FSR support added (Speed hack)

“AMD [Fidelity FX Super Resolution] (FSR) is a type of rendering technique that looks to boost framerates in games and enable quality high-resolution gaming. It’s also a rival to Nvidia’s [DLSS], though the two differ quite a bit in how they function. FSR works by rendering frames at a lower resolution and then using an open-source spatial upscaling algorithm to make the game look as though it’s running at a higher resolution.”
-w w w . tomshardware “tal’k ha mmmm”/reference/amd-fsr-fidelityfx-super-resolution-explained

The default window mode appears to be 1280x720P. For example, upscaling from 720P to 2k the results are actually pretty interesting. I made a thread on this forum about using Vulkan with this game on windows and in my testing it was indeed faster. CPU bottlenecks can include depending on the situation, and its rare, resolution based draw calls for the geekly initiates to know. Everyone by now knows this game is in most cases CPU limited, and especially as it concerns high refresh rate competitive play.

Requirements: Lossless Scaling App in Steam. I flat out was unable to get the free software “alternative” magpie to work.

Directions:
Run the game in windowed mode. NOT borderless. Even on a 1080 screen set the desktop resolution to 2k or 4k. Do not mess with UI scaling percentage or you want be able to see what you are doing in the software being used to implement FSR.

One consideration:
At least on this 1080 screen upscaling to 4k always had a border around it. 1080 upscaled to 2k did not have this problem. THE SOLUTION IS GOING INTO NVIDIAS CONTROL PANEL, ADJUST DESKTOP SIZE AND POSITION, NO SCALING. Other graphics card users you are on your own at this time to figure out this potential problem.

Set StarCraft II into window mode. To select your resolution you have to drag the edges of the window to the desired resolution which an be monitored in the ReShade API tab. The starting resolution determines how detailed textures will be. The lower starting resolutions will also have more artifacts.

Select in Lossless Scaling AMD FSR 1

Choose the following:
Scale Factor 2 = Upscales to 1080
Scale Factor 1.5 = upscales to 2k
Scale Factor 1 = upscales to 4k (May have borders which isnt ideal)

Toggles the upscaler software on and off:
Cntrl + alt + s

This also works exactly the same way in Warcraft III Reforged. Once you set your base resolution, the one you are upscaling from, the game code will remember it even if you restart the game. It however will reset to 720p, at least from this 1080 if you play around with the window borderless fullscreen options.

Optional:
Yodas Raytraced Retro Studios for more information if you are more interested in the graphics improvement potential FSR offers alongside other complimentary changes.

Informational:
If you are after speed particularly at lower than 4k resolutions, using the GPU scaler would make more sense since a software scaler is going to put load onto the CPU. My assumption is this lossless scaling thingy uses whatever the nvidia control panel says, and it jumps how high. This is because when changing it, it caused this application to crash for me. It didnt happen everytime but it made it unstable implying something changed as it relates to the nvidia option change.

Sorry for the bump. This technology really is amazing. I even got the developer to remove the dumb sharpener pass he had a day ago. Literally just patched it today. So its faster, and preserves detail since the intelligent sharpener included you want on, unless you are after graphical improvement and thats your thing. Look at my youtube channel for more specific information in that case. FSR can help you get away with raytracing and it honestly looks great on weaker hardware not really intended for it.

I mean if you really wanted to you could run that game internally at 1080 and upscale it to 4k with a floating point stabilizer like TAA behind it, followed by FidelityFX like with my mod, it would be a good way to make your 4k screen but maybe not necc high fps capable GPU at said rez more viable. And trust me this is a noticeable improvement over dumb upscaler tech. I also suspect AMD used A.I. to build the model they have, thats highly generalized, but doesnt require temporal basically real time 16k playthrough scenario trained input like DLSS or the a.i. real time component. Its shockingly competent compared to DLSS 1.0 which was a disaster honestly.

Please provide your results and CPU GPU info. It probably DOES work on older hardware since this is only what they can ensure works properly or at all from testing. My guess is DX10 is the absolute wall though. DX9 hardware may work and that would be really fascinating because the nature of this technology is a great way to get more image quality from lesser performance capable machines which is almost like a sport in and of itself. Just remember FSR will ramp memory useage faster than it will rob you of processing power so even if you are the crazy scientist running this madness hypothetical StarCraft II experiment, the ideal is more memory.

Officially supported chipsets.

• AMD Radeon 6000 Series
  • AMD Radeon 6000M Series
  • AMD Radeon 5000 Series
  • AMD Radeon 5000M Series
  • [AMD Radeon VII]
  • AMD Radeon RX Vega Series
  • AMD Radeon 600 Series
  • AMD Radeon RX 500 Series
  • AMD Radeon RX 480, 470 and 460
  • AMD Ryzen desktop CPUs with AMD Radeon graphics
  • AMD Ryzen mobile CPUs with Radeon Graphics