Getting matched vs Platinum and diamond players

Hello everyone. My first genuine post here.

I have started to played ranked games and they have been terrible so far. For my placement matches, I was only matched vs diamond players and all the subsequent games (after being placed in silver 1) I am matched against platinum players. At my best, I am a gold player, why am I playing vs all these high ranked people?

It is very frustrating trying to play and and knowing you are gonna lose at the end of it.

Is there any specific reason as to why I am not being matched with others from my league group? I am getting to the point where I am now 0 wins and 9 losses because I am constantly getting matched with people who are 2 leagues ahead of me. Please help

Thanks in advance

1 Like

Hello Killer,

Welcome to the ranked games! Glad you are trying this out.

It is pretty normal to play against platinum and diamond players at first if you have never played ranked before (new account) because the system tries to put you into the right place asap.
This means 2 things:

• You are matched against platinum / diamond at first, if you win a lot.
  • You will get a league but also an mmr and the mmr is the meaningful part.
    –> “provisional mmr”: Your mmr will go up and down very fast at first because the system is “unsure” of your skill (mmr).
    You will get normal mmr which doesn’t change as much after you’ve played like 15-20 games, I believe, and after about 40-50 ranked games, your opponents will be very, very similar to your skill level.
    –> Other players may have a platinum, gold or diamond border but all of them could be of similar skill as you don’t get demoted (leagues) and because of that promotions also take time. After your game ends, there will be a victory/loss screen with information about both player’s mmr and mmr change.

TL;DR: Only care about mmr and not so much about borders. Especially in diamond, the difference in skill level is huge (even more so in GM).
Just play more and feel free to post replays (via links to your uploaded replay on drop.sc if you want feedback / help.

Cheers,
Shuu

2 Likes

Your explanation is false, Blizzard match making has been screwy for a long time. Now there’s a bug just this season placing people no matter what their mmr in bronze for 1v1s. Maybe it was closer to what you explained before, but now theres “bronze” players who are diamond and platinum fighting other people who are ACTUALLY bronze / silver now… its a COMPLETE cluster f**k. I tried playing unranked thinking it would be better and nope WORSE… ONLY diamond and up…
I try to play this game for fun… key word try. I’m not aiming to go pro or get to GM… I know I’m not that good and its too stressful. That’s why this is so frustrating now more than ever. I can’t tell if I’m playing another casual / noob or some try hard sweaty nerd with 300 apm that is just going to waste my time because I stand NO chance at all vs them and I woulda just quit out at the start if I knew it…

2 Likes

Get the shrek outta here with you b@llsh@t sh@tposting–necroposting!

2 Likes