FrostGiant studios announced new RTS

https://venturebeat.com/2020/10/20/frost-giant-studios-raises-4-7-million-for-real-time-strategy-game-revival/

Supported by dreamhaven, this studio raised 4,7 million $ to revive RTS genre. This could be dream game!!! Hope they will listen to community and it will have good aspects from starcraft.

I’m not hyped at all, they said the aesthetics they want will follow modern trends like fornite, among us…so something colorful and probably like carbot animations who also made their logo. For me aesthetics are extremely important and I like RTS being realistic or close to it, not like the hidden level of diablo 3.

5 Likes

Hmm i don’t give crap if it is 8bit, just if it is fun to play and balanced and isn’t 1 dimensional…

1 Like

I say to you the same thing I say about Dreamheven hype.

By hyping the game before even seeing/ playing the game you put pressure on the developer and overhype the game. Those creating recipes for disaster for developers.

Let’s wait for the gameplay before we assume they are the savior of RTS.

Not hyping game, just saying there is a hope for good rts game. Since there are devs from blizzard, which didn’t like where company was heading to… Obviously it can be dogsh it, no one knows yet…

Yes, but its like having a gf or a bf, being nice is not enough, there must be some phisical attraction, looks are important. Knowing RIOT is behind them and them saying that, I think the game will look pretty similar to LoL aesthetics or even more colorful.I just hope it is not too cartoonish.

Yes, hyping is a terrible idea, years will pass until they have some kind of demo, they don’t even know anyhting about they are gonna do.Instead of hype, just being happy that there is a new RTS on the horizon.

RIOT is behind them? LOL

Yes, and some other inversors. That can be good or bad, we will see.

You’re clearly demeaning women.

WAT

Men are also included, but somehow that commentary is just misogynist?

Oh, we all know that men are only interested in the looks of their partner. That’s just common knowledge.

I don’t think he is actually demeaning woman, he just meant it, he must like how the game looks. He just said that in a weird way. I was like wtf?

Do you read what I wrote?

It’s obvious, the brain reacts to what we see, you must like the other person or won’t be so attracted to him/her, specially on the first phases.It’s biology.And btw, I didn’t say that you must follow certain standards of beauty, just that you must like something to some degree to be more involved.Not saying that if you want to be with someone you must check their face, skin,weight and see if they have visible six pack and perfect teeth.

Yes, maybe the analogy wasn’t politically correct enough, but its the truth, persons are pretty visual, having a diferent artstyle changes a lot, see the gaming trends, what looks that has more demand, dark toned and serious themed games or bright colored ones?, most popular games are usually the later now, baybe thats why Frostgiant want to follow that trend, the game is niche enough, and maybe opting for that kind of art will open the game to more audience, in my case I don’t like it a lot, but I understand and accept the decission, specially because we don’t know the result, maybe when they release something I like the art because it feels fitting with the gameplay and game orientation.

“The studio’s strategy is specifically anchored on lowering the barrier to entry into RTS”

That line fundamentally concerns me. I don’t wanna play Warhammer, I wanna play StarCraft.

Doesn’t have to mean anything, starcraft 2 is easy to play hard to master, i don’t understand how anyone can have problem playing sc2. People are just angry, because they are bad, so if you don’t have enough time and are in gold, what is the problem, with time you spend playing, that’s probably good job, some people are stuck in platinum after 10 k games…

Also i would make game totally different per leagues, i don’t understand for example, why blizzard tried auto chronoboost and auto injects and turned that on globally, that’s just stupid… You can make game, which is more difficult as you rank up…

But game should be more strategy, lotv made game only about apm and reaction times, more than strategy. We don’t need 400 apm to play the game, but if you can get 400 apm good for you. That’s how it should work.

Yeah that’s a terrible experience. RTS games should be 100% consistent with their mechanics. Going a higher rank and losing a handicap just means people are more likely to rubber band as they don’t improve enough to handle having their training wheels removed but enough that the training wheels make it too easy. I would never play a game that does that.

1 Like

I can’t believe that you think so little of women. When they love someone, it’s more than just looks.

No it is not, it doesn’t have to be that major. Like auto chronoboost wouldn’t mean jack sh it, if it is in bronze to silver. People which want to improve will get out quickly, it takes like 1000-5000 games to get masters… First you need to improve in basic macro before you get on next level, it would actually help people to improve gradually and helped less skilled players to have fun!

It can be done adding a proper tutorial, like that old mod master of starcraft? that was about 30 misions in which you had to do multiplayer stuff like placing forcefields, splitting units…

The problem is not people who are stuck in a league after 10k games, the problem is new players who does not know anything about the game and how they must play the game, there is no place in the game that tells you that as terran you must make an orbital asap, that medivacs are good for healing your units and that you must combine troops and not building just marines from raxes without addons.No place in which you can learn that as Z your priority is making drones and not making troops with 10 drones and that if you dont inject, you lose.

That reminds me of the old practice league, for those who doesn’t remember it, was an optional ranked queue that you could play before starting the real deal, it was around 50 games in which you played at a slower speed and every base was blocked by rocks, so no cheeses and no early game strats could reach you.Sounds good?, no, it was a terrible idea, and had the aditional effect that you couldn’t fast expand because there was rocks.People once started the real league got cheesed to death.

The pylon is also important, big pylon energy attracts many adeps.

1 Like

I don’t know why you’re trying to make a joke about this. Very insensitive.