Is there any other game same as SCII?

As title says… is out there anything same or close to same as SC2?? Asymetric balance, different units, counters, cheeses/macro game, fast pace playing, couple playstyles, air/ground, spellcasters, etc etc. I just for future, cuz I mostly playing team games, and when they dont care about team versus and just keep buffing air units (because they suck in 1v1)… some day I will say Bye Lizzard.

This is probably the number one thing missing from other RTS games. Most of them are more about immersion than competitiveness.

1 Like

Grey Goo is your best bet apart from game-speed, casters (few or no activated spells), and cheeses. It has everything else.
Otherwise, you can play WarCraft III.

Noo, W3 is old and slow :confused: but I will check the other one. Thanks for help

If you consider WarCraft III slow, then your concept of RTS games is completely off and you should probably stick to another genre like MOBAs or FPS games instead. EVERY RTS game is slow according to a standard that considers WarCraft III “too slow”.

Most “good” RTS games including StarCraft II are also relatively old by this point. If you are going to complain about a game’s age, then you are playing the wrong genre.

3 Likes

Warcraft 3 - 2002 vs SC2 - 2010. And yes compare to SC2… I can asleep playing W3. Definitely W3 hasnt dynamics like SC2.

1 Like

I would kind of argue that, as far as a game that you play and not a game you watch, the damage to health ratio for SC2 is a bit too high favoring damage.

Somewhere in between WC3 level of damage:health and current SC2 would be better.

1 Like

I wouldn’t compare them, they are completely different games, wc3 is slower with different dinamics. Starcraft bw-2 are basically a rts with a small amount of units and lots of fast gameplay,only two resources, while in wc3 minnions could be considered some kind of resource/objetive.

Age of empires 2 DE is also popular, but its slow, really slow, the first 15-20 minutes are basically making walls houses farms and chopping wood. And lategame reminds me of the old swarmhost vs swarmhost games, endless waves of units clashing at some point of the map, some tech switches to do the same. From what I have seen, early skirmishes are the most fun part of that game.

I’m afraid SC2 is the fastest, and more responsive one in terms of pace and micro, while still having the strategic depth that you describe (asymmetric design, units & counters, cheeses/macro games, different compositions, spellcast and micro). And so its teamgames, solo and custom games modalities developed a lot compared to others. It’s no accident that others are seen as alternatives, as it’s the reference in the RTS domain.

RTS are a quite unpopular genre that being said. As for the alternatives, there is WC3, Age of Empires, and Command & Conquer which all recently had remasters. But you won’t find the same sensations than in SC2.

So I’d say the biggest competitors for SC2 will probably be either WC4 (if the franchise ever comes back from being an MMO), or SC3. So it’s not for tomorrow. :yum:

Yes exactly thats the back side of AoE. 15-20 min spending just watching into screen without any action? :confused: oh holy crap, has it even player base?

And thanks :confused: somewhere inside I know this allready that there are nothing familiar with SC. I hope dev teams will wake up and do theyr job right :frowning: not that much is needed, but still annoying issues in game.

Yes, I didn’t know it since some forum posted told it to me, checked and apparently has a small but decent and dedicated player base, at twitch some days their stream numbers are at 3-7k and have tournaments, so I guess they have some pressence in the RTS world.

WCIII, at a higher level the micro is more intense than SCII, but it’s like a 3 hero moba with some macro for most the game.

There is very old game based on SC1 called Atrox.

Gameplay:

It’s just like modded SC1. Three races extremely similiar to SC races, similiar resources but working the same, very similiar bad SC1 movement and very similiar campaign menu when choosing the episode etc. It also seems to be the same engine.

I used to play this for a while (it does have multiplayer TCP/IP play) but I always wondered if this is just a fanmade modded SC1 or legit game because it was standalone application released like 4 years after SC1.

1 Like

er … This game is pretty bad at balance and such over-all.
I am assuming you also mean more modern games 2010+
so older games wont matter at all and what knock? you gotta be a bit more specific coz i can think of alot of games over-all.

we talking only RTS I assume?

prism tanks and tesla tanks are vastly different from each other.

There isn’t even a RTS close to SC balance what comes for asymmetric design. Stop whining.

To OP - The RTS genre is fading for the last 15 or so years. It was once one of the most popular genres and there were a lot of good RTS games. Sadly it is too hard for the new generations. They want to play something easy, that’s one of the main reasons this forum has 95% useless topic of pure whine.

You are Zerg you cant micro well so im not surprised u think so. Wc3 made me play multiplayer 1v1 really. I carried some of my knowledge over SC2.

Too bad in SC2 you can be A mover and just as long as you macro you can win. I’ve seen even terran poster that whines here a lot like that, But thats the Protoss mostly…in a nutshell.

I watch/play/played both and I think War3 still is much better and more fair game than SC2 with 3 races. Too bad the game is old and lost relevance, the reforged isnt helping that change

1 Like

yeah should be RTS, but I got an answer. RTS is not popular cuz its too difficult to play for younger generations. I understand that, so Thanks for answers :frowning: sadly

Conquest: Frontier wars is probably my favorite RTS game
It is a bit slower than SC, quite a bit, but it has a unique wormhole mechanic and supply lines that make for a very dynamic logistic war.
For example, ramifications of that ysystem include that units lose their “ammo” (which is called supply) and then are useless once depleted, reuiring restocking at certain buildings or taking special units that resupply them with the army. And building being unusable when outside of their “supply zone”, which means that if you try to expand too far from your main base, your buildings do not work unless you make the equivalent of a command centre in that location. Also, you can target their supply lines to damage their economy, infrastructure and restocking of units.

All in all, very tactical and extremely interesting.