Is Immortal's Barrier working correctly?

Hi!
I was testing the Immortal’s barrier in the Unit Tester.

Barrier says: “Absorbs up to 100 damage while blocking the first instance of damage. Lasts for 2 seconds.”

I targeted the Immortal in two different scenarios:

1. With a Disruptor’s Purification Nova
  2. Battlecruiser’s Yamato Cannon.

In both cases the damage went through the barrier. But it says that it absorbs blocks the first istance of damage…

Edit: for me “blocking” means “to completely prevent something”. Also, it’s written “while it blocks”, so that “while” adds something to the effect.

Is it just the tester or does it happen in regular multiplayer as well?

PS: maybe the tester is running old patches, do you know if it’s like this?

Meanwhile, have a nice day!
Marco

I think that means that the 100 dmg absorption applies to the first damage (as opposed to previous behaviour where the barrier was triggered after the damage was taken, only absorbing any further damage that happened during those two seconds)

Hi!
Thank you for answering!

I understand your interpretation, but it says “while it blocks”.

So, it implies a separated effect. And, if it’s like you said, why would it say that the barrier lasts 2 seconds? There would not be need for this. Even if the effect ie continuous (e.g. Viper’s Parasitic Bomb), the “first istance of damage” would be the first “tick”, because “istance” is different from “source”, that would make things different.

It would have been different and according to your interpretation if it would have written like this:

“Absorbs up to 100 damage. This applies only to the first instance of damage”.

What do you think?

No I mean that it absorbs 100 damage over 2 seconds, including the damage that triggered the effect.

Before the patch, immortal hit with yamato would have 60 HP left and an active barrier (that would expire after 2 seconds), after the patch it has 160 HP left and no barrier active (because it was used and absorbed 100 damage). This way it is much less likely the barrier gets wasted.

At least that is my understanding :slight_smile: I am not a member of the banana council so I am not 100% sure of the intent of course.

1 Like

This is from the 5.0.12 patch notes (clearly the intention was to buff Immortal vs ghost where the EMP would drain 100 shields and trigger barrier, and after the patch it would only trigger + drain the barrier. So it’s also possible that they did not even think about yamato or purification nova):

Immortal

• Barrier will now also block the first instance of damage which triggers the Barrier.

Community Council Comment: Counts towards the 100 damage blocked by the Barrier.
Currently EMP hitting an Immortal will drain all of the Immortal’s shields as well as activating the Barrier, which will generally expire before the Immortal ends up receiving other damage, making the ability lose value in the mid game against Terran.

1 Like

The Tester works as ladder does; except for unit-specific upgrades not being synchronized.

Barrier absorbs up to 100 damage - similar to standard shields “blocking” damage from being dealt to the unit’s HP - except it is active for only 2.14 seconds, instead of indefinitely.

In both cases:

Yamato Cannon does 240 damage, so the Immortal should take 40 HP damage (100 to shields, 100 to Barrier)

Purification Nova does 145 (+55 Shields) damage, so the Immortal should take 0 HP damage (100 to shields, 100 to Barrier). That it doesn’t feels odd considering the change - before said change, Nova would deal 100 HP damage (as the Barrier would trigger after the damage instance).

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your answers!!

They were very clear :star::people_hugging: