Gsl finals summary

What a performance from trap!

First game: throws away 11 adepts for 2 drones and a handful of lings, loses 1 sentry in failed move out, another 2 adepts for free. Trap 50 supply down by 8 minutes, casters: “trap won the early game” hahaha
Some good forcefields and army control but once your fourth gets cancelled + you have no pressure on the zerg’s + you’re already 50 supply down it’s game over. Honestly don’t know why he didn’t go for immortal disruptor stalker sentry colossus ht max out instead of transition to carriers since he seemed pretty comfortable with that comp in previous season. I think this was the first sign of his tunnel visioning into ending the game with carriers timing. Even with all this he still had a decent shot if he didn’t screw up the ht positioning to give away 3 carriers to abduct and forget storm till 15 minutes.

Second game: An actual good early game, opens 2 oracle gets 6 drones, scouts the queen walk early and counters with dark shrine, good follow up harass, first push would’ve broken dark if the last warp-in was chargelots instead of blinkstalkers, or if he just doesn’t blink forward. Good ravager control from dark, but the game’s been over since his failed queen walk, trap just playing really scared and waiting for carriers.

Third game: Dt opening puts trap behind since dark blinded spores, lost way too much to the mutas which unfortunately is inevitable when it’s unscouted. Good moveout, takes some good trades with ff’s and kiting, but he should’ve pressed on instead of pulling back, there’s no way he can recover economically from losing 29 probes to 11 mutas. Was very close to breaking dark, I think 1-2 more colossus and better blink micro might have done it, not sure why he spamming immortal vs ravager ling bane, ht or more colossus would have been better.

Fourth game: Good hold vs ling bane hydra all-in, not sure why dark being aggressive without bane speed. Think trap should just all-in at this point with 10 archons and mass chargelots with 2 warp prism. Trap moves out with 4 ht in prism and casts good storms, but he lost the prism and really needed it for the faster reinforcements to break dark. Instead he loses most of his tech units, and for some reason that included 2 immortals vs ling bane hydra. Even still the game is neck and neck, good hold and counter harass by trap but it turns in dark’s favour when trap left the upper right side with his prism because he thought the fifth was on the other side of the map and then lost that full prism for free. Moves out to middle of the map, no ground protection for ht causes him to storm his own carriers, hydras boost through speed zones to focus fire carriers and it’s game over.

Fifth game: Misses nydus building beside his main mineral line. 1 void there and this game is won for trap. Sorry but it’s simply unacceptable for a gsl finalist to miss a nydus building in plain sight beside your mineral line.

In summary very underwhelming performance from trap, not what I expected from the best protoss in the world, he only looked marginally better than parting and the one game he opens 2 sg void he misses the nydus in his main, sad.

Can’t believe I stayed up till 8 am to watch soo’s spirit possess trap and force him to choke another finals.

3 Likes

The fact that he even made it to the finals with this quality of play really speaks to how overpowered Protoss is. The one game he won he did so off the back of DTs saving him from an allin (building a DT shrine and some batteries then warping in DTs was the grand effort he exerted to defend the allin) and then culminated in an amazing carrier a-move. Even so he almost threw that game with an offensive blink maneuver like he did several of the other games.

3 Likes

I couldn’t watch after the first game. He got played like a fiddle from start to finish. He threw so many units for free. He built tech and didn’t capitalize on it. He never had the tempo in his favor. We can just forget balance for a second here. He threw away so many adepts and splash units for nothing. He moved himself out of position multiple times for nothing. He was never decisive even when he had a sweet opportunity to even things out at the end.

I hate to admit it because a lot of these anti-Protoss guys around here call it out, but I see it too. Too many Protoss players a-move (or don’t move) their splash units into death. Not just in this particular game, I see it happen too many times in general…

2 Likes

Meh dont move your splash let enemy move to you instead bad trade from oponent lead to free a move on