How to: cast like Maynarde

Other commentator: [says something about the player’s situation]
Maynarde: He certainly is.

High quality commentary indeed.

Nothing to do with the casting but I was curious on the viewers count… 2.9k. Holy crap this is low.

Are you talking about the tournament? It was at around 10k viewers when I made this thread.

Feminine men (the majority of viewers on twitch) love hearing british/aussie accents. I can’t stand them.

I’d much rather hear Maynard than Pig/Feardragon/Kaeleris because their fake enthusiasm and high pitched voices and manic way of speaking too quickly is annoying.

1 Like

Feardragon is probably my least favourite caster, I can agree with that.
However, I don’t feel like PiG is high pitched or overly enthusiastic when casting tournament games. He tends to make the most knowledgeable comments and pick up on nice little details here and there which demonstrate his game knowledge and are appreciated.

I also kind of dislike how Rotterdam still doesn’t know that “if he would have” is not proper English after so many years doing this job.

I mean, fluent as he is in English, isn’t it his second language?

It’s my second language as well.
It’s just not any English mistake here, it’s one of the worst ones (on the same level as “should of/would of”) and he makes that mistake on a daily basis.
Like, genuinely every single day of his life. And he’s a streamer with an average of 1,000 viewers every day, so you just know people have been correcting him for years and he just hasn’t learned for some reason.

As for the second language thing, I’ll also point out it’s the only English mistake he makes. His English is pretty much flawless otherwise.
But it’s weird, it’s like a stubborn, conscious refusal on his part to process this information and say this one specific thing correctly.

Confused about the context of this. What is the sentence where this is ungrammatical?

All sentences.
The correct way to say it is: “if he had done this”, or “would he have done this”. You can also say “had he done this”.

“If he would have done this” is always incorrect.

1 Like

In American spoken English, “If he would have” occurs all the time. I’m a native speaker. It’s perfectly acceptable.

Yeah, so in wrong English then.
https://www.grammarbook.com/blog/verbs/if-i-would-have-vs-if-i-had/

If I wasn’t a native speaker, I suppose I would also think this very sentence was wrong for not using the subjunctive mood! You will be very upset to hear actual native speakers out in the world, lol.

“If I weren’t” is better here.
https://www.grammar.com/if_i_was_vs._if_i_were

Honestly, I’d be embarrassed if a foreigner was teaching me my own native language.

Read my post again:

“If I wasn’t a native speaker, I suppose I would also think this very sentence was wrong for not using the subjunctive mood!”

I already described your “correction” in the very post you thought you were correcting. My point is native speakers often do not use the subjunctive even though they recognize it.

Your point is Americans purposely speak incorrect English, and that’s supposed to excuse it?

Shall I stop using nonstandard contractions such as “gonna” for future tense? Perhaps a foreigner could “teach” me that as well.

You should, honestly. It reeks stupidity, just like anything even remotely linked to AAVE.
It’s basically a disclaimer for lower than average intellect.

Yeah, correcting people’s dialect is definitely how the highly educated talk to each other. It’s totally not pedantic and overcompensating.

1 Like

I think it’s sad that we’ve reached a point where expecting people to speak proper English is perceived as pedantic.

The point of formalizations like Standard American English is to serve as a lingua franca in formal communications. It’s a post facto construction of convenience. It is not a descriptive record of the “real” language.

If a foreigner fails to recognize nonstandard constructions like “gonna” or “ain’t” or “if i was [hypothetical]”, ironically it’s because they’re inexperienced with the language, not because they’re educated.

1 Like