Help with Sentries

My use of the Sentry is abysmal. Looking for widespread tips.

Diamond player getting by on great macro and micro but minimal ability to make use of disruptors and sentries (for my mmr range anyway)

Tips from anyone and everyone entirely welcome.

custom --> arcade (Knalle Micro Map and Pimp My Micro only on the EU server)

for sentries:

• Darglein’s Micro Trainer (old but definitly worth it for the basics)
    –> Try out the other challenges, too
  • Knalle Micro Map (worth a try)
  • Pimp My Micro (worth a try)
  • Minute Micro (up to date and best one)
  • Unit Tester LOTV online (to practice hotkeys and more complicated scenarios or simple ones)

for disruptors:

• Unit Tester LOTV online (latest version)
1 Like

I appreciate that! Thanks!
To be a little more specific though, I can control everything perfectly fine, I’m more looking for tips regarding placements, quirky tricks for specific situations, and other things of that general vibe

Ya don’t get to diamond without knowing the buttons and how to manage multiple spellcasters, but you don’t get through D to M without understand the whys and the quirks

Honestly just play the game and post replays.
For me it was infestors and vipers for the last 1-2 months and now still.

It’s not just about the casters but also about the gas timing and other macro stuff (upgrades, more production buildings, …)

I’d say a zerg on your level or above is best qualified to give you examples of good caster usage for PvZ so you should find some zergs and terrans because PvP is more like just play the game and see what’s good.

1. The good old force field the ramp multiple times while you have chargelots in the main base of the zerg (time it with ravager biles and maybe 2 immos near the ramp, too, if a roach or a ravager made it through).

2. To drive off a roach/ravager army, you can use force-fields + disruptors + something like immo/stalker or chargelots (high ground vision is really important)

3. There was a protoss player who used disruptors while denying high ground vision so he fired the disruptor shot and microed the energy ball back to the top of the ramp and when the other guy moved up the ramp, he was trapped.
    (kinda like a big baneling with timed life waiting at the top of the ramp)

1. _https://youtu.be/GBEQO8FIwpo?list=PLFeZeom2b4Dm_PXPREvPRAJVa6dijv0FF&t=6901
    tempest/disruptor micro vs. mech terran

Edit: Did that hit the mark better?

Edit2:

List of Protoss threads (GER and ENG):

_https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pIh9CnCPUhARrtib-RwQSmUD3amuZKLrXv4hr2iW-Ks/edit
Some keywords for to search the document (with “ctrl + f”)
–> “Sprache: Englisch” = “Language: English”
–> “Liga: Diamant+” = “League: Diamond+”

Yeah actually that’s awesome, thanks again :slight_smile: Loads of helpful information ~

1 Like

Sentry play is not good for maps where you always have to go up a ramp (simulacrum for example the first 3 bases are all ramped. Evergreen only the main is ramped). The enemy can sit on top of the ramps and sentry’s really can’t do anything to help with that.

Sentry play is useful for cutting Zerg armies in half. Fire of the forcefields and cut the army. Then move your army back so they are out of range of units blocked behind by the field and then attack move forward to kill the units infront of the fields . This let’s you maximize damage and minimize losses.

If you know you’re gonna use sentries let them build up energy by building them early.

Also if you are attacking a base and there is no enemy there wait till they show up and then wall off the direction they are coming so you can kill the base for free. You can also do the same if the base is connected by a single narrow ramp. Hope that helps.

Finally don’t forget guardian shield if you are attacking and suddenly a bunch mutas or hydras attack.