MacBook Pro 2017 Overheating

Every time I launch Starcraft II my MacBook starts to overheat less than a minute into the game and the entire laptop becomes very hot. I’m new to the computer gaming community, and am worried I’m ruining my computer. Should I not play the game at all? Or are there certain settings I can change to make the game run less harmful/smoother on my device (MacBook Pro 2017)?
Thank you in advance.

Howdy!

You may wish to lower your graphic settings, and try limiting your FPS. We cover some other tips on what to do about overheating Here. Overall though Apple support would best to contact about this issue for recommendations. Even if you stopped playing the game, other applications would likely cause the issue in the future, it’s best to get the issue fixed behind what is causing the overheating such as a clogged fan or it’s the system needs to be updated.

Thank you.

Macbook pro 2017 user here. Try to play in a ventilated area, or tilt the back of your laptop when you play. I play on ultra and, while it runs relative hot, it is not overheating. My solution is some similar to BLUELOUNGE – KICKFLIP (not exactly that but google it). And don’t play on battery; fans do not kick as hard as when connected to power outlet.

It depends on how high your graphic details you are running compared to your MBP’s specs. If you feel that it gets too hot, perhaps a proper ventilation will help (or reduce the graphics on the game).

All in all, shouldn’t be an issue as the MBP is programmed to shut down when it reaches certain temperatures.

here is a possible solution which i used on pc(i am not sure if mac have an app for it): reduce power settings for your cpu. the lower the power settings, the lower the heat. it does have the unfortunate side effect of reducing performance however. another solution is to buy some kind of cooling station. the temprature in the room is also a factor.