Make 3-4 Player Co-Op

I wish there is 3-4 player co-op considering how we have more commanders now. It would be fun than just 2 players, and other people can level more for their commanders.

Please make it happen

13 Likes

Would be nice, but itā€™s been mentionedā€¦ their code base canā€™t support it. It would take major changes, or need to be rewritten from scratch. Either way, this sounds like itā€™s a ā€œlevel of effortā€ thatā€™s high enough to warrant charge no small amount of money for (probably a possible StarCraft 3 product).

People say Sc2 needs to support multi-threading, but critics argue a game like Sc2 that has very deterministic outcomes canā€™t really do so (I forgot the tech reasons given though).

Otherwise, Coop is currently balanced around 2 COs. They would need to redo some things to make it more in-line with 1 or 2 extra COs (e.g. Swannā€™s gas drones).

10 Likes

It would be cool, but it wonā€™t happen in sc2 for multiple reasons:

First the engine is not strong enough to keep track of 3 coop commander at once. A team of Stukov, Zagara and Stetmann would make so much lag and add to that all the ennemy units that are all around the map. It would be so chaotic and so slow.

Secondly, the balance. It would be really hard to balance the games. There is currently 18 commanders in the game and having to balance all the possible combo is near impossible.
Lastly, it would take a long time to create maps made for 3 players and balance them out. I donā€™t think Blizzard would take times to make 3 player maps for Coop when they donā€™t add new ones to the 2 player version.

One thing they can do is an archon mode of Coop, which can go up to six players (three for each commander). Their is also campaign maps made for 3 players in the arcade, but itā€™s with regular units and not with commanders.

5 Likes

Dude There is already 3~4P Coop mode in Asian Arcade Server.

battlenet:://starcraft/map/3/131144
4ģøģš© ķ˜‘ė™ģ „ - ź³¼ź±°ģ˜ ģ‚¬ģ› by ė² ģ§€ķ„°

4 Likes

I didnā€™t know that. I donā€™t play on the asian server of sc2.

Sounds like something I need to make a video of.

7 Likes

Lol maybe play with me sometime? You may need a translator :slight_smile:

Btw there is no need to level up in Asian Server to play 3~4P cause you play with All the Mastery points (Yes with 180 MP) with Full Commander Level!

Go to youtube and copypaste ā€œ[ģŠ¤ķƒ€2] 3ģø ķ˜‘ė™ģ „ !!! ź¹Øė³“ģ¦ˆģ•„!ā€ for a heads up!

and GET READY FOR some FUN! (also some bad lags hahhahahahahha)

1 Like

I feel like 3-4 players wouldnā€™t be as fun as 2.

With 2, I think thereā€™s a better balance of being able to do things yourself and covering for your ally / needing them to cover for you.

At 3+, I think players would be pushed to basically ignore parts of the map as someone elseā€™s problem.

Disagree. Because there are people who want to play together for a reason, and 2 people is just gating more friends to join in.

1 Like

Sure but is there enough demand to justify the time, money and effort to make 3-4 player co-op a thing?

If itā€™s going to cost them a lot on all 3 counts and they stand to gain little in return, it ainā€™t gonna happen.

Better to reserve this for Starcraft 3, Warcraft 4 or some other game where it can work.

2 Likes

THat is a great idea. THis will be very fun, but i think, that they should reduce the limit of player units in those games, because it may start to lag a bit. So for example 3 players with 75 % limit.

3 Likes

I would love that , i believe they could make it with 3 players at leastā€¦

I have several friends who love coop and itā€™s a shame that we canā€™t play 3 player coop whenever we are on at the same time.

I know this thread is a bit old, but how hard would it be to add ā€œArchon modeā€ to co-op to allow 3-4 players? (For those not familiar, it allows multiple players to share control of the same units.) That way no balancing or map design changes are necessary. Itā€™s not quite as good as a true 3-4 player mode, but it would still be fun.

Seriously, the game runs like complete butt atm. If they had to make more players aka twice the amount of units, both players and AI, they would have to do some serious optimization of the game engine.

Iā€™m on i7 9700k, 16gb ram, 2080 super and often fall down into 10 fps or lower.

2 Likes

I have been saying this forever. I have four gaming friends who play SC2 together, but we can never do coop when everyone is on. So we would love this. I understand it would take some work, but I think it would be worth it.

For this to even be a thing, they need to:

• Optimize the game engine so it can run up to 4 players in co-op at the same time smoothly
  • Create maps that supports 3/4 players from scratch, even if they are 3/4 player versions of existing maps
  • Re-balance everything

Thatā€™s way above just ā€œsome workā€. If thatā€™s too costly and/or doesnā€™t make a return on investment then it wonā€™t be worth doing.

3 Likes

i support 3 and 4 player co-op. some commanders does not need to changed, like karax for example. they could make it simple and release the mode as is. they would however need to reduce the number of amon players to compensate but, they can still have the same number of bases. the big questions is if the maximum map size is big enough for 2 more co-op commanders with expansions. one possibility is of course to use the current expansions for player 3 and player 4.

In all honesty, the coop team has been shrunk down to maintain coop and do a Commander every now and again. Youā€™d probably have good luck finding games in the arcade though. Thereā€™s tons of good ones there, including some campaign missions that were redone for coop play.

1 Like

Unfortunately there doesnā€™t exist alot of map that includes co-op commander into the Campaign missions. Just 3~4 in Asian Server

I donā€™t think the balance would work out. With 3-4 commanders, you could so easily cycle calldowns to use one to wipe out a wave/objective on demand to the point you wouldnā€™t even need units. Theyā€™d have to make whole new maps entirely balanced around more than 2 players. Either that, or theyā€™d have to overhaul the 2-player maps to make them significantly harder, and considering we never got a non-mutator difficulty above brutal even for 2 players, yeah, not happening. Just another pipe dream thread for the time being.