[Mod] SC Realistic Scale

Mod name: SC Real Scale
Author: JaredStarr
State: Alpha
Players: 2+

[Mod] SC2 Real Scale: (NA Server)

Hello ladies and gentlemen,
I bring you, the best, most flushed out version of StarCraft 2 in real scale. I’ve been working on this Mod for years grinding thousands on playtest first against computer players, then friends, then brought it to the Arcade when I felt it was pretty well balanced. This Mod is still in an Alpha state as there are still some features that are going to be added to it in the future (listed below), however very playable and you’ll find yourself wanting a rematch in the end!

Significant Changes (FAQ):

Are costs/damage/build times the same?
No. Virtually everything is different in some way, and if it is currently the same it will likely be changed through balancing in the future.

Are resource collection rates different?
Yes! Resource collection amounts are changed. This has been carefully developed to bridge the gap between the costs of extremely cheap tier 1 units and expensive tier 3 units. Ideally you want to have close to 5 harvesting bases in a late game with 100+ harvesters. (Mineral patches have less minerals and mine out faster forcing players to expand faster.)

Is the supply limit increased?
It sure is. You now cap at 400 supply.

How long does a match last?
Short matches can end as quick as a few minutes. Longer matches go a little over 20 minutes.

What can I expect when I jump into a match?
Things will snowball pretty quickly, try to stay on top of the most important tasks. Bases mine out in about 9 minutes now. As the game carries on it will begin to require lots of APM output. You won’t be able to keep up with everything and you will begin to have to choose where your attention is more important. This is what creates a large dynamic in the mod and finding where your opponent is lacking is where you can find a victory. Strategies vary from ball of death play (lower level players) to Broodwar-esque matches where multiple battles are sprawling (very skilled players).

How big is a Battlecruiser/Carrier?
M a s s i v e.
But on a serious note, don’t wall off! Some ground units need 2+ tiles to move around and on top of that - some smaller units can squeeze through the wall. This mod isn’t made to be played like that.

Why can’t I see my Battlecruiser/Carrier?
Use the zoom function to zoom out and see the more massive fliers. That being said, zoom in to manage some of the small battles below.

Why are the buildings the same size?
This was never part of the plan when making the Mod. I’m not against this idea - I do think this might interfere with the gameplay too much though.

Are there any strategies or builds?
Yes there are. They feel like a blend between SC1 and SC2 builds. It’s important to keep expanding while keeping an eye on your opponent. Getting caught off guard can be pretty devastating, although the Mod can be very forgiving.

How do I play the Mod?
Pick any melee map on the NA Server and create it with the mod SC Real Scale. The author should be JaredStarr.

Tips!
Regardless of race, it is important to get expanding early and don’t fall behind in tech. Attacking seems very daunting with the pace units move at, so you need to plan your attacks accordingly. Scouting out a weak spot in your opponents play can easily be what wins a match for you.

This mod rewards where you put your attention, and that includes small battles. Many unit abilities have reduced cooldowns, or more damage to give them an awesome advantage when you Micro. This allows you to deal large damage with a small strike force. Sometimes you may feel stuck defending, or you can’t break your opponents defense and it’s in these situations this kind of strategy can save you. Be weary when doing this though as it can obviously suck up all your APM and you will fall behind in Macro.

Much of the mod is designed to still feel like Starcraft 2. I haven’t added any extra units outside of the melee ladder so there’s no unusual counters that’s going to show up in a match, aside from the units themselves being ridiculous in size. It’s made to be very easy to pick it up and play, but takes time to master.

Below you can check out some race specific information.

Terran:

General Changes/Tips:

• Biological units regenerate health! It may be a snails pace but you’ll still love it.
    *Note the difference between Hellions and Hellbats when it comes to health regeneration.

• Supply depots get a nice armor buff when lowered.

• Barracks units can now be set to Auto-cast.
    Future Changes:

• Give Battlecruiser ability to call down small group of Marines in a small radius below itself [~40s cooldown]

• Give Battlecruiser unique icon on Minimap

• Give Planetary Fortress ability to call down Marines to any location with vision.

• Give MULES ability to build Bunkers.

• Add Field Medic (?) [Tech Lab Required]

• Make Thor’s a buildable 2x2 structure. Remove from Factory queue. [Same Build Requirements]

Strategy:

• Reapers/Hellions are good for early game harass, but don’t let them get cornered.
  • Crawling towards your opponent with various defensive and high range units can help you win.
  • Use your Orbital Commands to their full potential. Scanner Sweeps help maintain map control and MULEs can be useful close to the frontlines.
  • Try to Outrange your opponent.

Protoss:

General Changes/Tips:

• Ground units can walk under pylons!
  • Gateway units can now be set on Auto-cast
  • A fully charged Warpgate can have 2 warps on standby (some units take both charges to warp in).
    *Warpgate tech is no longer on auto-cast and costs 25 Vespene to transform.

Future Changes:

• Make Void Ray attack drag from target to target.
  • Give Carrier, Tempest and Mothership unique Minimap icons.
  • Give Mothership an Energy Field.
  • Increase some airship costs.

Strategy:

• Keeping a handful of observers around the map helps maintain map control.
  • Your forces are not as mobile as other races, don’t forget about recall when things get hairy.
  • Be smart about the units you build, you’re going to max out your supply with less.

Zerg:

General Changes/Tips:

• Units now get 5 armor and their health regeneration is slightly increased only when burrowed.

• Units are weak but quick.

• Hatcheries are fairly weak compared to other town centers. Lairs are stronger and Hives are comparable to other races.
    Future Changes:

• Add Capital Ship style unit. (?)

• Give Swarm Host ability to move while Burrowed [Hive Tech]
    *Upgradable at Infestation Pit

Strategy:

• Expanding fast while keeping your opponent busy with harass will keep you alive.
  • Zerg is weak, but with proper Macro can be powerful.
  • Upgrades are very important. Getting out of low tech units quick helps as well.
  • Spread your opponent thin using both your armies mobility and how inexpensive they are to produce.

Final words;
If you’ve made it this far, thanks for reading! Hopefully you’re on your way to trying out the mod soon. I try my best to host the mod as regularly as possible but I have sometimes gone weeks without logging in. I update the mod and do balance testing as often as I can, if you notice anything game breaking feel free to make a post about it and I will gladly look into it. I’ve been developing this for over 5 years (off and on because I do it solo as a hobby) at this point and don’t plan on stopping. If you enjoy the mod show some support and give it a rating!

You can find the mod by searching “Real Scale” author is JaredStarr

3 Likes

Hey man I love this mod it is amazing and I think how the game should have been made! Recently I can’t place a star gate on any of the maps it is an error. Any idea what’s happening?

2 Likes

me too, I have this glitch.
I can’t make Protoss Airships.

Thanks so much for the feedback, glad you like it as much as I do!

Are you still having this problem? If so, are you using any skin packs?

Do you have to download something to see this mod show up? i am typing SC2 Real Scale in the arcade search and nothing is coming up.

Search up ‘Real Scale’ without the SC2, you should be able to find mine with those ones.