How do I beat Void Ray Colossi with Terran?

I am a new Starcraft 2 player. I went through the campaign in hard difficulty as I have some experience in playing the game with Brood War. As I have noticed as Terran, I struggle against playing against Void Ray Colossi. I tried Vikings which kinda helped, but I was overrun in the end due to sheer numbers and lack of skill on my team and I. What do you guys suggest?

1 Like

Vikings, obviously. Vikings crush both Void Rays and Colossi. Something like eight Vikings one-shot a Colossus.

The reason you might be having trouble is, as you said, you lack skill (no insult intended, just understand that the game takes a lot of time to understand).

If the game goes late, Battlecruiser is a good response to Protoss air as well, as long as you have Yamato Cannon. Battlecruiser used to one-shot Void Rays but not anymore, so you need something to supplement the Yamato. Widow Mine is a good way to sort of prevent mass Void Ray from tailing your Vikings, which should be kiting the Void Rays while you engage.

Liberators are great if the Protoss keeps clumping is Void Rays.

4 Likes

Thanks for the response, I’m still learning all the units and their functions. Between learning the game and deciding what race to use, I’ve been doing some unranked games. Was able to close a 1 vs 3 after my teammates decided to bail on me from the least of resistances. I do like the resource pooling that Starcraft 2 has. It was bad when a teammate bailed in Brood War, but being able to collect resources all as one and forming three times to army potential allowed me to swing back and win.

Vikings are going to murder both those units. My guess is you didn’t have a good enough economy/not being on top of your macro cycles.

Look at in previous depth episode, try raven push with 2 tanks mines and stim, combat shields and 4 mines. You can intereference their collosi, but it is tough to tell. Especially if the go expand at 4min. If you get into macro game somehow, you can go oldschool 2 port and make a lot of marauders and ghosts, because they will have a lot of stalkers to kill vikings. Make sure you get +1 air attack and focus fire collosi, but don’t send vikings to far foward first poke with bio and than fall back collosi runs slower than bio, or try to abuse air space or if you by any chance flank him and he has no stalker there. yOu have to pull ridiculous games as terran to win. Or you can try liberator marine medivac drop, when you siege in his base, but if you cannot keep map control defending with liberators is living hell and stalkers kill them veryfast…

1 Like

Turrets. Turrets. Turrets. Like build them under them suckers and BAM! Problem solved. You could also employ the Terminators(Thors)

1 Like

Hit voids with aa missile and interfernece matrix with a squad of 6-8 ravens.

Then chain yamato into them. Teleport damaged bc’s back to your base as his rays tries to focus them.

GG

1 Like

It takes 14 Vikings to one shot a Colossus. This is from the team liquid wiki. Hope this helps!

When that happens I start pumping out widow mines, Vikings and BCs. The widow mines can absolutely shred the void rays since most people clump them together etc etc, and the Vikings are for the colossi and i also make 6-8 ravens for the anti armor missiles

thors (single target mode; need factory with techlab and an armory), liberators (ranged ballistics or whatever the blue ranged upgrade is called for which you need a starport with techlab and a fusion core), widow mines (drilling claws; need techlab at factory and an armory), marauders.

If you are a new player, you could just go stimmed marauders, thors and widow mines with drilling claws (stim & a-move marauders together with the thors, then grabb the 20-30 widow mines and burrow them under the protoss army.

You don’t need to pull rediculous games off as a terran to win, just thought I’d note, hopefully you’ll believe me as I have a little experience in 1v1 (Masters 2) but that’s probably not going to influence anything, I talked to the professional Future when he coached me not too long ago, and he said "Protoss is a little bit stronger right now in GM, but at your level (Masters) it comes down more to your mechanics."
Anyhow, have nice day my dude!
Cheerio!

1 Like

siege tanks + marines too easy

Have you tried upgrading the Vikings armor and weapon? If you dont Tech up that might be the losing factor to your games.

1 Like

As previously commented on, mass vikings would destroy this P composition.

It’s important to learn the strengths and weaknesses of all the units, and what they are strong and weak against. When learning, players will often default to one preferred unit composition, but you have to learn how and when to use all of the units, as they are all there for a reason. One of the great things about Starcraft is that there is no single strategy that always works regardless of what your opponent does & their unit composition. You have to adapt what you’re doing to what they are doing.

Use liquipedia. It has excellent information. The way you learn the units is, if you’re losing to colossi and void ray, look up those units on liquipedia - they explain what they are strong and weak against. You’ll then know what units you need to counter that build. After you iterate this a few times on units you’re losing to, you’ll quickly learn all the units and what you need to build.

Cheers,

I think that only works in gold/plat but it might also be the solution with least amount of micro needed.

Vikings are paper plans.

And cyclones are plastic cars.

Just build mass thors, a couple of widow mines and get some starports for vikings. Voidray/collossi will evaporate vs. thors because…

• the protoss units have less range
  • are WAY squishier than thors
  • you can scan where they are.

Get good upgrades in general (double armory)
So prepare for…

• chargelots (widow mines, hellbats with blue-flame, a few vikings vs. a prism)
  • mass stalkers… LOL
  • immortal/tempest/disruptor + a bit of chargelot/archon --> This is the only way to beat mass thors / terran mech as protoss afaik. So liberators with range and some tanks will help you nicely as well as vikings (air control, vision for tanks).

Edit: Widow mines in case the protoss wants to sneak in some (speed) voidrays into the back of your base (you’ll also want good vision around your bases for better reaction time).