How should I Improve PvP learning curve as new player

Hi there,
I truly need some advice on how I can improve in multiplayer.
So as background, I’ve been only playing this game intensively for 1 week.

I played the campaign, I did all the training mission, and I’ve also played with
vs. AI as well (very easy difficulty). So overall, I already have understood the foundation of the game.

But whenever I do 1 vs 1 unranked, I always lose instantly. It’s like that all of my opponents are twice faster than me. And somehow I felt that I’m playing against an experienced player instead of a newbie like me.

And whenever I lose, I always jumped back to play with vs AI on the very easy mode. And again since it was very easy, I didn’t really feel like improving at all. (Also confuse about this… Am i able to change the difficulty of the AI?)

Then as you guess, when I play 1 vs 1 again, I lose again and again…
So I’m basically trap in this loop (between playing with easy AI or 1v1).

So what will be your suggestion for me to improve as player?

Should I keep playing 1 v 1 until i get good, no matter how many time i lose?

or should I focus on playing versus AI first, and trying to improve the speed of my gameplay?

Feel free to share you opinion. And you are allowed to criticize me as well.
Sorry for my bad English or grammatical error (English is not my main language).

Perfect the 2 adept opener. If you are new, no one will know how to wall off adepts.

The AI can help you to form good habits like expanding at the right times, and perfecting your build orders. You might want to try 1vAI to get to know the game and know the speed you need to work at.

Once you have the ability to beat AIs of medium or higher level, you should look into sites like https://liquipedia.net/starcraft2/Main_Page to check out build orders. This site has a lot of other information that might be of use to you, such as common strategies, tips, and unit data.

When it comes to playing PVP you will need to learn to play against players. However, being able to build quickly, and know what you are building, will help a lot.

It will take some time to improve, but it will take much longer if you just throw yourself at opponents online without knowing how to play efficiently.

My tips for beginners is :fire:
-Campaign, you have done it already.
-Maybe some co-oop, sounds weird, but it’s a mode vs AI that makes you manage a low number of bases and make a ton of units, it’s a fairly easy way to start understanding the basic macro and unit control/compositions.
-Games vs AI, get a build order (check the web www spawningtool dot com) and follow it, it does not matter the level, what matters is that you follow the order, getting the things at the correct supply.Don’t worry about long games, at first, just try to play well the firsrt 5 minutes, then the next 5…etc.Your ultimate goal will be learning the basics during the first 8-10 minutes.
-Team games, specially 2v2, the style is kinda similar to 1v1, there are weird things, but the level is usually lower than 1v1 and the enemies are human, so you can practice on a real environment and you can also check your ally to see how they build things.
-1v1, get ready to lose a lot of games at the beginning, but if you followed some of the previous steps, you will start with some knowledge and won’t lose a lot of games until you start stabilizing and winning more.

When I started, I jumped directly into 1v1 and I got destroyed, 30+ games in a row lost, and until I started winning more than random games I lost every game.

You can also check this YT channel, he has gameplay guides for every level, extremely useful for new players, he focuses on the basics for each level and it has guides for every race.

He meant player vs player, new players don’t know that pvp in starcraft is protoss vs protoss so it can be confusing for veterans because we say just 1v1.

3 Likes

First of all stop playing the AI. It’s not good for learning how to play vs people.

It’s hard to get better at starcraft without instruction. You kind of need people to teach you stuff at the beginning or the game will appear extremely chaotic and difficult and you’ll die a lot to simple stuff.
I would recommend you take time and make your way through vibelols bronze to gm video series. Vibe has a conservative style that isnt best for everyone but at least he’ll teach you the basics of what a 1v1 sc2 game should look like. You can’t just watch pros play and replicate it on the ladder particularly at low leagues. You’ll just die a lot to things like not having a zealot in the wall, widow mine harass, dts stupid stuff the pros auto counter but you have to take time to prepare for.

That’s false even pros sometimes play vs AI when they want to test things such as build timings, it’s like shadow boxing or hitting a boxing bag, even if you are alone it’s useful because you get faster and learn the movements without being interrupted.

1 Like

pros dont play vs the AI. They test builds but the AI isnt needed. The AI is usually on easy where it doesn’t do anything. They can actually do the same thing by just loading a map and not having the AI. Pros dont practice a strat and ask can I kill the AI with it and say it’s good because they killed the AI.

Pros might not, but it’s very helpful for learning the game and its mechanics and units. Playing vs the AI can help, as Diogenex said, with build orders and whatnot. For a player just starting this information is invaluable.

Hello! I recommend playing PvP, just focusing on consistently building workers and spending all your money. One thing you can try out is mining only minerals, and just building lots of marines/zeals/lings. Don’t worry about winning or losing; just focus on spending your money. It’s a lot of fun, especially if your oppenent is tryharding and you are just messing around with a bunch of marines with no stim or medivacs. I read about this on a forum post somewhere.

One thing that is important is using your hotkeys. Always use hotkeys for building units and giving them commands like attack move. For control groups, most players I see have all their town halls bound to one control group. Most people I see bind all their unit-producing structures, but people do it differently. For example, a terran might bind all their rax facs and starports to 5, and tab through, or bind their rax to 5, facs to 6, and starports to 7. Some tosses bind their gateways to a control group, while others use the warp in hotkey. It’s just personal preference. It’s important to bind your units too. For example, a terran might bind their MMM to 1, their vikings to 2, and their tanks to 3. If you split up your army, you might bind one half your army to 1, and the other half to 2.

Yes they do. They play in custom.

Well it’s a mechanics based strategy game, so just play and think about the game. Some guides/builds would help too.