[Editor] Data - Upgrades - Adding Effects Not Working Properly

This Bug appears to only apply to Maps or Mods that have Campaign Dependencies.

While in the Detail or Table View of the Editor, adding new Effects to an Upgrade will sometimes result in a failure to save the data, or it will only save partial data. Also, even if it does save the new data, when you go back to that Upgrade, while in the Detail or Table Views, it will no longer show up in the list of Effects. If it saved the data, then it does at least show the newly effected Actors or Units in the left hand pane of the Editor. However, the only way to see or edit the added Effect(s), or to get it to add it correctly every time, is to use the XML View.

For example: Adding an Actor or Unit Effect to “Zerg Ground Carapace Level 1” will now create a new list of empty values in the XML View, starting with the newly added effect at “<EffectArray index=“128” …”, with a list of empty indexes counting to 220. That is not how my old added Actor/Unit data shows up on other Upgrades, there are no sequential index fields, empty or otherwise. However, removing those fields in XML, still does not fix the issue of the Effect(s) not showing up in the other Views and breaks it further, by also no longer showing the effected Actors or Units in the left hand pane.

Adding the Units to the “Affected Unit Array” does still work properly, so that part is not an issue.

1 Like

Bump. Same issue, a year later. Glad to see this one flew under the radar. Please look into this Blizzard, it’s impossible to assign upgrades to units correctly. Teslaman explains the issue perfectly, I’m having the identical issue word-for-word…

Wanted to add; the issue extends beyond just “effects” - when modifying effects, weapons, icons, UI, abilities, behaviors, the editor seems to not save data or incorrectly save data and the changes are not translated into the actual project. It seems like an isolated bug related to changing ANY data in an Upgrade, through the Detail + Table view.

My example: By default, Terran Vehicle Weapons levels 1, 2, & 3 did not seem to affect the Cyclone. Trying to add weapon level, effect damage, and weapon icon change (added the same identical way the other units/effects are changes) did not save, dispute trying it many times. The only thing that happened as a result was the XML view getting completely screwed up, and I don’t know how to finish my map. This issue persists on other random things, like Thor’s punisher mode for example.

Still having the same issue in PTR client, as well as live client.

Bug seems to happen more often when changing bigger upgrades with lots of data entries, such as weapon/armor bonuses, like Protoss Ground Weapons for example.

Can verify what Teslaman said about it happening to maps with campaign dependencies. My map that is having this issue is using Void Story (Campaign) & Nova Story (Art Mod) as the only dependencies and this bug is frequent. I’ve not been able to duplicate the bug on maps without campaign dependencies yet.

Another year has passed, and I’ve just ran into this problem as well. Some upgrades won’t take in effects above 128 entries, while other are sitting perfectly happy with over 260, so it’s definitely not a byte overflow (as I assumed it might be).

If anybody has a workaround, I’d be thrilled to hear it.

I will link this post into my huge list of bugs.