How do you feel about the idea of walking photon canons?

1111https://imgur.com/f2dNZAr Just remove the numbers at the start.

In the SC2 editor I had noticed this model for what is listed as a “Pylon Cannon”. This got me thinking. What if they actually implemented this in multiplayer as perhaps an upgrade that could be used on pylons. So here is how it might work

1. Pylon cannons are morphed from pylons.
  2. They can walk slowly.
  3. Damage is about the same as photon cannons.
  4. Requires an upgrade to start morphing these.
  5. Morph cost is about 150/50.
  6. They have about 25% less health and shields then stationary photo canons.

Do you think this would be a good addition to the roster for protoss in multiplayer?

Do these cost supply or not?

If not, I suspect this could become a problem, as it allows Protoss to amass a large and powerful army beyond the cap. That said, the expense for that army may be high enough that the problem isn’t evident unless both players turtle for quite a while.

1 Like

Good question. Since these are morphed pylons I would I think no? Since they count as a structure. However this is just theorizing how this unit or structure would work. I looked in the editor and did not see an actual already made unit or structure called a pylon canon. Just the model. So I don’t know exactly how this was supposed to function. For all I know it could have just been a decoration.

didnt you already ask about this?

A structure that moves and attacks naturally invites Crawlers, and they are mainly acceptable to move because they indirectly cost larva, thus spamming them limits your army throughput, and they have a significant root time - 4/12 editor-seconds for Spore/Spine, and are slow and bound to creep. They’re “able to be moved” as opposed to “mobile”.

A zero-supply offensive unit with neither a long preparation time before it can attack or a significant time it can’t function seems like obvious trouble, because we’ve had those: The Auto-Turret and Infested Terran abilities, as well as the Swarm Host.

Additionally, paying 250/50 for a ‘unit’ with 22.4 dps, 7 range, and 220 vitality is almost decent as an actual unit -
Void Rays are 250/150/4 with 16.8 base DPS (28 vs Armor), 6 range, 250 vitals. They fly with 3.85 speed and Prismatic bumps their anti-Armor DPS to 44.8, sure.
Cyclones are 150/100/3 and deal 28 (+14) dps with Lock On, which has 7 cast but 15 tether range, have only 120 vitals but 4.725 speed.
Hydralisks are 100/50/2 with 20.4 dps, 5 (+1) range, 90 vitals, and 3.15 (+0.98) speed.

So I’d really hesitate to suggest that it’d be a good choice with those numbers - but even the basic idea of “can move, deal damage, costs no supply” is one that I really am inherently scared of and would feel it’s better to not see.

And if it morphs from a pylon then it either gives supply or causes your max supply to go down which is weird, especially if it then costs supply. (A unit cannot cost supply and raise supply. This is the worst of things about the editor.)

1 Like

Phase cannons that can move inside powerfield was scraped from beta, the ability was given to zerg instead.

Like 3 years ago yes. And I didn’t include the picture of the pylon canon I found in the editor. I see many new faces. Figured it might be a decent amount of time since then to ask about it again.

A structure that moves and attacks naturally invites Crawlers, and they are mainly acceptable to move because they indirectly cost larva, thus spamming them limits your army throughput, and they have a significant root time - 4/12 editor-seconds for Spore/Spine, and are slow and bound to creep. They’re “able to be moved” as opposed to “mobile”.

Perhaps this one is slow outside of power fields and has to be rooted and uprooted.

Additionally, paying 250/50 for a ‘unit’ with 22.4 dps, 7 range, and 220 vitality is almost decent as an actual unit -
Void Rays are 250/150/4 with 16.8 base DPS (28 vs Armor), 6 range, 250 vitals. They fly with 3.85 speed and Prismatic bumps their anti-Armor DPS to 44.8, sure.
Cyclones are 150/100/3 and deal 28 (+14) dps with Lock On, which has 7 cast but 15 tether range, have only 120 vitals but 4.725 speed.
Hydralisks are 100/50/2 with 20.4 dps, 5 (+1) range, 90 vitals, and 3.15 (+0.98) speed.

When you put the numbers together like that I definitely see your point. Another idea also would be that these can only attack while rooted in a pylon field.

Phase cannons that can move inside powerfield was scraped from beta, the ability was given to zerg instead.

Interesting. So this was the original model for the old photon cannon?

Nope. Phase Cannons looked just like Photon Cannons do now.

That’s just a dragoon

It looks like a photon cannon mixed with a pylon and colossus. Are you sure this is meant to be a dragoon?

Take a look at the image next time instead of embarrassing yourself. The image is literally a Pylon with Colossus-like legs and the floating “cannon” of a Photon Cannon hovering above it.

I did. And its listed as “pylon canon” in the editor. I don’t see why I should find this embarrassing.

I don’t actually recall adding a quote of you to that link. Not sure what happened there. It was supposed to just be a reply to Shadowling.

Oh my mistake. Thought it was directed at me.

Maybe the “Pylon Cannon” was something they were testing alongside the “Phase Cannon”?

1 Like

Interesting. I feel like that would have made canons rushes cripplingly op. Depending on if it required an upgrade not.

It’s simply adding dragoon with detection ability. I feel it would be nice unit for army core with high dps and decent resiliance.

1 Like