This is the official thread for the extension mod Versus Evolved, currently available in the Americas region. It is accessible under Custom -> Melee -> Create With Mod.
This mod introduces dozens of units, options, and upgrades from the Campaign and Co-op Missions into Versus mode. You can select up to 5 points worth of Augments from the starting menu. Everything has its price though– you must always give something up in exchange, and even the strongest of additions may introduce drawbacks. These Augments range from individual units, to gameplay-modifying mechanics, to powerful factions like the Black Ops Terrans, Tal’darim, and Purifiers. You can even call upon powerful heroes such as Kerrigan and Alarak, command the might of the Spear of Adun, or collect biomass as Zerg to evolve your most lowly units into towering monstrosities.
Everything has been altered to better suit Versus mode, in the aim of providing a balanced gameplay experience, so that all players are evenly matched no matter what options they pick.
Currently, this mod is by no means balanced at all. While I doubt Blizzard-level balance will ever be achieved, I am hoping to get it to a place where the gameplay is as fair as possible, and there are no options that are overly game-breaking or unfun to play against.
The lobby host can also enable Mutators, allowing each player to choose one Mutator that will affect gameplay. Unlike in Co-op, Mutators in Versus Evolved affect all players equally. An alternate mode is “Chaos Studios Mode”, which randomly cycles Mutators with 3 active at a time. Not all Mutators from Co-op are available, due to gameplay conflicts, but many of the classic Mutators have been implemented. It is possibly to play with Mutators without Augments, or both at the same time.
Another option available in the lobby is “Big Game Hunters Mode”, which implements the classic Blizzard extension mod, increasing the resource quantity of mineral fields and vespene geysers.
I have designated this the official thread for all balance-related feedback, bug reports, and suggestions. I am looking forward to hearing what people have to say.
– [New] There is now a slight stutter during the camera zoom at the beginning of the match, a side-effect of the console colors fix. Currently not high-priority.
– Some unit models in the glossary appear ridiculously enlarged, to the point where only a part of the model is visible. Although they didn’t used to, the glossary camera values are now specified in a locked (unmodifiable) UI file – as I can add no data for those models, there is nothing I can do.
– The battle.net images have somehow been bugged – the color values for red and blue have been completely reversed, which makes the images look very strange. This is odd, as they look perfectly fine in the editor.
– Fixed an issue where the Stargate and Carrier Purifier skins were not displaying correctly.
– Even though I have disabled all collection-chosen skins in the mod data, including console skins, console skins chosen in the collection are still overwriting the default consoles.
– Kerrigan’s Queen of Blades model is not displaying properly, and is replaced by a placeholder sphere. I will fix this issue with the next release.
– There is no direct way to select console skins with triggers like there is with unit skins. I have found a workaround, but unfortunately, the buttons are not changing in color to match the console.
Future releases will include:
– More factions.
– Additional heroes.
– Gameplay updates and balance reworks.
– Randomized options for the AI.