How important are coop build orders

When I solo with Kerri, I go drone drone gas gas drone drone Cancel one gas overlord mine gas gas spawning pool mine gas drone as my opener to get out 2 evos and have a 4 min hive.

But hunter just posted about 19/21 gas which is normal…

So does it matter?

1 Like

Does it matter to win the game? Not really.

Does it change how well you perform? Absolutely.

If you are going Kerrigan Solo Opener, then Hive finishes roughly 3:30min, this allows Ability Efficiency to be started right away giving rise to more Immobilization Waves, as well as Assimilation Aura to make up for lost income.

If you are going Army Opener, then proxy Hatchery gives better macro in most cases. And one thing to keep in mind is that these two openings are very dependent on mastery choices, if we are discussing min/max. As in, don’t choose Kerrigan focused masteries then open with macro Hatchery and expect the same max army timing.

Duh to the second part, but fine I will submit. What’s the BO to 3:30 give?
But yah It doesn’t matter in the end because it’s brutal coop and brutal is easy

Build orders are important to a point. Like a new player who opens 15 Overlords before first worker will get absolutely trashed.

But once the player has enough mechanics and knowledge to work on building up the economy and spending money, then even without a solid build order or plan, the player will probably do reasonably well.

If you want to carry or have reasonable success at the harder mutations, you probably want some form of a build order.

If you want to speedrun, you definitely need a solid build order.

6 Likes

I just googled for the 3:30 build order and I couldn’t find it. Anyone have it?

The way I see it, as long as you’re able to deal with the first attack wave, build order isn’t something you need to strictly follow.

If you’re Raynor and you don’t have a barracks up before the first wave spawns, you’re not going to have a good time when they get to your base. But other than the basics of just having units prepared early enough to matter, you really don’t need to have everything timed perfectly.

Build order doesnt matter unless you’re trying to set a world record

1 Like

I would understand build orders in almost any co-op scenario except solo heroes.
Why the hell would you need a build order if you won’t build a thing anyways?

The build order is there to get your hero powered ASAP. In the case of Kerri its about getting her upgrades out fast, and quick omega worms for mobility. As LilArrin said, “If you want to speedrun, you definitely need a solid build order.”

Well, my answer was more to darthzeran’s question “So does it matter?” then to LilArrin’s post.
Of course everything matters for speedruns or some other tryharding. If thats the goal, then its better to just compare timings of both build orders.
But for usual having fun playing co-op with solo hero, in my opinion, couple seconds faster on upgrades won’t make significant impact. And nobody is obligated to change own build orders cause some guy posted build orders which are different.

Build orders are nice for certain achievements. For example, Tychus’ Buy Buy Buy, and Stetmann’s “get Super Gary by time index ‘x’”

Otherwise, build orders are nice to “compare notes” in what one player does for one situation vs. another.

Even then, may have Dusk Wings to handle that. Otherwise, BO helps to at least get in some units, or to build a Bunker. If you didn’t even manage that, then stall the 1st attack wave so the cool up on Dusk Wings is up

1 Like

Nobody is asking anyone to change build order.

The real question is why are you so upset that others enjoy speedruns while you enjoy casual play? OP asked about different build orders and if it matters.

The answer was give:

• Yes, if you speed run.
  • No, if you just want to complete the mission.

On a side note, I think many people are misunderstanding the nature of build orders.

They arise from people playing coop so much that they’ve figured out an/the most optimal way to reach x goal.

Nobody just starts coop and went “well if you don’t do this then everything is wrong, arrrghfh”. Some play a lot and never care to remember one despite having a solid build order anyway.

So it’s fundamentally a stupid exercise to be “upset” in any way at people who have a build order. Comparing them is nothing more than a theorycraft exercise in itself. In practice, a highly skilled player can use a less than optimal build order and less units to perform better. It is just one factor of many (like micro, macro, positioning, etc.)

2 Likes

A optimal build order may give you some advantage than a regular build order, such as 200 extra mineral and 50 gas at a specific early time, expansion finished and fully saturated 30 seconds earlier, a specific research finished 20 seconds earlier, or a few more units over the whole game.
It does not really matter for regular non-mutation, very useful for some mutation, especialy for solo run, but crucial for speed run.

I was satisfied with with speed run answer.
Now, does anyone know the Kerri 3.30 upgrade build order for speed upgrades? I can’t find it online.

It wouldn’t be anywhere specifically unless one of the YouTubers got the wind of it (and is interested) such as when Swann’s Drakken Laser focused opener (ie. as soon as it’s ready with mastery, you can research). Anyway, here it is though:

• Disclaimer I didn’t play a game to double check, just working off of my memory of playing Kerrigan. So if it doesn’t work… meh lol not my problem :stuck_out_tongue:
  1. Drone x 2 - 14 supply (blocked)
  2. 14 Gas - 14 Drone (blocked again)
  3. 14 Gas - 14 Drone (and blocked again)
  4. 14 Spawning Pool (this is roughly around 1min mark), saturate your gases as they complete.
  5. 14 Drone, supply blocked again.
  6. Pool takes 30sec to finish, at ~1:30min +/- 5sec based on map, mineral distance, etc. At 1:30min, Lair tech.
  7. 14 Overlord.
  8. Save resources because Lair takes 60sec, at 2:30min Hive Tech.
  9. 15 Drone, then 14/15 Evolution Chamber.
  10. At 3:30 Hive is complete, if you timed it correctly Evolution Chamber is also completed seconds before Hive. Research Ability Efficiency.

I believe it takes a good 2min to finish that research but this meant that you’ll have it ready to go 1.5min after Kerrigan spawns, so 5:30min.

• Immobilization Wave has 180sec of cooldown (post coolup).
  • Ability Efficiency will save 36sec after each cast, 144sec (2:24min).
  • I can’t remember if it affects coolup (may have been fixed).
  • This meant in a 15min game, Kerrigan can cast 3x Immobilization Wave compared to the standard 2x (and obviously subsequent more so as game length increases).

Does any of this really matter? Not really but it does give rise to countering certain spawned waves and timings for missions. This comes full circle to why it supports speedrun a lot. The difference of wiping entire base/waves/objectives versus spending 2-3min extra for engagement to achieve the same.

Hope this helps. The not-so-secret secret is out!

Can’t wait to use it

Not sure why do you think i’m upset. Probably its some misunderstanding. Especially when taking into consideration that our answers are basically the same.

Then my mistake. :handshake:

2 Likes

Team liquid has great guides for sc2 coop as well as the website “starcraft2coop”.
IMHO build orders are extremely important especially for new players.

Once you obtain expertise with the “optimal” way to play a commander you can more easily experiment and adjust it to your liking.

However a lot of commanders (especially ones with heroes) are extremely powerful and can do Brutal even with terrible build orders.

Build order is required for new players. Ex: making 100 supply as Swann at the start of a game does not help. Some people however can get by on common sense.