Good macro builds for every MU?

I haven’t played zerg seriously in so long I need something simple and reliable to work off of and get my 1337 skills back yo

16 pool/gas/hatch into either ling bane or roach ravager. Ling bane is a bit more fragile until you get hydras or mutas out,(Hydras are more reliable) but it scales into late game much better with the upgrades than roaches do
Take a third at 3 minutes and another expo every 3 minutes after that. Make queens with extra minerals up to 8 or so

Vibelol Bronze to GM on youtube (new series coming in December)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFeZeom2b4Dn6b2HrfPjAeAFI5lDWOnzj

Post some replays if you need more specific help.

1 Like

16 gas/pool/hatch into either ling bane or roach ravager. Ling bane can work wonders,
because you have burrow at tier1!

Roach ravager can also be OP as your sister against turtle styles.

in what order should i be dumping my gas early game? I imagine speed first, dumping most of my minerals into drones, but what about my next 100 gas? lair, then b-nest or something? When should i get my upgrades too

Sorry, I haven’t been on the forums for a minute.

So to be specific on the builds,
16-hatch
17-gas
17-pool (put 3 drones on gas until 100 for speed, longer if you also want ovie speed
18-ovie
4 lings and 2 queens, you’ll be about 2:20 here. At this point I start changing the build depending on what race I’m fighting against. My ZvP and ZvT are pretty similar:

Keep droning until 30-32 supply and take 3rd, about 3 minutes in, and take your next tech (bane nest or roach warren). I prefer baneling nest myself, but that’s a play style choice for teching into ling/bane/hydra. You also put your drones back on gas here.

3:45-4:00 make a round of lings (8 pairs)

Once you have your 3rd base saturated (60-ish drones), take lair, 2 evo chambers, and either up to 4 gases for roach ravager or 6 gases for ling bane hydra.

Get upgrades as you can afford them, attack upgrades take precedence over armor, melee over range for anything with ling bane. Also get whatever speed/range upgrades are relevant for your composition. Turns out all Zerg core units suck without their speed upgrades.

Make enough drones to fill the gases and make some army in preparation for a timing attack if one hasn’t come already. Once you hold that, take a 4th and go up to 75-80 drones. From here you can tech into hive, mass units and push with upgrades for timing.

ZvZ:
Make a baneling nest 1 space from the natural hatchery for a queen to hide in against ling runbys. You will preferably want to pressure your opponent with ling bane while you squeeze a few drones out and tech into roaches. ling bane wars can be very intense, and if something goes wrong, you want it to happen on his side of the map, giving you time to prepare a few seconds before he arrives.

Most of the same points apply as in the other 2 MU’s, but you will want to make evos when or right after you start your roach warren, then also all 3 remaining gases. Preferably wait to take the 3rd until you have roaches hatching. Start lair and 1+/1+ after 3rd starts. Roach speed when lair finishes. You can push with a few ravagers and the roaches once 1+/1+ and speed finish if you want.

Eke out a hydra den and a lurker den as you can afford. Ideally you want to take a 4th base to fund the tech. Not having it means you will have fewer lurkers and maybe no 2+/2+ for a big push when the lurkers morph in. Most games will end in the ling/bane war, roach/ravager pushes, or the big lurker timing.

ZvZ is a bit more tense I feel as you both are using the same units, so exact numbers and upgrades are more noticeable than other mu’s. That being said, economic growth is a bit slower because having a few extra units can make a big difference in fights.

Can’t say I’m more specific than that in game, as each opponent plays differently in-game, and I constantly adjust the build and times according to what I’m facing. People let me macro, I get maxed at 10-11 minutes, sometimes their aggressive and I barely have lair tech at 9 minutes, but always the same idea if I want to play macro.