Kerrigan / Raynor Ending

Generally speaking, that was the original Zerg Campaign. They’re more or less a devouring swarm in “Brood War” as well, but this time focusing on setting Kerrigan up in a position of absolute power.

1 Like

That’s the problem. The psychotic succubus is nowhere near as interesting as the brain bugs

1 Like

To you. She’s a popular character overall.

1 Like

Popular doesn’t equate to good. Twilight is an example of something bad being popular.

Also, the only reason she’s popular is because Blizzard kept advertising her and focusing on her in their writing, not because she’s any good from a critical perspective. There’s also a lack of other interesting characters, so fans have little option but to focus on her.

She’s a blatant mary sue. She’s literally a demigod according to the writers, has arbitrary plot device powers, is based on Metzen’s ex-girlfriend, her Wikipedia page literally states her defining personality trait is her lack of identity, etc.

The only reason Starcraft fans give the writing a free pass is because video game standards in general are low to begin with. And childhood nostalgia filter.

I’ve visited several scifi fanfiction forums and nobody is interested in her. Starcraft has such an uninteresting… everything that nobody who isn’t blinded by nostalgia is interested in it.

If Starcraft was a cartoon on Netflix, then there’d be dozens of videos criticizing its plot as trashy wattpad fiction.

The zerg were more interesting before she crapped all over them. Blizzard took a potentially interesting concept and trashed it. As they do.

I’m not expecting Blizzard to ever improve, but I was hoping fans would be open-minded enough to move past her… but apparently not. This fandom is creatively dead.

You have no idea who Kerrigan is, Mary Sue? She has continually lost and her victories are based on the sacrifice of her humanity and her only way to create a change not from her fusion with a megaorganism. She is not favored. She loses and does not. You know what “her lack of identity” means, she was the weapon of the tyrants, used once and again she did not need identity, unlike Nova’s cheerful training, she was a guinea pig, kept drugged until her own powers were his enemy killed aus parents woke up from an alien drunkenness to be hated by all, if mentioning the same inconveniences of another ghost the memory erasure
Overmind>queen of blade>overqueen
Now you want to make a distinction, the overmind was a stage of the zerg and clearly the real identity of the swarm but the Roman empire is gone and an era of kingdom in its shadow ensued and does not dignify that there is nothing to tell the transition is what What has happened to one of the things that I would have liked to see is the return of the Swarmind, but now we are in an even weaker third stage of the Zerg now they have founded a vassalage system and the overqueen is not powerful enough even for control abathur now the zerg are fief doms until overqueen remain the strongest the zerg just like the protoss are now in decline a shadow

2 Likes

I know her backstory is grim dark, but the games do a horrible job of showing her character. In SC1 she’s zerg jesus, in BW she has ridiculous plot armor, in SC2 she murders loads of people and becomes a fire angel, etc.

I’m not giving her a pass for the Uprising novel.

The stories we got so far have been consistently mediocre, even declining further in quality (if that’s possible). I don’t expect that to improve. The state of Warcraft lore is a testament to Blizzard’s inability to write coherent stories. Blizzard is never going to tell an interesting story with the broodmoms. If anything, Blizzard will assassinate what little characterization they currently have. Reviving the Overmind a second time sounds exactly like something Blizzard would do as part of yet another bad story.

1 Like

Resurrection is not a narrative problem, the problem is how poorly sustained is this resurrection, the second overmind was a justified resurrection, the cerebrate is a fragment of the overmind, and the behavior of the swarm tries to regenerate the lobotomy that the protoss did to him. It sounds consistent with a mega-organism with adaptive capacity, coherence is what makes the existence of a second death star tolerable, but it does not make every superweapon in the first order feasible. if they set up a coherent structure but blizzard can do it, but I think they lost the opportunity by returning to kerrigan like heart of the swarm and not create a swarm mind, now it would feel like when fans forced to tassadar not be the first conscience integrated in the khala and be a Ouros farce or Raynor needing to bring Fenix ​​to his claim to kerrigan. which is consistent but knowing why they did it is annoying

infinite cycle was something that the fusion of the pure of the form/ensence was gestating is heart of SC is not a plotshield, they constituted a logic behind they implanted the idea the protoss and the zerg were corrupt since HotS and they only continued advancing with the “things will not end as you imagine”

Will they? Killing Kerrigan is all well and good, but I highly doubt that the Protoss will prioritize that over invading Aiur.

By the way, are you a Tennessean?

kerrigan is the only one who can command the zerg recovery Aiur is a waste of resources if they are not able to maintain their presence there, the zerg return from annihilation to billions with ease, the invasion of Aiur coincided with 2 years of defeat from kerrigan

no, I’m Hispanic

Well, the Zerg on Aiur is feral. So maybe retake first? I mean Kerrigan herself never went to Aiur. It’s safe to Adun that she isn’t interested.

To be fair to Tricky, if nothing else, the StarCraft 2 Merrigan is a Mary Sue. The universe just bends itself backwards for her.

1 Like

Quite so. But it does show what people, as a whole, like.

She’s been extremely popular since the original game where she was kept as a surprise.

Well, shes one of the main characters, its natural that she gets a lot of focus

I don’t think she is really a Mary Sue, this is a term thrown around too freely. She definitely have her weaknesses or setbacks, and her ascension to Xelnaga was kinda progressive and not that random. Sure, some might criticize the way the story unfolded (I do think is obvious the ending is showing Kerrigan as a xelnaga now, who was able to shift back to her original human body and took Raynor with her who knows where).

I say the story its pretty OK for a videogame. Also I think the criticism toward Kerrigan is blown up of proportion by few fans who dislike the way the story progressed or the fact Raynor doesn’t somehow kills her for Fenix or such.

For example Kerrigan taking down several military/industrial Dominion planets in HotS is just strategic war actions to ensure her success and is no different than similar actions from real history (keeping the proportions ofcourse, we talk about sci-fi in space on one side) or even done by others in SC universe (both Terrans and even Protoss).

I strongly disagree here, in my opinion is the other way around. The Zerg were made interesting and more relatable (from a player/fan perspective) when Queen of Blades shows up. She opened whole new perspectives both for them and for the game and story, otherwise they would have fade away as the generic xeno swarm type with no depth and with basic abilities and simple animalistic needs (a sort of bugs from Starship troopers or aliens from Alien franchise, the original main sources of inspirations for zerg I think). They would have be just the bland, generic xenos with a bit of a horror vibe that can hide in an ambush to rip your head off and you need to shoot all over again at every corner

No ofense but this part of your post

is sort of contradicted by this part right away

Well, thats the story and the main characters and while I understand not everyone likes it (and I agree it have weaknesess or lack of depth here and there) it seem pretty fine for a videogame and lots of fans (maybe not as vocals as the critics)

1 Like
  1. Use Raynor to create a false generalization, if you change the jury of a murderer for family and friends the verdict will change, people change their judgments for emotional ties, and more if they have information about the context, this is how it is manipulated internationally to the public.
    2 Raynor and Kerrigan just made a revenge
    3 kerrigan is now the prison of the zerg, the motivations of kerrigan were human concretized now his selfish humanity sacrifice now also traces the shield against Amon, she leaves is sad the expectations of raynor to save the girl and walk to him sunset are broken from them is sentimentality in its loss

Kerrigan does not experiment, she effectively kills the messenger a common tactic in war, and he is certainly not comfortable with it, but his selfish mentality is at last justifying the means. and I talked about Raynor’s sentimental heart

those planets are defensive measures of mengks the forces are not static, so the need for a defensive ring while kerrigan executed the closest thing to a surgical attack that we will see a zerg do in a planetary fortress, it is also considered that kerrigan’s moral varied as long as it existed or not and when he discovered that he lived and his judgment, it is certain that he thought of the stupid he was, someone more empathetic would have tried the inflitration but she had the keys of the kingdom and in the most certain way of realizing her revenge and she took it, but conveniently her stupidity and selfishness were vital to the universe

Yup Gradius that is true I agree with you if you want to chanhe the ending it will mess up the timeline besidesmaybe all races are enemy to each other

In ten to twenty years when Blizzard runs out of ideas for Starcraft, this is the ending they’ll go with so they can bring both Kerrigan and Raynor back into the story. So this is the one I’m banking on as canon.

1 Like

You really believe Blizzard won’t go bankrupt before that? Your faith in them astonishes me!

You’re assuming they’ll actually care about Starcraft to the point of searching ideas for a sequel storyline.
My theory: they’ll turn Starcraft into one of those mobile apps like Clash of Clans to rack up that sweet Chinese dough, no story needed at all.
That is, unless the Coronavirus is as deadly to modern China as Smallpox was for Native Americans, in which case Starcraft may have a future on PC :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I suspect it will be far more dangerous to the political climate than to the populace. Totalitarian regimes do not, in general, handle epidemics well.

If it breaks one down I expect Iran way sooner than China.