Nexus Legate - Artanis

I was very excited when the Prestige system dropped and then soured when I had to grind for options I didn’t want but Nexus Legate has made me a believer again. This Prestige is the best thing that has happened to Artanis since he blew up that planet.
This option obliterates a former Artanis limitation, mobility. Now with just 10 energy you are anywhere! Also, the warp in mechanic reminds me of the LotV cinematic warp-in scene, which makes me happy. I just wanted to drop a note of thanks to the devs for this Prestige option.

8 Likes

It’s a great prestige indeed. :smile:

It’s probably a little too powerful once you factor in his masteries. Every time you move your units, they get that warp in buff again. You can field your army with a +60% upgrade in attack and movement speed multiple times in every engagement. It’s like an instant dodge with the side effect of a stim pack… On immortals, dragoons, and tempest, oh my!

And here I was hoping Swanns HERC prestige would be better…

2 Likes

Agreed, imo this mastery is superior to Alarak’s Prestige in terms of utility (mobility).

They need to up the cost and add some cooldowns.

Cooldowns maybe, but I’ve actually been a bit underwhelmed by this mastery. The energy cost of moving your powerfield when just trying to warp units is quite inhibitive, since the time to generate energy is 36 seconds compared to 30 second cooldown. If you are used to the movability of the power field normally you will find yourself unable to ever cast orbital strike nor shield overcharge. Not to mention I find this mastery often forces me to walk back to where my army was a minute or two ago, just to actually make any use of the powerfield warp.

To me this mastery seems effective only on maps that see you playing very static aside from jumping to handle waves on the other side of the map, and for very passive playstyles from Artanis. Otherwise, it cuts too deeply into shield overcharge energy and almost as importantly into your early opener energy since you either you spend an orbital strike worth of early energy or you have to actually use pylon before gateway and a pylon at your natural rocks to expand.

I can see the motive and the lure behind this mastery, and it can be very potent. But I think it needs anything but a nerf.

2 Likes

I’ve been using P3 and loving it. I find P2 overrated (it’s great, don’t get me wrong), but there’s not much that I can do with it that I am not already doing.

Want some units on the other side of the map? You still have to get vision (by walking or ally), and pop in field and warp while still getting the bonus. Nothing really destroys your Artanis army, so the whole dodging using it is nice but shouldn’t happen with proper engagement.

Basically I see P2 is just a fail safe, but the actual benefit isn’t that prominent.

2 Likes

P2 is godlike. I think it is the most dramatic improvement for a commander. An instant teleport plus stim for your whole army, without cooldown, is insanely good. With some well placed observers, you will never get caught off guard from an attack wave. And on maps like Temple, or Mist Opportunities, I have made some allies pretty salty by just jumping right to every spawn and wiping them out. You know what I mean: the allies who complain when you use your mobility to get all the kills. I never thought I’d get that complaint while playing Artanis, the least mobile commander.

Using the starting energy mastery (only 15 points, the rest in chrono efficiency), and only using it when I need to at the beginning, I find that I have more than enough energy in the mid-late game to use it whenever I want. Obviously you can’t just spam it every time you want to warp in units, because of the 10 energy cost. But if you use it strategically, you should have plenty of energy.

This may not be the best prestige that exists. But it’s almost certainly the prestige that gives the most dramatic boost to any commander. I think that people who say it’s overrated, or not that great, just aren’t using it properly.

When it takes oplonger than the duration of the stim for the spear of Adun to generate the energy.

You can get around 85% uptime on the stim IF

1. you never cast orbitals strike nor shield overcharge.
  2. you never move the powerfield without waiting for stim to end.
  3. you never move the powerfield without first walking your army all the way back to the powerfield.

In some ways you actually lose mobility because every 30 seconds you have to walk your army back to where it started that 30 seconds. That or you have to bank energy by leaving he powerfield hanging for 2 minutes while you can’t warp in at your army and can’t teleport your army and don’t get any stim.

I don’t want to downtalk the prestige too much, it is very powerful. But you are paying a huge price for that power, and I think that in more cases than not it’s a slight downgrade.

2 Likes

I think you are just wrong lol.

It costs a little energy but nevertheless some. You can’t callously just cast and recast just for the boost. And the boosted damage is entirely unnecessary if you are using your army properly.

Getting from one end to another makes very little difference, a wave can often be dealt with a few warped in units and that’s all. Why bother:

1. Keep your army on field, or move to field.
  2. Waste 10 energy to tele across.
  3. Engage with far more units than needed.

When you can put down the field, warp what you need to deal with it. Meanwhile move your army to where it was going in the first place.

It’s like if Raynor got an insta tele prestige that costs 50 energy from OC. Why bother using it if all his units drop pods into the field? Why deal with a wave with 50 bio when 1-2FB does the job?

Like Wire said, this isn’t about down playing P2 like it’s somehow terrible. In practice, it isn’t nearly as great as many making it out to be.

1 Like

We have different practice then is seems.

It lets you defend against an attack wave and get back to the enemy base without having to spend 1.5 minutes walking through the map twice. That’s amazing.

Positioning your army is a skill in sc2. If you have to move across the map by relying on this new prestige, then there’s something else wrong.

It has many uses for sure but honestly “tele’ing troops across the map” is very limited (especially if you take a look each map).

• MO has 1 instance that you need to do that during the double wave on 3rd set.
  • TotP and Mal are long but linear, where TotP has again 1 instance of double wave.
  • OE, LL, VT, VL, CoD, RtK are very centralized, so no real need.
  • VP has the highest benefit due to lava.
  • SoA has some uses but mostly only if your rotation was terrible to begin with.

My point is exactly that as standard Artanis, you deal with this by using the original purpose of field. Leave your army in one critical spot while warping in what you need to deal with a hard to reach wave spawn.

Better uses that actually help is in pushing objectives. Where if you bombardment or your ally cleared something (like a Nova Griffin Strike), you can insta-tele in near objective sliver/shard/etc to kill it quick. That’s a real benefit you get with this prestige.

2 Likes

Actually, since Raynor can mass OC that would be really broken. Also OC generate energy so much faster than SoA that 2 Orbitals with that could warp more often than Artanis p2.

It is but it’s also only really a thing on a few maps where the waves are that far out of the way. Namely Malwarfare and Miner Evacuation being the ones that come to mind for me. Mist Opportunites would be great if the energy cost was maybe halved, but as is it’s not nearly spammable enough.

Just want to say that in the lotv campaign the boost was a permanent thing for being in the powerfield at all so the way artanis has it is kind of nerfed from that. p2 kind of brings it closer to that but not really so… I guess i’ll see if I ever decide to get it.

Finally, a reason to use that Mastery.