Mech are INSANE

Your opponents openers was so awful that you could have auto-won the game within the first 5 minutes. Why even let him take his natural if he has not a bunker up really early to try to secure it?

This was basically a blind guy fighting a blind guy.

What your opponent was doing was either a gold level strategy or complete trolling. Against a half decent player his strategy would have been an auto-loss much sooner.

Protoss are insanely favored vs mech. Mech is awful vs Protoss and only work if the Protoss player does not know how to play against mech, or if the mech player is much better than the Protoss player.

If both players are competent and of similar skill level going mech against Protoss is an auto-loss.

Disruptors plus some backup or just Carrier/Immortal roll over all mech. If he tries to get BC you just kite with Tempest.

Or you just do a timing attack when he tries to take his 3rd and collect a free win.

The only way to lose as Protoss vs mech is if you avoid attacking for 20 minutes.

Lol. Why even bother? This kid has literally ignored 100% of evidence put in front of him.

topic about tvp mech
TCF given numerous examples of mech stomping GOAT Protoss players
TCF starts talking about how good bio is against protoss :rofl:

At that level tou can beat mech with mass chargelots,blinkstalkers and a warprism.

check game 1, it’s a basic strat that can work.

2 Likes

Going off the replay at 9:06 you had:

2 Colossi, 2 Immortals, 20 Blink Stalkers, a sentry, an adept and 64 probes.

He had: 1 marine, 1 tank, 2 Battlecruisers and 43 SCVs

The game should have been over at that point or even before. It sounds like you need to work on your scouting to be honest, because I really don’t understand how you “couldn’t attack” into that. You should be sending in a probe, a zealot or ideally a hallucination (obs wouldn’t be great considering he’s a role player and has 4 missile turrets by the 6:30 mark, but even then flying it in, losing it to a missile turret and seeing that he only has 1 tank at home, would be 25/75 well spent).

I don’t want to be that guy, but this game was just a massive throw. In fact since you even managed to snipe one of the BCs he had the exact same units at minute 8 that he had at minute 9, that’s just the nature of trying to go 2 Starport BC on 2 bases, you don’t have money for anything else, and he even cut SCVs (which I suspect is just him being bad, rather than a deliberate choice).

If you scout 2 Starport BC, you know with very high certainty that he isn’t going to have many other units, especially with no third. BC’s are extremely expensive and he was only on 2 base. This is all information that you had (I’m watching from you’re perspective). So if you scout this build, and especially if you snipe a BC as you did, you are so far ahead that you should seriously consider checking what he’s actually got, and in the words of day[9] - “just go and kill him”. You could have even left like 15 stalkers at home to deal with the BCs, all he has is 1 tank.

So based on that game, my advice is, keep and eye out for 2 Starport BC, if they are going that build, keep and eye on their third and recognise that they ain’t making much other than BCs, so you don’t have to worry about tanks, because they can’t afford them on 4 gas, and in general just scout more. I really cannot emphasise enough that poor scouting was the reason you lost this game, because in every other respect, you are massively ahead from what I’m watching. It’s easy to say with hindsight and whilst watching a replay of course, but that’s just the nature of learning and improving, trying to apply it in a real game.

2 Likes

I’m more surprised that people are unhappy that games take 25 minutes. This strikes me as odd - how long do you want your games to be?

Or maybe I’m old-school Supreme Commander style where I like having 30 minutes to hour-long matches…

1 Like

I like my games to be 15-20 minutes. Longer than that and I get tired of playing the match. At that point it’s usually 2 maxed out armies and lots of income but neither player can actually commit to an attack. But it also depends on what the match has been like. If it’s been thoroughly scrappy I enjoy a longer game. If it’s against a turtle I just want it to end one way or the other.

3 Likes

Oh, that is true. Mech does encourage a turtle style. I recall the original complaints of Supreme Commander (the vanilla version) was that players would turtle behind rings of turrets, rush up to mass fabricators and start pumping out hi-tech armies and experimentals. They had to dial the mass fabricators down in Forged Alliance.

4 Likes

then dont play the game, get to masters and i will find a way, but a bronze hero to tell that mech is imba, especially when u can kill it early game with blink stakers, zealot with ez, please dont post anything more on the forums.

The thing about full mech is, you know that basically the only harass you will ever get throughout the entire game is hellion runbys (BCS extremely rare, raven turret - can happen, widow mines - only the first drop at best, it’s rare they send any more runbys after, but they can put them on random spots on the map). Knowing this, you are basically free to expand after you hold the first runby/drop. You do need to play like you are playing against a zerg though: wall the natural, build in particular ways to make runbys more difficult. The thing about mech is, it’s slow. They won’t attack you until they’re maxed out. This means you need to expand like crazy, defend, and tech up as well. Let them take their third base, but harass/deny it if you can. Get a fifth base if possible. Get the strongest ground army possible. Usually the 4th in a map pool is very vulnerable. When it comes down to them expanding, you bring your main army to deal with it. If you’re at a level where the opp always does runbys, leave 2-3 stalkers at vulnerable expansions (or cannons). Once you have a large economic lead, start to take bad (but not terrible) trades. Your goal is to starve the opponent out while you keep expanding. That’s how you beat mech. You can try skytoss, but it sucks. If a thor sees a tempest, it will win every single time. Carriers don’t have enough dps either. Mass vray can be great, but if there’s a lot of mines, you could be in trouble. Also, again, thor splash (broken unit btw).

Mech is crazy I go zealots they go helbats I go stalkers they go tanks!

I would be more interested in seeing a replay of yours.

Early pressure with blink Stalkers or Oracles is very hard to stop going Mech.
Mech is a strategy that you need to beat early on… or crush with waves of units.

If you cannot deal with Mech early on (being aggressive), you can out expand them. Stats DESTROYED Special’s mech in GSL by double expanding at once.
It will be incredibly difficult to beat mech in a straight up battle unless you have 5+ immortals. But, even that is not recommended. Zealot run bys, dt harass, multi prong attacks are how you beat death balls. This is why Bio-Tarrens drop early on to stall out a Protoss Death Ball.

3 Likes

berserktard the professional silver level terran hater

1 Like

Dizrupterz very good

He also beats HeroMarine, a terran. Lol. He’s getting good. There is such a thing as an increase in SKILL.

3 Likes

I think he was too young to play. Plus, clem is just good. His bio might be one of the best in the world.

@Truth
Yes, I know, My Mechanics needs some work.
Basically, I guess I’m just too afraid going in to tanks attack line. Those sieged tanks are scary.
This is one of the game that is indeed where one of my biggest flaws was apparent, I don’t know the critical mass of tanks.
The moment I see a sieged tanks, my minds says, don’t attack, just expand everywhere, which is why I am asking people here to tell me when is the right time to attack.

Uh, no. This one is dumb. I’ll take the other thing you wrote into much consideration though.

@Diogenex
Maybe I was just too dumb, but I feel like chargelots doesn’t do much. It’s like wasting 1000 minerals+ for minimal damage. Even though I know I can “waste” those minerals after I expand enough.
I’ll try learning from it, thanks.

@Steve
Thanks, I suppose I played rather too defensively. The only time I go aggressive is when I fight against other Protoss lol. I am too used to be the defender against Harass against both terran and zerg. I will try to be more in the map. I just don’t know the ideal timing to attack, still need to learn more build orders.

@AdMech
Don’t get me wrong, I love having some late games here and there, but when all the games goes there, it’s not really fun lmao. I just want some chaotic fun.

yes, this is obviously a rant thread. It’s not like I was asking how to get better against Mech as Protoss, yes, yes.

@CollegeWings
Indeed, but I have some matches where mech actually spare some supply for some bio without medivacs lmao, just to snipe base here and there with superior mobility, I guess i was (and still am) traumatized by it xD.

Nice tips. Carry on the troll.

@Acquire, it was posted somewhere in the middle, sorry lmao.
Oracles seems pretty week considering their scv’s hp and turret being a very effective anti air. Though it’s a good thing to trick them into mass turret I suppose xD.

Thanks for all the tips, really appreciate it. I see my weak side much better.

I like that nickname

I often find that disruptors are generally better against thor heavy armies since they chunk thors really well, and can be used to deal with hellbats reasonably too. ultimatly, they’re a way of softening and clearing out fodder units to get at the tanks themselves.

Once the hellbats are gone, chargelots clear everything up real well too.

1 Like

Don’t take it bad, but to people who’ve played HotS, seeing a protoss asking that will sound a bit funny. Though since LotV, Mech has indeed become viable against protoss, and increasingly popular. And so intermediate level players, who’ve never seen this, could indeed not find the answer right away.

You’ll find plenty of tips & suggestions on this thread. Ignore the original poster though, he was rather whining than really asking ; but rather take a look at all the answer given, you’ll see there are a variety of those.

And in case it’s TL; DR :

• Either do a chargelot archons immortals timing push to kill the mech player while he is trying to set his B3
  • Or accept the lategame, take bases, and transition towards compositions specially aimed at breaking mech lines (for example gateball immortals → tempest disruptor into chargelot tempest disruptor carrier vs tank hellbat thor mines). Each composition has an answer though, take a look at the thread for more details.