If you could buff Artanis, what would you do?

Maybe a calldown wich consists of Artanis Hero unit wich fight for 60s or so?

2 Likes

Then you don’t understand the game, or game design in general.

You can siege one in the back to provide power for both parties. This way you can make MORE Energeizers and Sentinels, while also providing minor assistance to a Protoss ally.
You can also siege Conservators and get more bonuses. Both work while sieged.

1 Like

I need Pylons for supply anyways. They warp in instantly, so it’s not like it’s any burden. From there, I can warp in Sentinels and Energizers.

Maybe not make power field castable in fog, but keeping vision once put down would be nice.

Tempests having some percentage of their damage in AoE, maybe research gated, would help them be more than a meme build for cheesing objectives when a mutation is hard on some maps.

Phoenixes could have some more hp and/or shields. Which would also buff Amon’s variant, but considering those enemy comps are basically seen as some of the least threatening that wouldn’t too bad.

Bring back totally fair and balanced 1 minute CD guardian shell.

I think he’s powerful enough. Upgraded shield overcharge makes every unit in an 80-man army as tanky as capital units for 40 seconds. It’s kind of ridiculous. Between that and solar onslaught, Artanis is an excellent base-buster. Zeals and temps give you great aoe and survivability. No complaints about the cookie cutter Artanis army. It’s powerful, simple to micro, and it’s available early. Having 200 free supply really gets you on your feet fast.

But all his power is concentrated in a few units. Zeal/goon/temp is all you ever need. I don’t find any use for immos, phoenixes, tempests, reavs, or archons.

Immo survivability isn’t particularly useful cause you already have guardian shield, shield overcharge, and psi storm making your army durable as hell, and the goons you have for anti-air are also good for anti-armor.

I don’t find phoenix’s damage suppression ability to offset their fragility in large fights (the only fights that matter).

Reavs seem to overlap too much with whirlwind and psi storm, so I don’t find that they add enough to offset their cost and slow speed.

I find tempests to be highly situational and micro-intensive. They’re simply terrible in mass, and are only good for fighting in defensible locations, so they weaken your main mobile army. I don’t find their cost and delayed appearance to be worth sneaking in a few relatively worthless bunker kills. I’m probably not fully utilizing them, but it seems that hardly anyone else is either.

Archons are basically 1 stormer for the price of 2. Their moderate damage is not worth the cost, and their unimpressive aoe radius overlaps too much with whirlwind and storm. Their survivability is actually not good for the cost, and they make themselves far less survivable by needing to be in melee range. Artanis doesn’t need tanky units anyway. I’d rather spend 25% less supply and gas getting temps in order to have 50% more storms to keep the entire battlefield constantly blanketed.

Idk, that’s just my experience as an intermediate player. There’s probably uses for advanced units that I don’t take advantage of, but I don’t find this same discrepancy with some of the other commanders I play.

1 Like

Splash damage tempests? This could be useful…

1 Like

Tempests fire huge ball of energy but strangely it only harms one target…
Tempests are mostly used for support fire against heavy ordinance ground units from afar. I wish air range in Tempest could be the same with the ground range.

1 Like

-Imortal is really a niche unit, it’s just for more anti-armored dps and take some yamato shots, zealots already does amazing.
-Phoenix is good vs Zerg including air comp, but even then, hightemplar/archon fares much better.
-Reavers are good but they’re not mobile to push and defend attack wave, Oblivion Express or Temple of the Past is where they fare better.
-Tempest also fairly niche, what they have going is that they kill stuff without taking much damage, but their low attack speed coupled with projectile, tends to overkill and wastes a lot of dps.
-Archon needs some love tho, you can pretty much defend attack wave with 1-3 hightemplars spamming storm on them, then morph into archon, for either energy or guardian shell already used, so you use them as tank and feedback those annoying spellcasters, really good vs Zerg overall too.

Reavers is only good at the map with infested though because you don’t have unlimited energy to spam Psi Storm from your templar or Archon. Zealots will die very fast if they dived into infested that can explode.

They are only good at certain mutation where your grounds units can’t break thru the enemy base or objective due to the mutation.

Archon is awesome because it can hit air and ground. Very strong against zerg. Archon has no issue of dying if you are actually casting storm on them together with enemies. That said that if you are massing dragoons, then, of course, you don’t want to mass Archon then because both units required a lot of gas consumption.

1 Like

I mean, it’s kinda like Yamato cannon. Big main weapon of a capital ship, yet it only hits 1 unit. Only hyperion’s Yamato cannon does AoE

Back when we were getting teasers for heart of the swarm, the one trailer showed tempests fighting a massive wave of mutalisks. It likely dealt AoE back in testing.

That makes sense. Although I wish their air range is 14 like in versus version.
It is a pity that Tempest Disintegration doesn’t stack. That would make them “must have” for Avenger stacked Hybrids and objective units.

Although we crap on tempests for their godawful anti air range, they’re considerably better than their versus counterpart in almost every other way:

• Artanis tempests cost a bit more minerals and gas but 1 less supply,
  • Have 50% more shields and hull
  • Deal 60 damage to everything (compared to 40 vs ground, 30 vs air, and 52 vs massive air). That’s +50% more damage against ground and double damage against non-massive air units, at the cost of attacking about 15% slower (estimate)
  • Move/accelerate a bit slower
1 Like

It’s just that they attack air in too much close range.
But then again that’s what the dragoons, High templar and Archons are there for.

I did a HT + Archon build for Miner Excav. one time, but I specifically choose to go all in on “Energy Regeneration and Cooldown Reduction” mastery. It actually worked out pretty well. I don’t remember running low on energy. However, I’m too much in love with the “Speed Increase for Warped in Units” mastery, which is what its competing against.

At least Reavers start off with Scarabs, auto-build them, and don’t cost mins to build. I recall switching to their control group and furiously pressing ‘R’ to keep up with the joneses in BW.

Yeah, wouldn’t be the first case. When we see Mutalisks in them Sc1 FMV cutscenes, their primary attack used to be just that… some kind of acid spray. In fact, the Glave Wurm attack was for the Queen, but all that ended up getting shifted around.

I remember the Sc1 manual described Psi Storm as “literally tearing apart the minds of lesser beings”. Well, they also work on robotic units (like Obs, Shuttles, and Reavers), so gameplay shifted to reflect balance, but it was too late for the instruction booklet.

Aside from changing robo bay cost to 150/150 like on ladder, I would probably buff the tempest.
Increase its air attack range a bit, and have its disintegrate ability either stack, or do the damage a lot faster, it doesn’t really feel worth researching currently.

2 Likes

Archon is awesome because it can hit air and ground. Very strong against zerg. Archon has no issue of dying if you are actually casting storm on them together with enemies. That said that if you are massing dragoons, then, of course, you don’t want to mass Archon then because both units required a lot of gas consumption.

I guess I’ll try out archons more against zerg then

Should do that with ALL Robo Bays

1 Like

Some kind of mobility.

Maybe he lacks DPS compared to other commanders but his compositions are more tankier. 2 groups of 35 Dragoons can push 2 objectives at once. Not many commanders can do that. Definitely he is not weak. Buff to bad units like phoenixes and tempests would be ok.