Is there a way to zoom out during play?

The camera is just too close during game play. I’d like to zoom out further while playing against the AI. I’ve looked at the camera settings but cannot determine which value I should change.

4 Likes

If you are playing with normal zoom (after turning on the game), you cannot further zoom out, until you play some custom maps/mods. Many players have “zoom in” option blocked in settings.

If you watch replay or observe a live game, (I believe in default UI as well, but for sure in WCS 3.0) you can use Z or Z + Shift to zoom out and have large field of view - which is not available while playing.

If you suspect you have more zoomed view than most of players, consider comparing it with some Youtube videos and providing us with screenshot of your game? Usually you can use mid mouse button to zoom in/out.

2 Likes

What about being able to zoom out a bit in coop games ? Those are against AI so should be fair to do so.
I would love to see a bit more of the map since everything looks kind of big on my 27 inch tv, with 2k resolution.

2 Likes

Is there any answer to the original and follow up question. The piture is too zoomed on my 4k 32" monitor and I am not aware of the secret combination to zoom out. ctrl, alt, shift+z just does not work for co-op and many arcade maps.

just bc it annoyes me to no end.

nope zoomout is not possible in sc2 while playing, properly bc they think it would be “unfair”.
but its totally ok to use macro repeat rates to click 100 times a second by holding down 1 key.
or to macro a-move 100 times a second with a key, which is actually full on automating the games process and circumventing design.

also you can’t use keypads or other pad design for competitive play bc, its unfair and you can do macro’s on them; though as seen above thats not actually a concern.

there is no reasonable explanation to this; so we all just have to deal with this subpar design choice for the better part off 2 decades.

but at least the ceo off blizzard is one off the highest paid ceo’s in the world; so you can joy over how the resources are being distributed fairly and intelligently :wink:

this comment will properly be banned as any comment that can be negatively intepreted is ^^

have a great day to anyone who might see this while its still there :smiley:
also try Dow1, dawn off war 1, especially with the mod “UA”; got great ai, good zoom, good design on tiers, unit types really matters and it looks amazing for such an old game and has a pretty active multiplayer scene ^^

hope you all the best :smiley:
see you in SC3 for the same complaint, just like sc2 is now basically sc1; but without a lot off the cool units from broodwar; man i wish we had most off the campaign stuff in competitive play :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: