistake could effectively end the game. I recommend that commanders be aware at all times of poops that spawn around the map. If you don’t snipe them first, they get Avenger Buffs and they become even harder to kill. Also watch out for daybreak, since that will burn tons of enemies around the poops, effectively giving them 10 free Avenger buffs.

7 Likes

pOsT mUsT bE aT lEaSt 20 ChArAcTeRs LoNg

knock knock

3 Likes

Alarak: Force Fields, no poops enter!
Vorazun: i’m gonna flush this poop into a Black Hole.
Everyone else: cry.

5 Likes

I kinda disagree with your rating for Timely Reinforcements being Brutal + 4. Yes, Rifts are annoying, but Temporal Field is more or less an irrelevant mutator. It’s somewhat similar to this week’s muta, cause on both maps you have to protect various stuff from being destroyed, but this week’s muta seems harder since it has purifier beams - which can destroy the objectives, unlike temporal fields - and eminent domain, which makes cannon def-ing the objectives questionable.
Anyway, long story short, pick HH and snipe rifts with Strike Fighters and some good ally for them and you’re set (maybe Karax can snipe rifts fast too if he can get enough observers in surveilance mode across the map).
Long story short, I think this is a Brutal + 3, maybe even only +2 depending on commanders chosen and some VR location RNG.

Getting Along will probably be one of the only Polarity mutations that is actually enjoyable, mainly because the other mutator is more like a bonus than an obstacle. Things shouldn’t be too different than a regular VP mission, instead of clearing 1 part of the map while your ally clears the other, you now must go both on the same side (and the same for getting crystals)… doesn’t sound that complicated. Ofc, I’ve been wrong before… :slight_smile:

I’d also rate Like Swatting Insects as Brutal + 3, but that’s just me, cause I don’t like the map, probably.

This is literally using the points system Blizzard assigned for mutators. These are not “my” ratings; these are Blizzard’s.

7 Likes

Do you have any link about this rating system? Cause I only found Maguro’s ratings about this, and using that, the results are different from the ratings written here.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to get into an argument or something over this, I’m just curious.

Not gonna lie, Temporal field is actually very good on this map. Just imagine your unit being clustered in one space trying to defend a ship and they drop like right on top of your army. Re-position yourself is nearly suicidal due to infested/Voidrift spawn.
There is also the issue of “what if” the void rift spawn attack the unactivated ships due to it being count as Amon units?

What about the Mengsk solo cheese? You can still reach the far sliver with ordnance towers from your expansion, and if you do a proper reverse clear you can still nuke down the first few slivers.

It takes a few seconds for a field to actually form, so you should have enough time to move your units out of its range, but you might indeed need good micro. Still, considering other possible mutators, temporal field is not exactly threatening.
As for VR units attacking ships, that shouldn’t happen. Remember that ships are guarded and before they start activating, those units guarding them don’t attack them, so it should be no different with VR units. Maybe just towards the end, when if you don’t activate ships fast enough you end up with attacking waves on one ship while you’re still defending the other. But at that point it shouldn’t be a problem, and like I said, it only happens if you don’t activate the ships fast enough (leaving them to activate themselves).

I am saying that if those Voidrift spawn count as Amon army, they will attack the ships.
I am talking about the event where Amon army make a bee line to the ship and destroy it before you actually start the ship activation time.
Temporal field is a scaling mutator, which mean they will drop more the more time pass. Just imagine the temporal field drop everywhere and guarantee half of your army stay in temporal field, lol.
Well, will it be as brutal as the rating said? Let’s find out when it hit live.

This is the new Brutal+ points layout after the patch. Don’t ask me what 13, 14, 17, and 18 are. I don’t know either. I just assigned them to the lower Brutal+ level to make it conservative.

3 Likes

Shame that this thread got lost amongst the… others.

1 Like

Dehaka: Impaler used TENDERIZE!!! “SUPER EFFECTIVE!!” Dehaka used DEVOUR!! Wild Poopagator fainted. Ugh! Disgusting!

1 Like