My Starcraft Project

Hey folks, a bit of shameless self-promotion here: I’ve undertaken a big Starcraft-related project that I want to share. TLDR, check out the YouTube playlist I’ve put together here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpIkBnvnKoRRT5MrGiX6fk4wCMNMbwC6n

I’m doing a complete playthrough of the entire Starcraft storyline and uploading it to YouTube. While a number of prominent streamers and YouTubers have done similar things in the past (Lowko in particular has a fantastic series) I’m aiming for something a little different. I want to condense each mission to a bite-sized chunk: something that’s between 5 and 15 minutes (I’ve been averaging around 10), that keeps all the dialogue and cutscenes, but also includes small bits of gameplay cut together as well. (This led to the name: Starcraft Mission Briefs. They are the missions, in brief.)

I’ve felt in the past from watching “story-only” recordings of SC that if you cut out ALL of the gameplay, the story loses a lot of its impact. For example, if you’re doing a holdout mission, and you cut straight from “we must hold out!” to “okay, we survived!” you miss the struggle of… surviving.

But I also don’t want to muddle the story with my commentary and reactions: I love the storyline of Starcraft, and feel like it speaks for itself. So, while you will see bits of my tactics and strategies, any thoughts and comments I have on the storyline or on the mission design or whatever are relegated to the Description of the video. It is a “clean” playthrough.

I’m also doing the Starcraft 1 bits in the Starcraft Mass Recall fan-remake for SC2. I tried out some bits of that project a couple years ago, and was delighted by the dedication and care those folks put into that project. I really love the additional cutscenes, the additional hero unit abilities, and the ability to select more than 12 units at a time.

Anyway, that’s my project! I have the entirety of the Terran campaign uploaded now, and I’m averaging 1-2 new videos a week on this project, though there is no official upload schedule. I’m going to be at this for a while: there are currently 138 Starcraft missions between SC1, SC2 and Covert Ops! I hope y’all will check out the playlist, leave a comment telling me what you think, subscribe to my channel, all that jazz.

Cheers!

4 Likes

No, it’s not. I actually like some of what I saw there.

1 Like

i have to ask, where did you play this? because that’s the SC1/BW missions and dialogue, but the SC2 UI and unit AI. I’d love to play the campaigns through like that. Is it the remastered version or something else?

1 Like

I’m using the Starcraft Mass Recall Fan-Made (and I believe, Blizzard-Approved) Mod. I tried to include a Link, but the forums rejected that post. If you google it, you’ll find it. I also have a link in the Descriptions of my videos.

It’s really amazing. I love what they’ve done with making the Hero units more badass, meticulously reconstructing the campaign. It’s all so good.

By the way, I should mention that I have other thoughts on the missions in the Descriptions of the videos that I make as well. Check that out.

Zerg 1 is live now, and I’m working on editing Zerg 2! :smiley:

1 Like

Hey folks. I wanted to update this to say that Chapter 2, the original Zerg campaign, is now complete at uploaded at the playlist. I’d appreciate y’all checking it out and leaving any feedback either here on on the YouTube channel itself.

On to the Protoss!

1 Like

Thanks! I got it working after some issues, and am loving it. Would recommend to anyone and everyone

(Sorry to necro!!)