Ladder = Smurf land?

Hello. I’m not really new to the game but I almost never played ladder. Only vs AI. And I wanted to try to go on the ladder.

I’ve done 12 games on the ladder. And I’ve lost 5 times, 4 to smurfs.

Always the same kind of profile. Players who have a lot of loss where they leave the game at 0:00. All their losses are always on purpose to lower their MMR and to play vs weaker player.

They are really different. I’m not a good player at all but I know how to macro a little bit and true platinium players don’t stand a chance for what I’ve seen.

Yet from my small experience I faced a smurf from an unknown MMR 33% of my game.

Why are they doing this? What’s the point?

I don’t understand this behavior. You won’t get better like this.

6 Likes

All of us who aren’t smurfs want something done about it, but you know how blizzard is with SC2. They don’t care.

I don’t think the OP is facing smurfs if he never ladders or only plays vs the AI. He’s either still doing ranking matches or just plain losing to humans who play ladder more consistently. The AI is worthless for teaching you how to play against human opponents.

Btw if someone is smurfing you can check by looking at their career summary and looking at their winstreak currently.

Why would someone leave 20+ games in a row almost instantly at the start if it’s not to lower their MMR?

I mean, I know the game. I watched a lot of streams and not only pros. I also know how silver, gold, plat, diam, Master players are supposed to play.

I’m currently at ~3100 MMR because a while ago when I was new to the game I’ve done placement matches and the game ranked me at 2700 MMR.

Now from what I know, I’m not really good since as you said, I just know how to macro since I’ve played a lot of games vs AI.
But I think I will reach at least D3 easily.

True platinum players plays a very long time on 2 bases. They never make more than 60 workers and they stop macroing while they micro.

Now when I said I faced smurfs, the players I call “smurfs” were multipronging me at 2 or 3 sides and were still macroing at the same time.

Watching at the replay, they were not perfect so no, I wasn’t facing GM or even high master players.

Yet they were smurfs. They don’t belong in plat.

1 Like

It’s better to play team games. Ladder is basically cancerous streamers trying to make money by bullying on new people.

2 Likes

Quite frankly, NA ladder is done for. They’re trying to keep up appearance here and there but it’s clear that if you’re not somewhere at the top, you can’t enjoy the game.

Was it terran harass? If you don’t consider the 20 L streak (screenshots?) then they could have been legit practicing multiprong. If you do watch pro matches, some players make do get significant returns sending a group of lings/lots/medivac full of MMMemes to run by or distract from or while something more important is happening.
You could post the replay, if u like, at drop.sc
I’d watch it.

Honestly i have come back after along break from SC2 and thats kinda my impression as well. I have time only to play 6-8 games per week on average these days, and sometimes it seems i find mostly smurfs(it does seem to also depend on day and time). Last time i played i had a bit more time and played maybe 10 games, Im positive first 4 were all smurfs. Unranked accounts , with a history of plenty of 1-1 games. They werent godlike so I fought a bit, but they were clearly much higher then platinum 1. I tried to reason with them in the past and the most common response was “Oh no playing in Masters league is so stressfull, I have more fun and relax smurfing and beating the crap out of diamond players (I was playing much more often then and was in diamond)” So they dont want to get better anymore, they just want to feel powerful and smart by stomping guys that really cant fight back. Its for me the classic bully character.

All in all with the population and age of SC2 ,they are idiots, because they are cutting the branch they are sitting on, if many more players stop playing ladder soon there will be smurfs on both sides of the matches lol. And for me it is frustrating to play against smurfs.
Still nothing can/will be done about this, so the only way is just to keep calm, and enjoy other games.

2 Likes

classic SJW impotence right there. You are the real chad, FireStorm10.

That’s sound like the classic ‘‘I’m barely good enough to be master 3 so I will have to smurf at diamond as a coping mechanism’’, they are afraid of playing ‘‘stressful’’ games and realize they are barely holding enough mmr to stay at m3, so in their minds, they think they are truly master players and are smurfing because they are good and want to have fun and not because they are weak.A solid master player can chill and play at master 3.

2 Likes

I am “smurfing” and for those of you who cant figure it out, people like me play in lower leagues to have fun and try stupid stuff without affecting our real account’s mmr. For example, whenever i play on this account i do mass vikings/ mass ghost, nukes rush and planetary rushes, builds that ppl my level would destroy in 5 mins. So im doing this to at least get destroyed in 15 mins instead of 5 and maybe snatch a win. After all its a game and i need a break from laddering stress and just to have a bit of fun.

Why cant you just play as good as you can with this stupid stuff account, and just accept the level you are at? I mean having/leveling other accounts isnt a problem, the problem is when you artificially lower your mmr or do unranked crap to play against much weaker opponents. If you dont that, and just got second accoutn for stupid stuff , and you normally play at whatever level you end up with your stupid stuff, im tottaly fine with it.

It’s incredibly ironic for people to complain about how other players aren’t trying to improve and play their best while simultaneously crying about how they get to play opponents that give them really good practice. Playing against players that are 500-1000 MMR above you is really helpful. Both smurfs and people who complain about smurfs are two sides of the same coin, you’re both obsessed with winning the single game you’re playing right now.

2 Likes

I tottaly disagree.This " You should thank smurfs becasue you can play against high skill players and learn" is the standard smurf justification and its untrue. Usually the skill gap is so great, you dont learn anything, because you dont even understand what is happening.More over just like above Florin said, smurfs usually employ nonsensical strategies that they can only pull off because their macro/micro is miles above the oponent. In this cases you might even learn some false stuff. The ladder system is for a reason and people who artifically lower their mmr to play against lower skill players are essentially griefers. They cant stand the stress of facing similar level opponents so they go and force much lower skill players to face players that are miles ahead of them lol. Dont you see the irony here?

Yes i like to win, but I compete against players at my level, within the rules. I dont go harrasing silver league players.

1 Like

I am genuinely convinced that if you have the stomach for it, the best way to learn is to cheese to somewhere in masters and then start playing macro there. I know it’s very emotionally rough, but it’s not actually possible to scout even in low masters properly. Low level games do not make sense at all. If you’re going to say smurfs don’t do things that make sense but at least have mechanics, well what a fantastic way to improve your own mechanics.

Just because you lose doesn’t mean your opponent was a smurf.

I wouldnt call harrass if u already handicap urself playing some of the worst strategies. That would only be the case if u played the standard to flex ur superior gameplay. I mean, for example, I wouldnt mind playing vs Trap if he was only allowed stalkers while i make mass immortal.

Trap has smurfed in M1 on NA when he could only use a mouse, I thought that was cool. An M1 toss I know ended up beating him which was nice.

Some months ago I saw Golden beating a Z player as T with only mouse and his left hand on his head,around 5,2k-5,5kmmr. I also rember DRG many years ago winning some game against a diamond using chopsticks.

So plz explain to me, what does it have to do with SJW?
And I really couldnt care less if im a chad or not lol , I am who I am and I think/do what imho is right.