Hot Take: P1 Dehaka > Vanilla Dehaka

OK I don’t actually know how hot this is, but I know there was a thread bashing all of Dehaka’s prestige levels. So I’m here to say that Devouring One is really really good…better than vanilla good.

No it doesn’t scratch the Godzilla itch. Dehaka himself is obviously weaker.

But it return, his army gets far, far stronger. A large army with a 30% attack speed buff kills A LOT of stuff. Devouring an armored or biological unit gives incredible longevity. But the real big boi is, of course, eating psionic units. Screens of units literally evaporate. Scorching breath is an absolute joke compared to this. I really thought I was going to miss the AoE of his scorching breath, but not once did I even think about it once I started playing.

A level 15 Dehaka-zilla is fun. But devouring Dehaka is where the real power is.

4 Likes

Quick fix for you :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The buff affects all nearby allied units so your partner’s army is also way the heck stronger if you’re fighting something together.

I don’t think eating psionic units causes an explosion for units. They just get ability cooldown reduction.

I mean…SOMETHING new is happening because when devour is used when dehaka is alone, it looks just like it used to. When it’s used when there’s an army around him, the game lags, the explosion visual is stacked a ton of times, and most importantly, enemy units just disappear.

It’s not really a hot take. I did say in that thread that it had more dps than vanilla Dehaka, but it’s just that none of Dehaka’s prestiges do anything to change Dehaka’s utility issue (the lack of it), which cause him to be runner up to Zeratul, Abathur, Vorazun, and probably even Raynor and Karax when it comes to mutation versatility.

Of course If you just want to bash Amon’s face in, any of his prestiges work great and each provide a slightly different flavor of that. P1 probably has the highest DPS output of them all, so I guess in that respect you could rank it as Dehaka’s best, despite the fact that Dehaka himself has paper armor with that prestige.

My disappointment in Dehaka’s prestiges was that they didn’t do anything to make Dehaka more versatile. He’s still just an Amon army and base basher (and is very good at it) regardless of the prestige you pick. At least it’s a good thing that most situations in coop need just that.

He only loses 1 armor. It’s barely noticeable. He still gets the +3 armor talent as he levels up, which is the bulk of his armor. And his hit points continue to rise as normal as he collects essence.

But yeah, all that is fair. Vanilla and all of his prestiges are varieties of “wanna see how hard I can punch?” It would’ve been nice to get a versatility option in at least one build.

On the subject of balance though…I’m more in the camp that most commanders are perfectly fine, and Zeratul and Tychus are the broken ones. Strengths and weaknesses are good. But developers kind of forgot to do the “weakness” part when it came to those two.

2 Likes

They do need to fix the buff application process. The game lag to a halt when too many units (both you and ally) get buffed are once.

And on this topic, I absolutely agree. Nobody needs a level 15 Dehaka (beyond level 10) it’s just extra gravy. And nobody needs the standard strength of Dehaka either (which is why my analysis of Duohaka so far is that it is actually better, but with that micro-caveat).

The army is incredibly resilient and far easier to play. Standard Dehaka you really do have to micro a bit more during army engagement to minimize loss. This P1 you can just devour an armoured unit type and go to town (or any other buffs really).

1 Like