Noob to Gold in one month

Wow I just made gold league after one month of play. I’m old and slow compared to many of the players out there. I can’t play 1 base all in’s, and have a hard time defending against them. But developing good habits of economics and defense are moving me up the ladder. Really long games I love, that is were true creativity shines.

I’m playing mainly a terran mech style like Vibe uses in his bronze to GM series. But I had to modify it considerably to get through silver league. When Vibe is going through gold and diamond he adapts considerably. The truth is you must make some similar adaptations to get through silver if your macro is still at silver level.

The biggest modifcation I made to Vibe’s strategy is to add more barracks and more marines. Usually I have 3 factories and 3 barracks when I lay down a third command center. The barracks is a better wall than supply depots or bunkers because it has more hitpoints. And marines just help save my butt against so many things. I don’t use stimpack or medivac or big bio balls. A squad of 6-12 marines to defend my natural before I max is good. Then I play mostly mech. But the ability to rapidly create a squad of marines and a-move them across the mini-map is unbelievably valuable. With 3 reactor barracks its super fast easy and affordable. I also like to transition from mech to bio if the opponent air cheeses my main base and destroys tech buildings.

4 Likes

good job!
Yeah - I think Vibe’s terran isn’t that noob-friendly.

1 Like

Sounds like your having fun and progressing. That is good. Mech early game is incredibly venerable to attack. Its A-move ability is strong but it takes time to get to 200/200.

Hellions will give you bang for your buck if you are using them mainly to have map control. I know a lot of players go for that +4 hellion harass that is popular. Paired with a drop and liberator harrass. nod to Uthermal.

Maintaining map control with them as long as possible is probably more important than anything else you micro early game. Poke and prod with them. They don’t last long in prolonged fight. Very squishy. Paired with cyclones and their speed it provides plenty of ways to keep a ground army at bay versus any matchup.

If map control is too micro intensive for you, you can just put those on patrol in a decent area to give you time to react.
You keep this up until you got thors and tanks out. The reason it takes long is that the build relies heavily on gas. So expanding and claiming enough gas on 3 bases and maintaining that count as you expand later is important.
I’d almost go far as to say that your entire build is dependent on how good your gas economy is.

I do like that your adapting and try to fill in gaps with marines.
Honestly walking to the enemy base with marines is a death sentence when your harassing but it can actually be just as cost efficient or better than zealot runbys.
And since Mech builds are so easy to scout, those marines will be doubly effective since he wouldnt expect it.
The only thing I’d recommend is sticking to 1 barracks /w reactor for that kind of play and get your mech out faster. Maybe try that.
There is always time for marine harass later on.