Moving starcraft instalation?

I have Starcraft 2 installed on drive c and no space, is a easy way to move it to other drive or need to uninstall?

Uninstalling and reinstalling it is going to be the safest and cleanest way to do so. Theoretically you could move the game folder manually and tell the battle.net app to look for the game there, but when you do that you open yourself to all kinds of nonsense where the game might want to look for files in the now-wrong location. If you just uninstall it and reinstall it in the desired location, the game will know exactly where to look for everything and you shouldnt run into any crazy problems.

A symbolic link could in theory allow you to move safely the folder and have the link pointing to the new location, but I’m not tech savy enough to know if it would solve everything without risks.

I had this exact same issue. I did something along the lines of right clicking the main folder (Documents in my case) that contained the SC2 files. I changed its location by right clicking it and selecting properties. Hope this helps.

This should be in the technical forums.

========================================================================

What happens is that when you install a game, the game doesn’t just install into that specific location. It also creates various folders and files in system folders that enables the game to work properly. If you just drag and drop your SC2 main folder, one of these 2 may happen:

• The game will recreate all the missing folders / files that are necessary, and you will just have duplicates (one set of functioning ones; another set of redundant ones).
  • The game will result in some error due to missing file links (might happen while playing).

In the end, it really is up to you which you’d prefer / risk and how OCD you are regarding the ‘cleanliness’ of your storage. But if you do plan to reinstall, remember to backup your data banks or else you will lose your custom game progresses.

Doesn’t affect anything (no risks involved). But it also won’t resolve his issue of lack of storage space.

Why? If he move it to another drive, and all files creations/changes are redirected toward the new location through the link, then the space is indeed freed?
I’m not talking about a conventional shortcut like in the start menu, but a hard link.

1 Like