Mutations for maximal annoyance

Darkness on dead of night makes finding all the structures a headache.

Imminent Domain on dead of night makes defending really hard if you dont have Karax tier static-D, since everything else is bound to die and get turned against you.

Diffusion on dead of night makes Stank a FF nightmare.

Guess which map I’ve been playing? LOL

Okay, check this out. So the laser drill only fires at you when enemy units are within a certain range of your units, right? Guess what mineral shields count as, apparently. Units! So I basically had the laser destroying my probes at the very start of the game when the minerals got blocked. Top notch stuff, Blizzard. Keep up the great work!

1 Like

How about Fatal Attraction on Dead of Night? Say goodbye to your units. They’re going on a never-ending adventure!

Lol @ neverending adventure. Incidentally, this is further proof that #1 on DoN is Swann. Bettie and Co laugh at fatal attraction.

Found another annoying combo today. Drill laser with fear. Boy, do I love seeing my units being lasered to death while getting fear-locked, unable to kill the enemies that are giving it vision. Makes hero commanders especially fun!

You do realize that they have done that in a previous weekly mutation where they had Fear and Laser Drill together, right? (Robotic Revival, with Fear, Laser Drill, and Just Die on Part and Parcel)

For the record, although the mutation was Brutal+4, the mutation poll for that week rated it as “average difficulty”, mainly because the drill is notoriously easy to neutralize on Part and Parcel.

I wasn’t aware mutation selections were absolved from the classification as “annoying combos.” I also wasn’t aware annoying meant unwinnable.

1 Like

Here’s another fun combo. Blizzards+concussion. It’s basically a full-on root if a unit is hit with both.

Maybe not so much annoying, but spirals out of hand quickly. Life Leech, Long Range, Avenger, Evasive Maneuvers. You ever had teleporting siege tanks that have as much health as a command center? The worst nightmare.

The most annoying mutator for me is shortsighted, right up there with fatal attraction. There are many combinations with those that make them even worse.

E.g. shortsighted + missile command. Not only annoying as hell, but also near impossible to overcome with most commanders.

Even combining shortsighted or fatal attraction with a trivial mutator like laser drill makes the game stupid beyond imagination.

Shortsighted + any one of: evasive maneuvers, concussive attacks, mag-nificient, long range, speed freaks, void ranimators.

Fatal attraction + any mutator that deals AoE damage or any mutator that creates additional units (like walking infested, just die, alien incubation, void ranimators …)

In my opinion those two mutators require an overhaul. Like significantly reducing the range of fatal attraction. I can’t really imagine anyone enjoying to play with those mutators as they are now…

Omg short sighted and missile command sounds awful. Missile command is awful already, but adding short sighted is cruel and unusual.

Missile command is pretty fun mutator - more things to blow up is always cool for me.

Missile command is not that big of a deal. Several commanders can counter it. The shortsighted is a bigger problem, though.

Why is it fun? For the commanders with a counter, it’s “build a bunch of turrets in the first 5 min, then entirely ignore the mutator and try to finish the mission ASAP.” For the commanders without a counter, it’s GG.

I’m not ignoring mutator, i’m enjoing how my static defense is blowing up these rockets and yes it encourage to use defensive strategies more. Set up counter and enjoy fruits is rts, suffer from uncounterable invincible enemies is horror. I’m more in an rts gameplay. It’s a matter of taste ofc.

That’s the essence of too many mutators, they aren’t fun or even clever. It doesn’t add a real layer of gameplay. This is why you’ll always find games fall quickly flat or completely get beaten like any brutal game.

The lack of adjustment is truly lazy. Even take missile command as an example, it is firstly very laggy the longer you go into the game, where several coop maps by design interacts poorly. This can be made much better if they changed it so that there are specific types of missiles that must be dealt differently, such as 1) normal as the ones we see often 2) the nuke 3) army targetting 4) unit-locking, etc. And they don’t have to be “always rain down” on the players. They can rotate through these.

I’m sure initially when they designed it, the sentiment must have been “yeah! woo! missiles galore, coooool!”. Except that this gets old fast. As it stands currently, it is just more missiles faster with more point defense drones and more nukes. Instead, it can entirely add in a few extra lines of code to change the direction of missile incoming (as an example), the target destination (as suggested to lock on specific units/structures/location), and/or even add “player-helping missiles” that the enemy will shoot down.

It’s not a difficult concept, yet even something as simple as 1 mutator can be as poorly done as they are now.

Honestly this is the stuff that makes even people looking for a challenge find mutations unfun and stupid. You know what’s fun, having more skillcap and ways to learn how to win faster. What’s not more fun? Your enemy workers dying instantly to your own mineral line. Or your rock expansion nuking or double edged making your commanders one shot themselves on zerglings.

Double Edge is probably the dumbest mutator of all. Absolute dumbest. I don’t even understand what the work around is supposed to be.

2 Likes

Disposable, hard-hitting units, I guess? Lots of healing, with Raynor medics or Abathur regeneration? I know Kerrigan’s nydus has rapid regeneration, so you could mass hydras and hide in them as soon as a fight is over. Still not fun though, obviously.

EDIT: I’m thinking of Diffusion. I forget Double Edged heals you overtime. Still, even if it’s doable, having to hamstring powerful units pretty much destroys their effectiveness. Fuuun. Added difficulty should make you play harder, not intentionally pull your punches and make a game last twice as long.

1 Like

“Heals.” Problem is, for the healing to do anything, the units have to be able to leave combat. Meaning 1) they have to be faster than the opposing force, and 2) they need room and time to disengage every few seconds. On defensive maps that’s obviously impossible, as well as defending against regular attack waves that reach base.