Improving Clolarion

Lots of people (either US or Korean community) complain that Clolarion is’weak’ or ‘not as useful’. So I made some improvement for his battle capability.

1. Clolarion’s Solar Beam also targets ground.
  2. Clolarion’s Bombers also targets air.
  3. Bomber’s radius are increased by 25%.
  4. Bombers can actually “HIT” their target (by tweaking speed).

I don’t know about you but I don’t think the ‘Bombs’ ever hit anything, if it really does I think it happens “rarely”.

1 Like

Now P2 Clolarion will be less crappy lol.

2 Likes

To be truthful, I am not 100% sure what his problem is, although he is a potato (compared to the great Kaldalis) I think he’s kinda fine.

My only problem is that his bombs are just useless.

Some people even want Clolarion to be a supporter or healer.
So… what exactly do people think of him?

1 Like

I think he’s useless. The time it takes to get him despite the tech removal, his lack of damage buff comparatively, combined with the fact he isn’t durable despite all those flaws. It all makes him comparatively too expensive and costly (time wise) to be useful.

He’s fine to use but if there was a champ I’d skip in my P2 group, it would be Clolarion. He doesn’t really have a shining quality. Flying around but slow enough to not make a difference. Anti-air is better dealt by the cheap and more powerful options of Talis, Warbringer, or Mojo. Has no splash or sweep abilities.

Yeah, just overall meh lol. He shines comparatively better in non-p2 cuz the buff is just so unequal in P2 for other champions. Like your video makes him look OP but really he’s just about right. Talis would single handed destroy those in less time.

Honestly a fairly decent change for Clolarion. Fenix has a lot of ridiculous anti-ground capability, but his anti-air is legit trash. If this, plus a small AoE (and I mean small) was added to Mojo’s stun missiles, then Fenix’s AA would actually be half decent.

1 Like

Fenix anti air is not the very best, but is nowhere near trash or half decent category. What are you on?

5 Likes

Look at his army. Your only options for AA, outside of burning your Dragoon energy, is Adepts (which I love to death), Scouts, Carriers, and Warbringer’s Kamehameha blast.
Scouts are fairly fragile and do better vs armored, so Mutalisks and the like can cause some problems for them.
Carriers take a long while to get online.
And very few actually use mass Adepts.

Generally speaking, Fenix’s AA is pretty underwhelming.

I gotta say that I don’t agree with Fenix’s AA is “trash” either. I mean like you literally listed 5 different options separately, without even combining them for more options.

As P2, I can 100% beat any map and comp with just Kaldalis and Talis, without any other champions. That alone should be telling how AA isn’t nearly as bad as you’re making it sound. Perhaps even to the contrary, his AA is quite strong just that the perception is weak… but only compared to how insane AG is for Fenix.

As other prestige, his units are not “durable” per se. That is true. They also aren’t zergling to flamethrower fragile.

Regardless personal view on Fenix’s AA. I think the change itself, without any association to AA as a topic, is a good proposal for Clolarion. As a Champion, he is just a nice upgrade to get for mass carriers. Kind of like an inexpensive decoration to the strategy. As a separate champion for any other purposes, he is very underwhelming. That’s why I support this buff.

3 Likes

-I really want his solar beam to deal +20 vs light. Also it makes any units being damaged by his solar beam take 100% more damage from all source for 5s. If it could do this, i am fine with it not attacking ground.
-interdictor’s bomb deals +50 vs building.
-interdictor’s attack stun enemy for 2s is also nice.

I feel carriers do not get enough love in general. Battlecruisers got things like yamato and tactical jump, not to mention how ridiculous the Hyperion is. Not sure why Blizzard hates carriers.

I actually did do my own take on improving Clolarion. The things I noticed with him is that, aside from the solar beam and the bombers, he’s a stock carrier. He doesn’t even get increased damage.

So the things I did were to double his interceptor damage and health, increase the amount of interceptors he can hold by 4 (up to 12), and increase the amount of interdictors he can hold by 2 (up to 4). I’m pretty sure I also did some other things, but my messing with Fenix was not really in the same degree of earnest as my changes for Swann or Horner, so I didn’t really commit to Fenix as much.

I think going towards “+dmg to structure” is the more useful (and correct) approach. To that end, I think Cerebrate’s suggestion there makes the most sense while the numbers are tweakable.

As I said above, Clolarion has no real defined purpose. It is comparatively slow to roll out, slow to move, and costly in all senses. So what would these kind of units do generally in SC2? These are the type that can siege.

So I think it would make more sense to change its damage towards objectives as a whole. So on missions like RtK, SoA, etc. he can shine better.

2 Likes

Probably because their main selling point is “breaking the AI” (both of player individual units and the AI as opponent) and there’s no satisfying way to fix it without making the unit useless or otherwise broken, to the point they may be wishing they never made it in the first place.

I actually found clorarion to be a pretty decent unit, his solar beam hits air and his bombs hit enemy AA units and provide additional DPS vs structures (which is kinda needed in some maps).
Sure, he might not be as good as other units, but i at least find him useful and fun to use (IMMA FIRE MAH LAZOOOOOOR)

I never noticed how weak Clolarion really is by himself until I got him in zealot defence, granted this is outside his laser beam.

There was a similar thread about this, and I remember commenting about it… And yes Clolarian sucks cus his damage output is meh for the price, even with P2. What I suggested before:

1. Solar Beam targets ground and air.
  2. Solar Beam splits to 3 adjacent targets like the destroyer for 50% damage.
  3. Clolarion’s overall attack range is equal to that of a Tempest.
  4. Bombers targt ground and air.
  5. Bomber’s radius is equal to that a siege tank.
  6. Bombers projectile speed is the same as a fighter’s.

I am considering to change Clolarion into supporter/healer (due to almost even opinions on Reddit).

1. No change in interceptors and Solar beam attacks (Air only).
  2. Interdictors’ attack heals the life of units (12 x 4 splash)
  3. Clolarion emits Aura that grants bonus 25% ‘range’ damage reduction (Clolarion and Legionnaires will be more durable) and 25% ability cooldown (Which Mojo and Warbringer can greatly benefit).

I don’t have it as video because Interdictors aren’t listening to my tweaking, sorry guys.

1 Like

Oof. 25% damage reduction on top of the 33% from the conservators could be quite a bit. Especially since most melee units are nothing to Fenix when they come face to face with Kaldalis… Or pulled around by Taldarin… Or melted by Warbringer.

Even if you gave the two fields diminishing returns, it might be too much.

1 Like

True that, to be truthful I didn’t know what other buff to put other than cooldown reduction.
For me when I control Fenix, Legionnaires die quite quickly even with champion support and Conservation field, but I think it’s just me. Maybe it’s because I am putting the Legionnaires too early at the front.
I think cooldown reduction is helpful for Mojo’s anti-air and Warbringer’s Purifier blast support.

1 Like

I think you’re on the right track as to having him be more support. Ground comps already melt to Fenix, and while he can’t melt air the same way, it usually doesn’t impede him that much.

And even with Chlorine being more support, Fenix doesn’t need much more support once he gets his deathball rolling.

Most people either start with a Kali/Talis opener, or a Tally/Warmachine opener. Maybe some kind of buff to air units ONLY could open up the possibilities of an air opening over the others. It would also have the added benefit of not boosting his ground army deathball even more… Something he doesn’t need any more of.

1 Like