Map Frequency on Random Map

I’ve been recording what maps I’ve rolled using random map for the past while. I finally got to a sample size of 200+, so I think this is as good a time as any to post the results.

Commanders used have been a mix of Mengsk, Artanis, Stetmann, Dehaka, Nova, and Raynor - enough of a mix that I think my commander can safely be ruled out as a factor in what map I got.

1. Void Thrashing (23)
  2. Rifts to Korhal, Dead of Night (20 each)
  3. Lock and Load (15)
  4. Oblivion Express (14)
  5. Mist Opportunities (13)
  6. Malwarefare, Vermillion Problem, Cradle of Death (12 each)
  7. Chain of Ascension, Part and Parcel, Temple of the Past (11 each)
  8. Void Launch, Scythe of Amon (10 each)
  9. Miner Evacuation (9)
    203 games total

Obviously, the largest factor is the new prestige levels. Lots of people are trying to level as quickly as possible, and presumably, lots of people are playing Void Thrashing over and over again (little side note, uhg, shoot me). Anecdotally, I think Void Thrashing is coming up more frequently now than it was last month (but lacking data I can’t say for certain).

That said, these results or more or less in line with what I expected. Some maps are over-represented, but not hugely so. The 7-15 slots are close enough together that I would suspect the differences are more statistical noise than true favoritism. If that is the case, than the 1-6 slots might be tentatively called the most popular maps as they are a bit over the pack.

For the majority of this exercise, the spread was actually a bit closer together than it ended up. Scythe of Amon and Void Launch were trailing the rest, while Rifts to Korhal was slightly in the lead with Void Thrashing and Oblivion Express trailing Rifts. Only in the last 50 games or so did the top 3 separate themselves with Dead of Night catching up and Void Thrashing pulling ahead (I actually got 4 Void Thrashings in a row near the very end, passing up Rifts).

I hope y’all find this interesting! If anyone wants to do something similar, I’d love to compile the data. If you want to add though, all games must be on brutal difficulty and I’d like a sample size of a least 50 games.

4 Likes

This is why people lose their mind and complain about grinding lol.

Find a friend, party up and play random maps. Don’t like that map? Both you can remake. Bored of one commander? Switch to random or select one for a few games.

What’s the point of getting all 54 prestige first if you lose a piece of your soul along the way and is too dead to enjoy it after :joy:

3 Likes