My favorite aspect of the campaigns

The fandom wiki. Whenever I need lore trivia, I go there.

The timeline there contradicts you.

Firstly, Khas’ khala didn’t end the aeon overnight. It took him an unspecified length of time to reunite the protoss. The zerg ate the xel’naga and left sometime during or prior to this period. No date is ever given for these events. Even with the nonsense retcons, the only date we have is the sparking of the psionic matrix, which was circa 500 BC.

Secondly, other time statements given contradict this. The Overmind conquered and left Zerus within a few centuries according to the game manual. In Episode 2 the Overmind states that it (and by extension the zerg swarm) lived for “countless millennia.”

Thirdly, this is a retcon and it doesn’t even make sense by its own logic. Khas rediscovered the khala (i.e. the empathy network/power source/afterlife/whatever, not the religion), he didn’t create it. The aeon started after the protoss withdrew from the khala. The xel’naga should logically have awoken while Amon was still on Aiur, or by the Aeon if the “absence” they felt was the absence of the khala. For that matter, why wouldn’t they sense the Overmind? It’s basically a sapient khala itself, powered by their void!

(BTW it makes no sense that the presence of the khala would be an absence, because that’s an oxymoron. What, did the khala drain power from the void? That just raises more questions!)

The wiki states that the aeon was the bloodiest war in galactic history, encompassed many planets, and lasted many millennia.

Your information is outdated. I don’t know what else to tell you.

Ah, let me tell you something instead. As good as the wiki is there is a lot of misinformation here and there. You can’t rely on it completely. Check the source of the wiki itself. See if you think the source really agree with that or not.

The Aeon of Strife practically bust the Protoss into the Stone Age there is no mention of the Protoss being able to leave Aiur anywhere. Not until they come together and rediscovered/reinvent the Khala. There was a Proto-Khala prior to Khas, but it’s different.

Actually, he kind of end it overnight. Although he didn’t end it as soon as he discovered the Khala. Once he was ready, he initiate the Khala protocol and pretty much the war ends. Khas didn’t just rediscovered the Proto-Khala, his new and improved Khala is so connected that the Protoss can no longer wage any kind of war against each other. It’s during this time that the Xel’naga was awoken from their slumber and learn about Amon’s treachery. This is where Amon unleashed the Zerg. It was stated clearly that this happened on Zerus. I don’t care about your wiki; it’s wrong. And if Subsorian is here, I will tell him to correct it.

Obviously, he can’t count more than two. The ability to count is useless for him, anyway. (Seriously, though. This is a retcon or an oversight.)

He rediscovered it and then use some artifact from the Xel’naga to empower it? Anyway, the Proto-Khala wasn’t enough to end the war. That’s why Khas overcharge it or something and create the Khala as we know.[quote=“TrickyHunter-16713, post:308, topic:3196”]
Your information is outdated
[/quote]

I almost miss this. So, you think a newer information take precedence over old one? Then why do you keep complaining about retcon and stick to the original lore unmoved?

The wiki has people way more knowledgeable than us editing it. Anytime I see someone claim this it’s because they’re the ones mistaken.

Plus, if you’re going to claim the wiki is wrong it’d be cool if you actually provided evidence instead of reminding us that it’s a public project that can have mistakes (which is obvious).

For example:

There was a map of the week about warp gates on different planets. Plus the manual implies they were making insights into advanced technologies. Plus the aeon of strife supposedly devastated land masses which is hard to believe without the aid of technology.

Needs citation. All Khas did was rediscover what always existed.

No he didn’t. Read the dark Templar saga.

Maybe. But that’s basically a retcon. It’s not the wiki’s fault the lore is inconsistent.

Eh, nope, the proto Khala was lost. That’s part of why the war started in the first place.

I do.

What you need to understand is that Blizzard is infamous for their lack of continuity. The same writers routinely forget what they wrote and don’t bother to check their own work. New writers come in with their own ideas for handling stories. It’s a mess.

It says so on the battlenet website. Lookup the planet Gyras. It was inhabited during the Aeon and Khas personally visited to bring the khala and end the fighting.

This is never stated anywhere in the lore. We have no reason to believe the effect wasn’t identical. In fact, some Blizzard writers seem to be under the impression that there never was a pre-Aeon khala.

Subsorian is the one in charge of editing. He would know if the facts were “wrong.“ I wouldn’t trust him in your position, tho. He’s made it clear that he just doesn’t care if Blizzard is bad at continuity.

You need to understand that the lore isn’t consistent and is subject to random change without notice at any time. Blizzard doesn’t care what you think is right.

The lore is chock full retcon and oversight. Blizzard doesn’t care and will keep adding more so long as they keep making starcraft stuff.

This is completely wrong. Read the Dark Templar trilogy. It explains the events from Khas’ POV.

The Khala was sundered by the tribes in the first age. This caused the protoss to go a bit crazy, probably because they essentially lobotomized themselves because they’d evolved with the khala for millions of years, so they started the Aeon after the xel’naga ran away and they had no one else to kill. Khas reactivated the khala, which stopped the insanity in those protoss who submitted. Keyword here being that they submitted, since they could opt-out. That’s how the rogues tribes lived.

I’m just informing you what is currently canon, or at least what we assume is canon because Blizzard has no idea themselves. That doesn’t mean I like the canon.

Yeah. Thanks for the assist btw.

The only errors I ever saw were omissions due to not everyone going over every obscure bit of lore with a fine-toothed comb. These omissions are often contradictions too.

The overwhelming majority of the articles are obscure concepts that appeared in one obscure map or story whenever the writer needed it and was never referenced again.

Pretty much the single most useful source I ever found on lore was the unofficial Starcraft tabletop RPG by Leovaunt. By virtue of the format he pretty much had to devise a consistent background and technical explanation for everything. This doesn’t make the backstory any less nonsensical, but it is helpful if you’re trying to gage technical aspects like how psychic powers work, the capabilities of starships, etc.

1 Like

Yeah, I have really lot of faith into Subsourian to be honest.

1 Like

I can’t recall exactly when, but TrickyHunter once claim that he edit some part of the wiki. So…

Maybe my world is small, but where are those people hanging out? Is there any other place where people discuss about the story?

I don’t know about that map. Is it a story driven or multiplayer one? Regardless, how exactly is this map implied that the Aeon of Strife is a galactic war? I don’t think a war where some people utilize pre-build warp gate (which construct by other species) to simply expand the battle ground count. I mean, yeah, you’re technically correct, but at least throw in some spaceship before call it galactic war, please?

Beside, we have some portrait of the Aeon of Strife, we see a Protoss punches another Protoss. I am not sure where it is. I can try to dig it up if you need it.

Also, we are already capable of devastated land masses, but we can’t colonize moon or Mars, yet.

For one thing, it was implied in the book that Khas discover something first and then he used some artifact to amplify it planet wide. It’s also stated that you can’t harm other Khalai because of the Khala. Its even stated clearly by Rohana that the Khala is thing that not only bind the Khalai together, but also prevent them from go to war; it would be weird if they once have something exactly identical and yet go into the Aeon of Strife afterward.

I did. How exactly is it contradicting what I type here? He already rediscovered the ancient primal link, but decide it’s not suffice to end the war his people is too turmoil. He then gather his follower and do some kind of ritual. Had my memory flaw, then tell me how it goes correctly.

Not maybe. Rohana blatantly state as such. You need a video link to that particular cutscenes?

Of course, it’s not the wiki fault, but it’s wrong regardless. Am I incorrect in saying that the wiki is inaccurate here? The information is either outdated or overlook; doesn’t matter which it’s wrong. I have no doubt Subsourian and his cohorts are doing their best, but it’s impossible to keep thing perfectly correct. This is no one fault, it’s just is.

That’s not what I meant. Even if Khas brought back that Proto-Khala as it once was, it wouldn’t be enough. The Protoss used to have it before it was lost and yet they fall into this war. If Khas plan was to bring exactly the same thing and hope it would work, that’s pretty stupid. That’s why I interpret the story as it being different more tightly bound link. It was so strong that everyone can’t continue waging war.

So do I. He’d proven himself to be competent and intellectual. He is not infallible, though. His collective must contains some problem, it’s inevitable from a project this size.

It’s too bad he’s wasting his efforts on a Blizzard IP, tho.

He’d be far better off helping the Warhammer wikis pull their crap together.

I always cite any new information I add to articles if it isn’t already cited. I’m not lazy.

Not very many, no. Subsourian’s discord is the single biggest venue for Starcraft lore now.

Blame Blizzard for writing lore trivia with huge ramifications but never expanding on it.

The Aeon happened because they severed the link. It says so in the manual.

The wiki states that the khala has multiple levels of engagement, which can potentially rationalize many of the inconsistencies. These levels seemingly range from the simplest communication to somehow deriving nourishment, disciplined control over psionic storms, and power for non-living machines. Blizzard isn’t consistent on how it works or even what it is.

Considering Blizzard’s flagrant disregard for continuity, I don’t think the concept of “right” and “wrong” applies here in any meaningful sense. They’ll keep making retcons to the retcons of the retcons for as long as they exist.

See what I said above. The protoss sundered the first khala deliberately. Khas reactivated it. It has multiple levels with different effects.

Also, the statement about it preventing war is complete nonsense. If that was true, then Aldaris’ rebellion in BW wouldn’t have been able to fight Artanis’ force and vice versa. Tassadar’s fleet shouldn’t have been able to rebel against the Conclave and vice versa! At least, not without invoking a flimsy excuse like “they suppressed their own khala so they could fight to protect their own khala, like some deranged hypocrites who asking to restart the aeon.” I already said elsewhere how I felt about BW’s bad writing.

His problem is that he refuses to accept Starcraft is mostly bad writing and holds out hope that Blizzard will produce something good. He refuses to tolerate any opinion that doesn’t treat Starcraft like an infallible religious text that is perfect and the source of all good.

He actually said one time that even if SC3 was the worst drek in the universe he won’t lose hope in Blizzard.

I can’t help but despise him.

Let’s leave the choice to Sub.

1 Like

Anyone can make a change but that doesn’t mean the change gets to stay. Subsourian probably sees everything that gets posted and can veto/undo something.

It’s multiplayer with lore text. Point is, it’s on planets that aren’t Aiur. The map wasn’t on Aiur.

Doesn’t invalidate literally everything I just told you. The stone age protoss is a DT saga retcon.

Well the manual says it was a slow process:
“Slowly, many Protoss
gave up their ages-old feuds and rallied behind
the ever-growing legions of the Khalai.”

Think about it. Unifying a whole planet isn’t going to be instant.

The protoss civil war disproves that.

He literally said “We are not creating anything new. We are discovering something ancient.”

The difference was that he created a bunch of rules for navigating the Khala and made a religious doctrine out of it so that the protoss would place importance on not losing it, which is what led to the aeon of strife.

I’m good. I’m saying the lore is inconsistent. They compressed the crap out of that timeline. The manual and game say the Overmind existed for “several” millenia, which almost always means more than two. Two and a half is not really “several” and it’s also not “countless” like the Overmind says in the game.

It’s impossible to keep correct because the lore is inconsistent, not because Subsourian doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

I like the SC1 lore better so I think he can keep that page the way it is. :man_shrugging:

Yep. That’s generally how wikis work. The Starcraft wiki has rules stating that all information must be sourced.

It’s a weird one because the wiki explains that those stone age protoss killed a bunch of xel’naga and waged a galactic war. It wasn’t until the Ihan-rii showed up with their stone-based tech that this was explained.

Also, the ihan-rii are clear evidence that the first age protoss were a galactic empire because they ruled koprulu prior to and during the aeon.

Nor is unifying however many planets had protoss on them. Judging by the tal’darim and ihan-rii, Khas missed a lot.

It’s pretty much guaranteed by now that Blizz is going to insert new protoss tribes willy-nilly. The khalai and nerazim being confederations of tribes is seemingly forgotten outside the obscure licensed fiction nobody at Blizz reads.

You have to give Christie Golden credit. She seems to genuinely care about lore.

At least if you ignore weird stuff like Kerry infesting a random guy with brain damage into her boyfriend. He’s a literal space cowboy who rides mutalisks like ponies.

And In LotV, they literally say the dark templar were isolated for “generations,” or basically long enough to develop a completely different culture and military.

Yep. It’s inconsistent now and will get worse over time because Blizz doesn’t seem to keep track of their own lore.

I’m jealous of Subsourian’s ability to somehow think this is a positive.

I imagine Christie Golden would probably not have written the khala being destroyed. She literally stated the protoss go insane without it, and I don’t remember her explaining how the dark templar avoid that. The taldarim certainly seem plenty unstable.

The wiki is a fantastic source of information, absolutely. It a great repository for information from all walks of StarCraft.

Having said that, some of the things that come from more obscure sources, like details on armour from bullet points taken from the box of a licensed toy, I’d take those with several grains of salt.

For Maps of the Week, skins, and flavour text from other such little things, I take those with grains of salt as well since it’s just flavour text.

The actual game Story Modes, as well as supporting material (like the manual) are the main sources of canon as far as I’m concerned. Novels and comics and such are as well unless they contradict the games, since that’s the main medium of the franchise.

That’s how I go about things at any rate.

You only need “tiers of canonicity“ for franchises that care about continuity, like Marvel Cinematic Universe. Not Blizzard that don’t care one whit about continuity.

Can you please, please at least make an effort to comport yourself like an adult instead of a child upset that his favorite flavor of ice cream was sold out at the store? Please?

1 Like

Foxtrot Umbrella Charlie Kilo whole Disney continuity.

They didn’t care much about SW continuity as we could see and no one needs to care about MCU continuity if nothing changes. They needed so many movies to actually kill someone for good that you don’t even remember their origin.

MCU grows, but it doesn’t change. It’s just a blob of uniformal matter.

Also, how the hell were people sad about Spiderman’s death in Infinity War?
They knew he’d get ressed.

1 Like

Doctor Strange 2 director : “Movie’s gonna be an horror flick”
Kevin Feige : “Well yes but actually no”
Scott Derrickson has left the chat

Their absolute lack of balls is nigh astonishing.

It’s even more astonishing in the post-Endgame Era : no more crossover planned, they can do whatever they want, their name is popular enough to sell your movies by itself. But no, they have to keep that sweet PG rating.
(Also, Disney screwing over New Mutants,
Fuk the Mouse)

1 Like

I mean they finally realised that Black Widow movie is a good idea.

Is it? I thought it is a bit late because y’know… we know she gon’be dead. It is so less interesting if you know the end.

You know the end at 85% MCU movies