Game crash or kernel panic during Co-op

Playing on a iMac (27-inch, 2019), Vega 48 8GB, macOS 10.15.7. Ever since maybe 10.15.5, the game will either freeze for about 15-30 seconds then resume, or recently, the computer completely restarts with a kernel panic. I only play Co-op, so I haven’t tested other modes. Usually it seems to coincide with an NPC talking, like Corporal Faraday. So far I have been able to avoid it either by playing with Metal at low graphics settings, or on OpenGL at Medium with 2D portraits turned on.

I see that Vega 48 isn’t in the supported list. Is this related to this issue? The game had been working fine, but whether it was a macOS or SC2 update, SC2 started freezing/crashing. Thanks for any help on this.

I have been having a similar issue. It has been around since Catalina release.

Same GPU (vega 48). With OpenGL it works fine even with the highest settings (no crashes or freezes). I’m playing on 2560x1440 with Vsync on. Also use fan control software to keep GPU cool.

As for Metal, I tried adding Battle.net App to have a full disk access, and the game seems to be OK now. That said, I haven’t been playing a lot (literally 1 or 2 coop missions in a row). The crashes used to happen to me when I would play roughly more than 30mins or so. But the long-ish (5 sec approx) freezes are gone either way.

I’m on 10.15.7

Update on this, I updated to Big Sur and now I can play with Metal on High and no hangs.

Sounds good. Will try.

Unfortunately, just had another crash with Metal on High. Was good for a few days. Playing Co-Op weekly mutation on Brutal.