How well are pre-mastery COs at tackling Mutation Casual and Normal?

AFAIK, assuming your ally is also roughly the same level (but not necessarily same skill level and experience with playing Coop mode), even any lv1 CO should be able to do Casual Mutation (CAStation? Casual-M?). Normal Mutation (NORMtation) should be a stretch, but still within grasp. Going up a few levels, or getting some key power spikes should allow for that?

At least what I’ve noticed with HARDtation and Brutation are they’re roughly one level higher vs. for their regular counterparts. So former would be Brutal, and latter would be some theoretical “Brutal one higher” (and an actual difficulty level for regular games. Not the Brutal+ we have now).

ADDITION: I’m looking for some ranges. For example, I generally would NOT recommend people play Brutation on lv1. But how many of them could handle Normal or Casual at lv1? At lv5? For simplicity’s sake, let’s assume some “average” players. They’ve got some experience with Sc2 (let alone used computers before), but not some “super expert”)

That would depend on the commander at question, but more importantly the player in question.

There will always be some poorly matched mutators for commanders. So while it is entirely possible to even do brutations with pre-mastery CO, when poorly matched you’ll need an equally competent ally to do their fair share.

On the other hand, no amount of mastery would help a player who players poorly, let alone matched poorly against mutators… even on casual (whilst sub-15). An inexperienced player going mass p3 bunkers against transmutation/poops would ruin your day (just as an example).

So really it’s kind answering but not really answering the question you posed.

As long as Aggressive Recruitment and others horrors like that exist, no, Casual would not automatically save a commander from a mutation, even at level 180 earnestly earned and with the “mastery 100% full” manip.

How bad is Aggressive Recruitment on Casual or Normal? The drops are surely less frequent, smaller and enemy units in general do less damage.

It’s the mutations which are equally bad at any difficulty that are truly the problem, like:

• Double Edged
    • whatever damage you do is dealt back to you (and then regen’ed over time)
  • Diffusion
    • half of the damage you deal gets spread among your and your ally’s units
  • Polarity
    • ally co-operation needed, in co-op; invincible enemies
  • Heroes from the Storm
    • because it’s bugged and the fewer attack waves means that the Heroes stack and come together in the waves (or so I hear)

Most other mutations either have a lower frequency or count of “the bad thing” (nukes, infested, missiles, enemies to make broodlings, hybrids to go boom, enemies with two lives, etc.) so should be notably easier at lower difficulties.

3 Likes

Even at normal “brutal” rate, it’s not that bad. Prior to 15min, there’s only 5 waves, roughly 2-3min apart at very manageable tech/strength levels.

I mean the bigger issue is definitely why the player is on casual/normal. Objectively speaking, I think it’s clear that there is not of concern to deal with mutators.

However, I’m not sure that being objective is important here either since there must be a reason as to why they are on those difficulties. That being namely the player skill.

I know that when I started, I was glad to do be able to “do” mutations on Normal and Hard (referring to the ability to “play”, not necessarily to win, which I was able to, with a good ally). I know I’ve mentioned a long while back that there should be Normal+ and Hard+ difficulties coz some mutations are doable at lower skill levels.

Wrt ppl doing mutations not on brutal - either new or enjoy the non-brutal mode. I recall coming across some really good players on regular Hard who have the 500 missions on Hard achievement but just the first or not even the first (10?) achievement for Brutal. So it could be they just don’t enjoy it, even if they’re absolutely acing Hard. (Doesn’t make total sense but it does seem to be a thing for some.)

Was this from before perhaps, I wonder.

It’s been awhile now since the Hard to Brutal change, but prior to said change the jump was significantly more different. Even though not because of the difficulty per se, but the game speed threw people off too.

I don’t know, but it makes sense some do want to stay there. When that progression isn’t gauged properly, the difficulty transition is lost. And I think that rings especially true to custom mutation, turned to brutal+ so to speak. It was meant to be ‘harder’ but really became more frustrating for most than difficult. Then again, that’s an old problem on top of new problems with never fixing any of the problem… err problem xD.

I consider myself one of the kind of people you’re talking about, those who have many games played on hard but very few on brutal. I do that mainly because I play the difficulty which ensures me I can win the game either my ally has a good playstyle or is afk but connected. I’m comfortable playing brutal once I reach level 15 (as I’m over ascension 90) but I may feel like a burden for my ally if I play a CO under 15 (even more if I go zerg), or in certain maps (I really hate CoD o CoA).

Currently I’m prestiging up and my remaining commanders are all zerg but Swann, so brutal is not gonna be my main game mode for a while.

2 Likes

I’m guessing it’s the same reason why they play regular games on Casual and/or Normal. They probably can’t handle Hard or above, or simply just want to have a much more laid back game. Ditto with those difficulty levels for mutations

Me, I’ve played Normal Mutations when leveling up. I’m likely going to get obliterated if I try a Brutation on lv1 (although 180K XP, plus an additional 44K would do wonders for leveling up! :sunglasses: That’d be enough to go from lv1 to lv6 in just one game! Or up to lv8 if we still had 100% bonus XP). One time, I forgot to switch from Hard to Normal when on lv2 and would’ve lost, but my P3 Alarak was able to carry, so I lucked out there!

There are A LOT of games to sink into to get through all the Prestiges, so playing Mutations for both the variety, and XP bounty will go along way towards making the grind, less grindy.