I think second wave from chain of ascensions mission is too strong

(first of all, English is not my native language. so there can be a lot of grammatical errors. I beg for your generous tolerance.)
In my opinion, Too strong wave comes at too early time.
In the second wave, we have to face up to an enemy of level 5 in both of tech level and strength level(I’ll call this wave as ‘5/5 wave’ below.).
These strong enemies usually appears in the middle or late timing of missions in other missions.
For instance, the first appearance of the 5/5 wave from Void Thrashing Mission is 15:00. when the game has reached at middle(or climax) of the game.
but in chain of ascensions mission, this 5/5 wave comes at 7:00. This is completely early in the game.
This strong wave is not an problem for common co-op missions. However, when the enemy-enhancing mutagens such as ‘Avengers’ or ‘Just Die!’ Are affecting the battlefield, there will be a huge problem comes out.

To conclude, my opinion is that ‘the second wave in the chain mission of ascension requires adjustment’. I look forward to hearing from users using this forum.

6 Likes

I believe the wave is bugged for a long time. It is not intended to be that strong.

3 Likes

I agree, as will most on these forums. However, it’s been that way for a long time, probably since it was released March-end 2016. So it’s unlikely to be fixed, or even considered a “bug” by Blizz.

My strategy: Apart from saving calldowns for this wave (spawns at 7:00, reaches your base ramp ~7:30), use the high ground from lower ramp first, then kite them to the base ramp, especially during mutations. Also good if ally attacks from a diff side to split the wave a bit, and use something with Area/Splash damage. If I’ve lost any reasonable amount of of my early-game army, I consider the 7min wave un-doable and may as well exit, or pray that my ally can solo that wave.

PS. Your English is fine for a non-native-English speaker. The grammatical errors were trivial and almost not noticeable while reading through it non-carefully.

3 Likes

Yeah, unfortunately, the best case can be made is “it is one of those things you learn from experience…”

As Drow said, it’s been there for a very long time, tech level wise jumps up quite high for a second wave. The only way to deal with it (even with mutators) is to be prepared for it.

One saving grace is that first hybrid wave autospawns at 9min or at first spawn corner location. You can see more information here: h_ttps://starcraft2coop.com/missions/chainofascension#timings (stupid they removed my link posting… freaking forum lol).
So the gap before then is your best bet. As you allow the 2nd wave to spawn and arrive at your base, it’ll closely approach 9min, putting players in a terrible spot of dealing with 2 relatively large waves at once.

If my memory is right, when this mission has released, there was no strong wave of 7:00. 3.8.0 patch(september of 2016) had created this powerful wave.

Yeah, it was after a patch. My guess is they accidentally assigned the wrong value in the spawn-able pool (ie. typing in say tech ‘4’ but accidentally ‘5’).

And likely afterwards, they just went “meh, it works fine let’s leave it”. Boy did they leave it haha.

Am I the only one who likes the 2nd wave from COA being 5/5?

2 Likes

Crushing that strong wave gives us pleasure.
But when that wave combines with hard mutagens like ‘Avengers’ or ‘Just Die!’, It becomes ‘try not to be sad challenge’ ;(

1 Like

The funniest thing is that 3rd wave is weaker than 2nd (or it seems so, correct me if I am wrong).
It must be a bug.

Mine would be “Plot Armor”, “perfect” combos, and Transmutation.

I forgot how big it was. Anyone reminds me?

Seems not intended and can be a bit tricky when not prepared. Against Toss/Terran comps this is one of the best times to cast those dark archons as Zeratul. You have some high tier units in no time to start smashing Amon big time :blush:

:wave: I do!!

(20 chars)

1 Like

But it’s fun to fight

1 Like

Yup it is, goes down to 4/4 for the third wave. The fourth wave is the same as the second as well, at 5/5.