GSL Finals: Debunking bad balance arguments

We’ve all heard it a millions times at this point:

OMG OMG TRAP LOST IT MEANS PROTOSS ISN'T OP!

vs

OMG OMG HOW DID TRAP EVEN MAKE IT TO THE FINALS! PROTOSS IS OP!

With the dueling narratives of statistically inept dullards squawking across social media I thought I’d do a debunking of a common misconception: small samples of games are not statistically significant enough to support either conclusion.

We can calculate this quite simply. There are a lot of factors that can affect the outcome of a match ranging from skill to luck to how the players are feeling on that particular day. Any given match can have any possible combination of these factors, but we REALLY want to measure balance so how do we prove a match was caused by balance, and not these other factors? It’s very simple: for a sample of games, there must be a low probability that the outcome could occur if we assume the game is balanced. This is called the “statistical significance” and it is usually set to 1%. If there is a <=1% chance that this could occur given a balanced-game assumption, then that assumption is false.

To calculate this we use a binomial probability calculator:
https://stattrek.com/online-calculator/binomial.aspx

We punch in 0.5 for the expected result, meaning each player should win 50% of games (this is our balanced game assumption). We punch in 5 games since Dark vs Trap was 4-1 which is 5 games. We punch in 4 successes for the 4 games that Dark won. Then we click “calculate”:

https://i.imgur.com/Wv2PMz3.png

We now look at the “Cumulative probability: P(X >= x)” result, which tells us what the odds are that at least this severe of a result could occur. Those odds are: 18.75%. So this outcome could occur and is quite likely to occur under a balanced-game scenario, and is nowhere near our 1% statistical threshold, so we can definitively say the results are meaningless.

Just for argument’s sake, what would happen if we bumped it up to 100 games, but kept the win-rate the same? The odds go down to 0.0001%, which is well below our statistical threshold. Hopefully we can now appreciate the importance of sample size: to get a high statistical significance, you need a large sample.

Well I happen to have a large sample that uses far more sophisticated analysis techniques. The algorithm measures players’ performance in symmetrical matchups as a baseline for their skill, since symmetrical matchups are not affected by balance and correlate highly with the true skill level of a player. This can be used to measure trends for all players of a race. Cumulatively this represents all pro games recorded, aka tens of thousands of games, and the statistical significance is exceedingly high:

https://i.imgur.com/q5uzclg.png

The slopes of the lines are what matters. They measure how race does in a matchup relative to their symmetrical matchup performance:

TvP: 0.883
TvZ: 0.905
PvT: 0.907
PvZ: 0.902
ZvP: 0.887
ZvT: 0.888

As you can see, Protoss do amazing in both PvZ and PvT, netting 2.4% better performance than Terran in PvT, and 1.5% better than Zerg in PvZ. Interestingly, Terran does 1.7% better than Zerg in ZvT. It’s important to note that these are % of elo rankings, so it means the imbalance scales with skill. What is the total expected win-rate? Well we have to integrate the elo win-rate function for all skill levels:

https://i.imgur.com/rBIpKvq.png

The integral of this (assuming all skill levels play the same number of games) for PvZ is: 54.5%.

We can verify this over on Aligulac, which shows Protoss have a 51.69% win-rate (meaning the lower skill spectrum is playing more games):
http://aligulac.com/misc/balance/

Conclusion:

1. A proper statistical analysis is complicated and difficult to do.
  2. Balance heavily favors Protoss in both matchups.
  3. The GSL Code S finals don’t matter for balance.
2 Likes

Here’s my translation of all this

This first half means absolutely nothing

This section means very little. I think I’ve seen this in some past post, the methodology is unclear, the data set is obscure, and how the model works looks like nonsense put together. It also has absolutely nothing to do with what’s going on in the first half.

The real conclusion is that even if we drop all biases about how we feel about the state of balance in the game, this is a very poorly written “paper.” The fact that you tried to string two unrelated things together and act like you tried to form some sort of legitimate conclusion made me burst out laughing and made me quiet down real quick because I know you’re actually serious about this.

8 Likes

“Statistical proof” = “means nothing”. I stopped reading there. Math denial is not a valid argument.

2 Likes

That is rich coming from this clown in light of his debate (where he was obliterated) with Mercurial where this clown tried to riot against 1000 Year of mathematics.
This imbecile reduces mathematics to…computer science.

5 Likes

I’m not even going to speak to you if you can’t realize that extending your binomial calculation from 5 games to 100 means absolutely nothing, and that it has nothing to do with the second half of what you said. Not denying math, not denying statistical proof just yet. You are just an incoherent human being. If you can’t string your thoughts together nicely, don’t bother sharing them. Do you understand what I am saying or are you going to twist my words again?

6 Likes

OK so you can’t understand simple statistics. Blocked.

:man_facepalming: :man_facepalming: :man_facepalming:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
:zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

4 Likes

He’s not listening to me. And when he realizes something is wrong, he gets angry and reacts emotionally.

And then when I give him what he wants he gets angry…

Case and point once again… It’s a paradox where he HAS to be trolling, but at the same time, we know he’s not trolling.

5 Likes

what kind of “Statistical proof” have you provided other than the long a-s-s essay ?

1 Like

Admitting you lack the attention span to hold ideas in your memory between paragraphs isn’t the best way to defend your position.

1 Like

again, you still haven’t provided ANY “Statistical proof" other than your horse sh-it

1 Like

You know how in Ace Attorney if you present the wrong evidence for a prompt, and your character cant explain how its connected but sometimes they insist that it is?

Thats batz. Every day. All the time.

4 Likes

Blocked. 12345678901

Your inability to understand simple statistics != their validity. Do not blame your failures on others.

If nobody can understand your “simple” statistics and thinks theyre wrong, then a normal person would conclude that they were wrong. It takes a really egotistical and broken mind to literally be incapable of understanding the possibility that they dont know everything.

1 Like

Dude batz has a degree in university in statistics and you argue against him ? He simplified it well, I have trouble grasping what you don’t understand… what he did is simple math and association.

I have a degree in math/related fields too. Your point…? “He” is not even correct with the first half of what he’s saying.

2 Likes

Batman, Batz, Rasputin,… are just part of the same troll-account: both make an awful lot of posts containing nonsense/trolling, both are anti toss, both have hidden profile , both have the same profile picture, both have the same writing style, both don’t understand statistics and pull numbers out of thin air ,…

The part that he needs his alter ego to get to you already says enough :wink: .

3 Likes

That’s easy to test. What does max(Xi) converge on as n->inf for given X ~ U(0, 3)? What does x-bar converge on as n->inf for N(0, 3)?

If what you say is true, why do you not agree with him ? Mathematics is an exact science. There is no in between interpretations.

1 Like