Guess we’re not getting our bi-annual blue post

Blizzard has been using Twitter for a lot of teases and reveals, that is true.
Although I’m not sure I should require to follow someone’s personal account on a third party social media platform to get information about a game company’s product when this very company owns its own communication platform.

But thing is, Blizzard does use Twitter a lot, I sometimes check HOTS twitter for some hot stuff. But HOTS is a game with actual constant updates, ironically. There is stuff to expect there.

1 Like

I mean, you didn’t exactly expect him to “not excitedly” talk about it right?

Between “nothing to show for coop” versus “well, I’m excited to discuss about this new release of map editor”… I’m pretty sure someone in his position is going to do exactly that. So I’d say that’s more status quo…

I’m not so sure that’s got anything to do with expanding information sources, as much as “there’s just nothing about coop” as everyone’s plainly typed out.

Well updating co-op editor indicates that Monk still haven’t abandoned it (depends on your view) but still, it would be nice for him to fix immediate mutation bugs/problems like

• deadliness of Fatal Attractions and its synergies (mineral barriers/structural overcharge)
  • nuke mutation dropping around safe areas
  • orbital bombardment and Mag mines harming the temple.
  • apply Attack speed bonus for summoned units

These problems above are easy to solve, you just have to tweak the validators, include/exclude them in the “apply” section etc.
Hopefully he could solve this in near future but this can all be solved under 2 hours or even less with his skills and experience.

I still haven’t got the patch myself but apparently some did.
But there was a huge list of increase in overall capability in Editor as well as facilitating some features that is difficult to implement.

1 Like

What are these changes to the editor? I haven’t seen them. Are they big?

AFAIK, Twitter has a faar larger audience than these forums. If they want to make the biggest splash, it’d make sense for them to put stuff on there.

:skull: :arrow_left: That’s us staying tuned for six months without so much as a teaser.

I get that there have been big updates to the editor. Great.

Maybe they’re a bit gunshy about making announcements after D:I, and they did fire all their social media/pr people after making record profits last FY. So maybe that’s it.

I LITERALLY just said that “The best it does is give devs some more tools to play around with for making Co-op maps.”

I don’t understand at all why some people are even defending the developers at this particular moment.

Nobody is straight up being mean or hating on the devs, just stating that it’s being far too quiet for too long (when it comes to coop).

The latest map editor update seems like an exit strategy (if anything) to me, as it gives modders/makers more tools and control over what can be possible. And this wouldn’t be the focus unless Bliz as a whole wants people to focus more on Custom/Arcade maps. And don’t get me wrong, it’s great! Some of these maps are honestly fantastic.

Meanwhile, the glaringly blatant facts are:

• It’s been half a year since anything coop.
  • Coop communication has been next to nil (even a year ago).
  • Problems that (so so so many players) have posted regarding commander balance have persistent throughout… even during the balance patch after patch.
  • No news or teasers despite the anniversary hypes.

I mean it shouldn’t take this much evidence for even an idiot to see that coop is largely not loved. If the whole point is to get super technical, then by all means go hard. Yet meanwhile, everyone (like these hard-line defenders) are still just waiting on the promise that never was.

But hey, y’all technically right, good for you. :+1:

3 Likes

I’m 99% positive after the editor changes leave the PTR there will be a coop map contest announcement.

Also, in case people are unaware, the editor changes ARE HUGE. Back when SC2 first launched there were massive complaints about the SC2 editor feeling extremely weak in comparison to the WC3 editor. It’s one of the reasons WC3 is way more known for it’s custom maps than SC2 is, and why WC3 has such a more diverse collection of custom maps (except not anymore thanks to what Reforged did to them lolol). I can’t say if the update will mean anything for co-op, but hopefully it does.

I wish more people were excited about it, though I’ve definitely had this “it’s coming too late” feeling about it. I’m grateful for it though, because I feel like Blizzard has been failing in the user generated content department ever since WC3 in 2002. Seeing Overwatch get a form of editor along with this insanely massive SC2 editor update (I literally read the entire thing) bodes well IMO. Now if we can just get something for Diablo.

1 Like

Personally, I’m trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, but it’s been so long. I’m sure that any single one of us, if we were the head of the Co-op team, we’d make it a guarantee that we’d have open lines of communication with the players.
The ONLY time that “going dark” worked for a dev team was No Man’s Sky. They went dark for so long and came back swinging with a vengeance. Other dev teams are normally fairly open with what they’re doing. (See: DotA 2’s dev team, Tripwire Interactive, Re-Logic, etc.) Most even take user feedback into consideration, and have PTRs for proper testing.
Co-op’s dev team… Has been slacking to say the least.

I’m glad some are seeing this the way I do :slight_smile:

Beta version of Facing Worlds in SC2 ?! :mind blown:

People like to dive into more nefarious or conspicuous theories, and it is because it’s far more exciting than “oh they done?”

The current situation bolds poor for even the largest of companies, let alone any that’s more money driven (even in the slightest). One way or another people will be affected and resources therefore will be diminished as a result.

So to expect a mysterious surprise to just show up is honestly wishful thinking at best. People seem to mistake that being realistic is somehow overly cynical or critical. It is what it is, which is just reality.

To me, there’s a difference between “the glass is half full” versus “maybe the milk will fill itself in an empty glass”. Anyway, hope I’m wrong despite all of my speculation. And that’s all that is - speculation - not mistaking that either lol :stuck_out_tongue:

Old :clap: News :clap: Too :clap: Old :clap: To :clap: Care
Been through this for years, many here have been too, ever since Tychus its been like this. I have complained myself multiple times asking them to “Just talk”. I don’t care if you have content to show, just talk.

They don’t care, they only talk when they want, and only listen to what they want. Dozens of Karax threads to do the one thing basically no one asked for. Bugs that lasted multiple patches for no reason, forget what makes sense, if it happens it happens, this is bizarro land baby.

Keep complaining though, I don’t disagree with you, its just pointless, really.
SC2 isn’t less dead than it was before, they have as much of a reason to care now as they did then.

We have a week till the 10th Anniversary and China Joy 2020 update in 29th (They are running it despite the pandemic).
On a plus side these major events aren’t far away. Don’t get too hopeful but hold on to it a little longer.

1 Like

The silence has been going on a lot longer than Tychus. Back in my day…

Long story short, they’ve been getting called out for lack of communication for years. Usually they liked to spite me as I’d be the one making a post to call them out on it and a day later they’d post a new commander or map. It was a whole thing.

Anyway, sadly SC2 Coop team don’t seem to actually care (or possibly don’t even exist now) about the community aspect. Unless they feel like spiting me again since I just posted for the first time in I don’t know how long.

1 Like

I noticed your Avatar isn’t appearing either. I wonder what is causing the problem.

When will they allow custom maps in Co-Op?

I noticed that, bit irritating. Avatars have always been a hit and a miss on this or the old forum though and they never bothered.

Normally I’m the last one to go and start white knighting for developers, but seriously, SC2 is not an MMORPG and you aren’t paying a monthly subscription. Why do you take regular content updates for granted?
RTS games usually get an expansion or two at best, and then some new maps that the community makes, but that’s all.