[Mod] SC Realistic Scale

Mod name: SC Real Scale
Author: JaredStarr
State: Full Release (As of February 12, 2023)
Players: 2+

[Mod] SC Real Scale: (NA Server)

I am returning yet again to announce that I am finally taking this mod out of it’s Alpha state!!
Super exciting news for me and the handful of people still enjoying this Mod.

I know the Real Scale mod is out there in many ways, I do still feel this mod keeps the game in a very competitive state by not adding every ability/unit out there. Minor balance changes will still continue to be applied to make sure this game is fun with friends or just against AI.

I have decided to go against adding a Massive/Capitol Ship style unit to Zerg. I will continue to focus on having Zerg strategies feel like a swarm. Instead I am going to look at how to increase ways to build/spawn units for Zerg.

Still going to look at switching Thor production as a buildable structure. Still not sure if I will add Field Medics.

Feel free to leave balance suggestions. <3

Changelog: (Since full release)

Adjusted Tastelope/Artosilope scale and movement.
Massive units have unique Minimap icons.
Fixed/adjusted upgrade times on all races.
Tiny units can no longer squeeze through buildings.

Terran:
Added ‘Calldown: Marine’ to Battlecruiser.
Adjusted size of the Selection Radius for Marine/Hellbat/SCV.
Increased all Nuke damage radius’ by 2.
Increased Nuke build time by 5 seconds.
Adjust Nuke calldown time and impact time.
Increased Nuke calldown radius by 1.
Fixed Viking health.
Increased Battlecruiser’s ‘Calldown: Marine’ ability cooldown by 3
Changed costs of Cyclone.
Significantly increased health of Liberator.

Zerg:
Reduced health of Locust to 40.
Reduced damage dealt by Locust to 5.
Reduced cost of Curruptor to 100/50.
Reduced cost of Brood Lord to 150/100.
Reduced range on Queen’s Transfusion from 7 to 2.5
Reduced cost of Swarm Host to 150/50.
Increased cost of Nydus Network to 250/100.
Increased build time for Nydus Canal to 45.
Increased Baneling movement by 0.05
Reduced build time for Roach/Mutalisk by 2.
Reduced build time for Ultralisk/Swarm Host by 5.
Slightly increased Queen art scale.
Gave Swarm Host ablity to Auto-cast Locust.
Added Rally to Swarm Host.

Protoss:
Increased Tempest ground weapon range to 27 (air to air remains 25).
Reduced Tempest’s interactable radius by 0.5
Changed cost of Tempest to 300/100.
Increased Interceptor range by 0.25
Reduced Carrier minimap icon scale by 0.1
Fixed Adept/Zealot death animation size.
Changed Tempest weapon to Splash for both air and ground.
Reduced Tempest build time by 5.
Reduced Void Ray radius by 0.5
Fixed Warp Prism health bar size.
Increased shield regeneration rate on all Protoss units by 1. (Excluding Massives)
Significantly reduced Disruptor’s ‘Purification Nova’ cooldown.
Adjusted art scale/selection radius for Purification Nova.
Increased build time for Probe by 1.
Mothership now visible through fog.
Increased Carrier hanger size by 3.
Decreased Interceptor build time by 1.
Adept’s Shade now collide with Force Fields.

More to come!

Hello ladies and gentlemen,
I bring you, the best, most flushed out version of StarCraft 2 in real scale. I’ve been working on this Mod for years grinding thousands on playtest first against computer players, then friends, then brought it to the Arcade when I felt it was pretty well balanced. This Mod is no longer in an Alpha state and I intent to continue to care for this project!

Significant Changes (FAQ):

Are costs/damage/build times the same?
No. Virtually everything is different in some way.

Are resource collection rates different?
Yes! Resource collection amounts are changed. This has been carefully developed to bridge the gap between the costs of extremely cheap tier 1 units and expensive tier 3 units. Ideally you want to have close to 5 harvesting bases in a late game with 100+ harvesters.

Vespene Geysers handle 4 workers now, again to bridge the gap.

Is the supply limit increased?
It sure is. You now cap at 400 supply.

How long does a match last?
Cheesy matches can end as quick as a 3-5 minutes. Longer matches go 20+ minutes.

What can I expect when I jump into a match?
Things will snowball pretty quickly, try to stay on top of the most important tasks. Early strategies are a little more open since you’ll notice a little more resources are left in a account.

As the game carries on it will begin to require lots of APM output. You won’t be able to keep up with everything and you will begin to have to choose where your attention is more important. This is what creates a large dynamic in the mod and finding where your opponent is lacking is where you can find a victory. Strategies vary from ball of death play (lower level players) to Broodwar-esque matches where multiple battles are sprawling (very skilled players).

How big is a Battlecruiser/Carrier?
M a s s i v e. Some of these large units feel like mobile bases. You may have the left wing of your Battlecruise defended, leaving the right wing open to an attack.

(don’t wall off! Some ground units need 2+ tiles to move around and on top of that - some smaller units can squeeze through the wall. This mod isn’t made to be played like that.)

Why can’t I see my Battlecruiser/Carrier?
Use the zoom function to zoom out and see the more massive fliers. That being said, zoom in to manage some of the small battles below.

Why are the buildings the same size?
This was never part of the plan when making the Mod. I’m not against this idea - I do think this might interfere with the gameplay too much though. As it is, I like the sizing of the buildings as is. Nexus, Lair and Hive have been very slightly increased, only for visual appeal.

Are there any strategies or builds?
Yes there are. They feel like a blend between SC1 and SC2 builds.

It’s important to keep expanding and keep up with your Tech.

How do I play the Mod?
Pick any melee map on the NA Server and create it with the mod SC Real Scale. The author should be JaredStarr.

Tips!
Regardless of race, it is important to start Teching early and don’t fall behind. Attacking seems very daunting with the pace units move at, so you need to plan your attacks accordingly. Scouting out a weak spot in your opponents play with 1 or 2 units can easily be what wins a match for you.

This mod rewards where you put your attention, and that includes small battles. Many unit abilities have reduced cooldowns, or more damage to give them an awesome advantage when you Micro. This allows you to deal large damage with a small strike force. Sometimes you may feel stuck defending, or you can’t break your opponents defense and it’s in these situations this kind of strategy can save you. Be weary when doing this though as it can obviously suck up all your APM and you will fall behind in Macro.

Much of the mod is designed to still feel like Starcraft 2. I haven’t added any extra units outside of the melee ladder so there’s no unusual counters that’s going to show up in a match, aside from the units themselves being ridiculous in size. It’s made to be very easy to pick it up and play, but takes time to master.

Below you can check out some race specific information.

Terran:

General Changes/Tips:
- Biological units regenerate health! It may be a snails pace but you’ll still love it.
*Note the difference between Hellions and Hellbats when it comes to health regeneration.
- Supply depots get a nice armor buff when lowered.
- Barracks units can now be set to Auto-cast.
- Give Battlecruiser ability to call down Marines below itself.
- Battlecruiser has unique icon on Minimap

Protoss:

General Changes/Tips:
- Ground units can walk under pylons!
- Gateway units can now be set on Auto-cast
- A fully charged Warpgate can have 2 warps on standby (some units take both charges to warp in).
*Warpgate tech is no longer on auto-cast and costs 25 Vespene to transform.

Zerg:

General Changes/Tips:
- Units now get 5 armor and their health regeneration is slightly increased only when burrowed.
- Units are weak but quick.
- Hatcheries are fairly weak compared to other town centers. Lairs are stronger and Hives are comparable to other races.

Final words;
If you’ve made it this far, thanks for reading! Hopefully you’re on your way to trying out the mod soon. I try my best to host the mod as regularly as possible but I have sometimes gone weeks without logging in. I update the mod and do balance testing as often as I can, if you notice anything game breaking feel free to make a post about it and I will gladly look into it. I’ve been developing this for over 5 years (off and on because I do it solo as a hobby) at this point and don’t plan on stopping. If you enjoy the mod show some support and give it a rating!

You can find the mod by searching “Real Scale” author is JaredStarr

3 Likes

Hey man I love this mod it is amazing and I think how the game should have been made! Recently I can’t place a star gate on any of the maps it is an error. Any idea what’s happening?

2 Likes

me too, I have this glitch.
I can’t make Protoss Airships.

Thanks so much for the feedback, glad you like it as much as I do!

Are you still having this problem? If so, are you using any skin packs?

Do you have to download something to see this mod show up? i am typing SC2 Real Scale in the arcade search and nothing is coming up.

Search up ‘Real Scale’ without the SC2, you should be able to find mine with those ones.

I am returning yet again to announce that I am finally taking this mod out of it’s Alpha state!!
Super exciting news for me and the handful of people still enjoying this Mod.

I know the Real Scale mod is out there in many ways, I do still feel this mod keeps the game in a very competitive state by not adding every ability/unit out there. Minor balance changes will still continue to be applied to make sure this game is fun with friends or just against AI.

Patch Changes:

• Added Calldown: Marine to the Battlecruiser
  • Reduced Locust cooldown on Swarm Hosts
  • Added unique minimap icons for massive flyers

I have decided to go against adding a Massive/Capitol Ship style unit to Zerg. I will continue to focus on having Zerg strategies feel like a swarm. Instead I am going to look at how to increase ways to build/spawn units for Zerg.

Still going to look at switching Thor production as a buildable structure. Still not sure if I will add Field Medics.

Feel free to leave balance suggestions. <3

I’m going to be hosting a Real Scale tournament.

6-8 weeks.
Cash prize for 1st, 2nd, 3rd.
Any patches until the tournament will be included.

If interested let me know.

More details will be sorted out if there is enough interest.

I’m not using any skin packs I’ve tried 4 different maps custom and blizzard alike but battlecruisers seem to work

Ahh nvm I had someone else’s bugged real scale mod I just got yours it works fine!

1 Like

Glad to announce that Swarm Hosts now have the ability to Rally/Auto-cast Locusts. Used in conjunction with each other you can now ‘set and forget’ Swarm Hosts (to a certain degree) and continue to wear you opponent down.

Future updates will continue to flesh out Zerg as a race you can constantly onslaught your opponent with hordes of units while still feeling effective.

Open to suggestions on new abilities, bugs or balance issues.

Hope there’s still some of you out there enjoying this mod. Cheers!