It's been 426 days

…since the last new map was released. That was Cradle of Death on June 19, 2018 with Patch 4.4.0.

After that, we’ve had 3 new commanders released - Tychus, Zeratul and Stetmann. But no new maps.

While it’s nice to see co-op getting various other updates and content (albeit in an irregular manner), the complete lack of new maps I find to be particularly irritating.

Why is it taking so long?
Has this issue been discussed or even been brought up at dev meetings?
Are new maps even being worked on at all?

I get that making co-op maps take time but 14 months passing by with a whole lot of nothing done is ridiculous, even by Blizzard standards.

But even if one new map is released tomorrow, it somehow feels inadequate given how much time has passed. I think 2 or 3 new maps in quick succession would be enough to bridge the map content gap.

In the meantime, I’ve been leaning more towards unconventional tactics like using mass Cyclones and mass Blink Stalkers to try something different. But playing those on the same old maps can only do so much.

36 Likes

Cradle of Death is pretty strange map. I get it very seldom, the gameplay is strange, like the waves of enemies which are of all races. And some people hate it. I just don’t like it.

11 Likes

the last times i selected random i got either cradle of death or part and parcel. i can understand why blizzard does not release a lot of maps. they are a lot of work and they get nothing in return. commanders cost money. what they could do is charge for new maps.

2 Likes

Adding a price for new maps when they have always been free is a stupid idea.

Being greedy will turn away players and that will do more damage than you realize.

9 Likes

when the choice is between no new maps and a price tag for maps, what do you prefer?

5 Likes

Wrong question to ask given that it’s already established that maps are free. Also Blizzard is hardly strapped for cash.

The problem here isn’t money - it’s management.

7 Likes

blizzard is greedy and will only release stuff that they can make money on.

2 Likes

i think the content for coop was cut to very little so people get from time to time a commander and nothing else. People are getting excited over a warchest that only brings more microtransactions and that is it. As many people mentioned before , coop is at a point where they probably will let it die slowly and focus on multiplayer.
The last big change beside comm/map was the introduction of ascen and before that mutations , 2 big things for coop since the beginning and as u mentioned no map in a year , makes the mode less popular.

1 Like

I agree. I don’t like it either. It’s strange.

I feel like the idea with the trucks disabling constructs is fine, but the map layout is just bad i think. Having your base in the middle of everything with attack waves from all sides was not a good choice to make.

8 Likes

The problem with paid maps is that it would be way harder to find a partner to play with, since only a fraction of the playerbase would own the map. Therefore longer queue times.

I think it’s more reasonable to just include the price of 1-3 extra maps in every new commanders price… so after releasing a commander they also have the funds to add a few maps before the next commander comes out.

1 Like

Not a good look if they suddenly drop a new map with a price tag. But make it look more special, for example release a “co-op mission pack” packing 3 or 4 missions with slightly more narratives.

Don’t want to buy like 12 maps for a cost of Campaign.

And CoD is still my least favourite map even after de revamp. Yeah, the game needs some more maps. If a price tag is needed so it be. After you buy it you can pley them on COOP even if your partner didn´t.

1 Like

heh… I might be the only person who dislikes SoA as much as CoD

They never attack your expansions though. I found that odd, but abused that to my delight all the same.

In other maps, you typically get “3 avenues for attack” anyways, even if 1 or more of them end up being through your expansions.

2 Likes

Welcome to coop.

Big boy Tychus took 9 months to be developed, 9 months without any new commander. Content drought has been around for a long time.

I used to care, but after 3 disappointing commanders and one of the worst maps in the game I gave up on wanting new things, because I don’t think current dev team can deliver it.

Many people still like the new stuff though, so all I can do is hope that at least they get something good. Me? I’m fine playing Karax.

2 Likes

If there’s enough pent up demand for new Missions, then I don’t think this’ll be an issue. They’ll happily shell out $5 in that case. As a bonus, they better keep up with the joneses on bugs and improvements since this is technically a “paid product”

They already bundle in Stimpacks in this fashion. I figured people would be more upset if they had to pay for COs they didn’t like just to get to the maps.

How is this any different than paying all of the COs whose summation of costs is on par of a Campaign? We have bundlings (campaigns still include some COs), rare discounts (Stukov and Nova were half off a year or 2 back), and deals (e.g. Twitch Prime), but for the most part everyone including and after Abathur still cost $5 each.

1 Like

Me as well. SoA has really annoying secondary objective.

I tried it yesterday and did beat it, and it’s better now that they reworked it.

Still, the mechanics of the map remain pretty unpleasant to deal with: like, your base is in the very center of the map and can be attacked from any direction when you are away, your win depends on non-indestructible artefact trucks which are necessary to neutralize dangerous constructs, and if your partner is not attentive in bringing that truck to objectives, you cannot win even if you’re doing your best to carry.

I am not sure about other people, but it remains my least liked map.

1 Like

I am in the same boat as you. I dislike those same maps equally because while SoA is doable, I just cannot save that freaking bonus objective, and the rare times when I manage it, it’s because my partner is incredible.

That, and in SoA there’s a realistic chance that you’ll beat the map before the bonus objective goes to its last location, so that’s one more way to lose bonus on that map.

1 Like

I’ve been playing co-op since the early days.

14 months without a new map is arguably worse.

Content drought has gotten worse to some degree in the last 18 months. Prior to that, new maps and commanders were being dropped fairly regularly.

You realize this is playing into Activision’s hands, right?

4 Likes