I really dislike how Static Defence works at the moment

The problem is that most types of Static defence focus on killing units rather than slowing their assault.

Not that I am not that attuned to the balance or anything, but I do know that static defence spamming is not a fun way to play the game. In my opinion, the static defence should be a protection against run-bys not an accompaniment for an army because it rewards not attacking.

Terran static defence is fine, Bunkers cannot fire without supply in them and siege tanks require supply themselves. Missile turrets work like other static defence but at least they have an obvious downside that cannot be mitigated by another form of static defence.

Protoss is pretty bad, Shield batteries should not be used as a healing device. Maybe they shouldn’t work on Air Protoss at all. Photon cannons are a mess, could just remove them and replace them with a structure that cloaks nearby probes or something interesting like that. I’ve always felt that the Protoss aren’t as high tech as they should be.

Zerg are probably the worst, their static defence is not only effective but also generic, just slam Spines and Spores everywhere once supply capped, you cannot go wrong. Honestly, Nydus Worm’s should be a legitimate defence tool rather than a cheezy attacking tool, make them more accessible and make it so they must be placed near hatches. give Spines much more health, less burrow time and a tiny range so that they just work as walls. Maybe Spores can have no damage but a slowing effect, that might be too powerful, maybe it doesn’t work on units that were quite slow to start with like Carriers and Battlecruisers.

Anyway, this is just a bunch of suggestions that will never make it into the game. Since this game is not going to change that drastically and all these suggestions would throw the game balance off completely. I am just throwing out ideas here to express my frustration about the game not being completely how I want it to be.

1 Like

Lol just like you want

1 Like

Ok, so you slow down the enemy and then… a single banshee or a couple mutalisks or a phoenix or whatever now kill all your workers/overlords because your army is on the other side of the map and you have no tools to actually prevent people from just going around them with a small force and destroying your base.

5 Likes

You mean Inhibitor zone generators? we already have that in multiplayer. It’s good to keep these things neutral and rare so we actually have armies clashing rather than a tower defence game.

2 Likes

Yeah France tried this post WWI and it caused them to get occupied by the Germans in WWII.

Turns out building a big screw off fortification basically signals to the enemy that they should go around and ignore it.

2 Likes

Zerg have Queen’s that act as anti-air though, you would also need a lot of air to take out a Protoss cloaking field (which could be protected by shield batteries) to get to the probes. Although Cloak can be a bit unreliable due to some races having very easy ways to counter so maybe it should be some sort of protection field that makes probes take far less damage so a battery could heal them.