Disdain for abilities that require you to take losses?

Stuff like this includes Sirius’ gear which does damage when he’s killed. Or HH’s Double Salvage Chance mastery.

Those in the form masteries can just be not chosen in favor of the other in the power set. TBF, Sirius’ one is obtained since it’s a prereq to his Ultimate Gear (which is nice). Haven’t paid attention to them much, but I do end up HH’s Death Effects since they’re nice, and HH units do their fair share of dying anyways.

Well, what about Banelings and Scourges? They are literally useful at death. HH’s ground units are similar to that, cheap to mass and small enough to die easy, so see them like Banelings in human/mech forms.

Then there’s Ascendants and Vipers who suck on teammates for energy…

To be fair, Sirius’ on-death ability applies to his turrets too. So it isn’t nearly as bad as you think.
Han and Horner’s death mastery is broken and doesn’t work. But some of their death abilities are better than others – namely Hellion and Reaper deaths. Bonus Attack/Movement speed and more burst damage.

Completely agree with your sentiment, effect after death mechanic is the worst type of effect.

If you are choosing the mastery for death effect though, change it to Airstrike as the bonus mastery doesn’t seem to apply (bugged). At least as far as I know, unless someone has different/more current information.

Yeah, Sirius’s aoe death upgrade is mostly used as a mass zergling counter.

They charge the turret, explode and die. Ironically Sirius is kinda in a weird strong spot. He’s listed as a dps but it takes like 3 turrets to match the mobile dps of another character, but his aoe fear makes him significantly almost reduce as if not more damage avoidance than a tank, (but cannonball will self revive while Sirius will leave good defences and natural detection).

Sirius’s auto attack dps is actually pitifully low but he’s still one of the top general picks for a good reason. He’s more like a pseudo tank/dmg reduction with static defense and stationary dps very good for attacking trains and protecting allies.

But if you’re using sirius as a suicide bomb (the hero), you’re probably doing something wrong unless it’s maybe a desperation scenario like idk. 10 heros from the storm mutator are all at 200 hp while your ally is about to die and your only answer is to explode the sirius with a anti zergling research for who knows why(???) XD.

I think its more flavor than something you should trigger. Ironically if you could just use the ability for 250 minerals on over 20 minute maps, i don’t think i’d mind it. Its the respawn and walk back time that makes it unproductive.

Fenix’s heroes have to die so the next one gain attack speed (Kadalis for example, biggest benefit).

Or Han’s units have to die to activate attack speed (helions) or reapers pulls a “banelings” move before they die.

Mengsk suicide bombers.

You can actually trigger the Avenging Protocol by killing any shell. Just usually end up being an auto-trigger cuz the champion ends up taking dmg to the face.

There is somewhat of a difference between something you can self-trigger versus a definitive ‘eventually die to trigger’. Most notably HH’s death effect is often used (as I’m sure you do this) to trigger ahead of battle. Meanwhile, HH’s salvage is horridly waiting for your units to die ==> pick up those drops ==> get some small return back :stuck_out_tongue: .

Lol, HH’s design is pretty bad in quite a few ways (old news xD).

I don’t do this. I don’t kill off my own units just to get a small benefit. I’m not Mengsk!

Haha, touché, but you should join the dark side :grin:

Banalings and Sirius’ turrets are different though (although I did forget that that gear applies to Sirius’ turrets as well.). They’re meant to be consumed in that way. The former are literally suicide units, while the latter don’t cost resources, just charges.

As for Sirius, I too do not recruit him just to use his self destruct thingy. But I’ll take that as an insurance policy (which ironically enough, you generally get insurance hoping you’ll never have to use it!)

I think that units that are “meant to die” are ok.
Suicide units are the most obvious, but also any units that

1. Cheap
  2. low hp high DPS
    Han units getting salvage is just a way to make them a little bit cheaper to replace (similar to Fenix P3)

I thought their land units are just like Banelings with an actually attack.

Kinda, just without their supply to cost efficiency or damage :stuck_out_tongue:

Well it really comes down to whether you’re expecting the unit to die or not. Stukov’s spawn broodling on his infested is fantastic. Megsnk’s P3 ability is kinda just broken. I think those are good examples of death effects being designed well.

HH’s salvage…that’s a bad design. It’s a really weak affect, and it doesn’t do nearly enough to make up for how fragile their army is. I mean HH is going to lose a lot no matter what, but a well designed ability for that kind of army would be something you could do a little strategy with - probably something more like Artanis’ Guardian Shell.

I don’t like units that are expected to die like baneling, but I like Sirius and Han’s Unit: Sirius death effect is more for his numerous turrets than for himself. Han’s Unit: I wasn’t creating any at all at first, but then I saw I had so much minerals and they cost only minerals and they have death effect, so they can be useful to help my main army (Horner’s one + Mira’s ship).

I don’t think requiring to take losses is the phrase here but rather cutting your losses since those mechanics give you something back in the form of resources or taking down a few more enemies allowing you to bounce back from the loss easier. If anything it’s Zagara P1 that does this since you are pretty much making a suicide bomber army.

I like Zagara. My favorite Zagara is Prestige 2, for a stronger army, but I started using P1 a lot for her sucide army for brutation, because it’s really super strong for most mutations!

You get back a lot of resources from HH; they were one of the first commanders I tried so I’m acclimated.

Hint: spec Double Salvage Chance. Significant Others would be good except mastery barely adds anything, and you need to amass an army first. Do the math

Horner naval unit losses are brutal though P2 ameliorates that