I thought Mutas where hard counter to vikings

Two engagements I found my self destroyed by Vikings.

I had 30 mutas vs his 24 mine where only 1/1 his where 3/3

End of fight I killed two Vikings while I lost all my mutas.

I understand he had two upgrades but I thought at very least took more then half his army.

I am actualy surprised of such a result. Are you sure that there were only vikings involved and not some burrowed mines under vikings? Can you share the replay?

People still make mutalisks?

1 Like

The upgrade difference , HP difference and range difference all mean that the vikings are going to do a lot more than the mutas. That he lost only two surprises me; I would love to see the replay to better understand what’s going on.

With only 2 casualties, it sounds like a widow mine shot probably snuck in there. That many mutas should have been able to do more damage than that unless they were immediately told to retreat after getting in range and just werent allowed to attack.

3 Likes

That’s what I suspect as well. Likely some miscontrol ghere, but also the possible presence of ground units could have significantly reduced the amount of bounce damage from each attack, especially when paired with the armour upgrades.

1 Like

I use mutas a magority of the time ive taken out fleets of voids, vikes, even carriers, bcs, and libs. Carriers and libs being the hardest. If you only killed two vikes, then your doing something very very wrong. Now you did say he was at 33, while your at 11, but only killing 2 vikes, thats a bit impossible unless something else was at play. you also just cant slam mutes into the the attacking army, you need to focus fire down the stuff. But still ive never really lost a fight to vikings unless significantly outnumbered.

3 Likes

also try to stutter step when using mutas, it works more than youd think

1 Like

Mutalisks… Don’t hard counter any air units (except for silly things like brood lords and observers). They do okay against vikings and void rays, but that is simply because mutalisks aren’t armored. If you have 30 mutas against 24 vikings, I imagine you’re going to take out a lot more than 2, but it’s slim chance you’d win that fight. Like Kelthar said, you probably got shot by a widow mine

1 Like

Ya there are so many ways splash damage can be missed in even by 1 unit

They have cool drift micro where you can stutter step, they attack while gliding then you can start moving again.

yep, there not a bad unit at all if you can control them right. I play 3v3 ladder and there my main go to unless theres phenix about. I have no problem taking even fights with vikings and voids, you gotta know how to run them, target firing down voids is the best way to take em. As for vikings if they are doing run and shoot, mutas got the speed to overtake them and overwhelm them… Libs can be a pain especially with upgrages, and as for carriers your better off swhitching over to corruptor any day but in a fight with say 40 to 6 as long you stay ahead of the carriers range you can stay ahead and shoot down all interceptors and go in for the kill. Again any more than six your better off taking the mutas on a run and leading them away from the base so you can speed back and take out all the pylons and workers then its simply picking them off. Dont know how many times i pulled that off.

Mutas do not counter vikings. Mutas are pretty much a dedicated harass unit. They only “counter” units that can’t hit them back, like medivacs and observers. Mutas are strong in fights only when they have overwhelming numbers, which can often happen if you deal enough damage to the opponent’s eco, but it’s more common vs Protoss or other Zerg than vs terran, since Terran units generally perform the best vs mutas.

Vikings have 9 range to pick away at mutas while they harass, and do high damage/shot to negate regen. In a reasonably large fight, that range advantage is a pretty big deal, and lets vikings kill some Mutas on the way in, especially by kiting.

1/1 vs 3/3 is a huge deal here as well, since Mutas depend so much on upgrades due to their bouncing attacks. 3/3 vikings are taking almost no bounce damage, and dealing 24 per volley to your 9.5 per attack (including the bounces). Vikings have double the attack interval, but that’s still ~1/3 more DPS from the vikings, and the HP is pretty close + vikings hit first and probably kill 3-4 mutas before the mutas even get in range even without kiting.

1 Like

again you just gotta know how to play them, ive taken on same odds and as ive said vikings are slower than mutas you just need to over take them immediatle then its pretty easy. mutes attack faster than viking and can be macrod with more eas then the viking. again ive done it enough to know.

2 Likes

protip : if you see mass vikings, make a couple of vipers, one or two parabombs will deal critic damage during a fight against vikings and if the player level is not high, you can will with just a couple of clicks and some bait.

gotta be good with castors for that, every time i try to use vipes or infestors, or any castor for that matter i hit my mark 1 in every 10 shots. really bad with that one. but you are right on the parabombs, they help alot mass air, same with the infestor shot.