Final Short Story: Operation Blind Devil

I guess the broken horned zergling technically counts as being part of HotS’ main cast, so it follows that thread of these stories following those characters?

I know this one isn’t as involved or engaging as the others but I kind of prefer it to the stone one, maybe just because being inside the mind of an actual zerg character is something we haven’t had since Just An Overlord and this is a unique perspective on that. It also gives a pretty interesting insight into Kerrigan’s mindset during hots through flashbacks, although i suspect that’ll become the topic of the “do the khalai all suddenly use void energy now” style argument of this thread.

7 Likes

Look, i dont care what Blizzard says. His name is Tuskie and nothing can convince me otherwise.

8 Likes

That was a good one. Seriously I want him to return.

3 Likes

I vote we start a petition to re-do the epilogue so its broken tusk zergling instead of raynor sitting at the bar, waiting for kerrigan

9 Likes

What about Raynor and Broken Horn–he can think to himself, he knows that Raynor isn’t a threat, or at least he can learn that Raynor isn’t a threat.

lol

The story managed to get me more emotionally attached to a zergling than to all the characters of the other 2 stories combined.

5 Likes

Honestly, this one didn’t do it for me. The other two felt like they were advancing and following up on stuff post LotV and NCO, so this last story being about HotS was kind of a letdown.

Not to say it was bad, but I’d have preferred, say, checking up on Stukov or Dehaka.

Might just be my burning anti Kerrigan bias though. shrug

Meh. Read the 1st short story but now it’s just hard for me to bring myself to care about a universe where military defeats don’t matter and fairy godmother Kerrigan and tripping-balls Stetman are canon.

1 Like

It’s about Broken Horn. Not her.

But I rate this one and the Protoss short really high.

And I am saying that someone who loves Terrans the most and Nova is my favorite Terran character in the Starcraft “present”.

1 Like

Mayber You are one more boy of dogs, I really tend to be more easily emotional moved by animals than with people.

1 Like

although sI am pro Kerrigan I understand the point you wanted something to do with the general system of the race, such is the loss of the khala and the abandonment of the traditional ghost program, but in itself it has a general framework, what they did to that zerling did it to Zagara and that explains Zagara’s almost religious devotion to kerrigan

3 Likes

You’re right, this story makes cheer leaeder Zagara a bit more credible…

Btw this is my favourite short story, i love the idea of a sentient and self aware Zergling, way more interesting of “Scar” the zergling from comics, it really came with an amazing sense of mistery and suspense, especially loved the RIP AND TEAR UNTIL ITS DONE moment in the end.

I just hope that mah boi isn’t just dead but only fell asleep, even if black vision usually means death, plus all the damage he had to endure before escaping

1 Like

I read this one last night and loved it as well, it’s my fav of the three.

SPOILER QUESTION:

I’m left with the impression that Broken Horn dies at story’s end. Everyone else get said vibe?

In my opinion he could have experienced fate worse than death.

I think he has been severed from the Swarm.

given enough time, the zerg regenerate from everything. I think he would be able to reconnect, eventually.

1 Like

He was definitely severed from the Swarm, no question.

The blacking out he had though, and the way it was done, suggested to me that he died.

My money is on dead too.

I do like that this story explains why tuskie just disappears halfway through the game.

1 Like

Im almost certain they left it ambiguous in case they ever want to bring him back.

6 Likes

That’s my thoughts. It didn’t feel final enough to be a death, and they left it ambiguous as to what actually caused the blackout. Had it been him getting shot I’d say he’s dead, but it just seemed to be something in his implants triggering.

1 Like

Finally have time to read the story. I thought we are starting to understand the Zerg’s mind, but this one is about a special Zergling. A bit disappoint on that front.